• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Computer not booting, need diagnosis asap

You could always download and make an ultimate boot cd which loads up before windows does. There are a bunch of HDD tests in there you could use to verify the HDD isn't bad so you can rule that out officially. I think it would work since you can get to the boot menu?

http://ultimatebootcd.com/

System Name Acer Aspire V3-771G-53218G75Maii
Processor Core i5 3210M (2,5-3,1Ghz)
Memory 8GB DDR3 SODIMM
Video Card(s) Geforce GT650M
Storage Samsung 830 256GB - 750GB Toshiba drive
Software Windows 7 x64 Home Premium (non-acer-bloatware)
Something is dying, and instead of just reinstalling your software it might be nice to actually know what is dying.
Thing is, you might be happy reinstalling Windows and getting everything set up right, but if after that your mobo fails, you're still in shit.

BIOS locking up, boot problems, this points to a couple of possible issues:
- Failing processor (heat? any dust in the coolers?)
- Failing motherboard (Northbridge possibly, due to its effect on the boot order)
- Failing HDD

In either case, back up your data first, then check your components individually.
- Test your HDD in a different PC. Use HDTune or something similar and scan the hell out of it.
- Test if your PC boots fine from a Linux live disc (Ubuntu for instance). Use 1 stick of RAM and no HDD's to eliminate everything from the equasion except the DVD/CD, Motherboard and CPU.
- If that fails, it's Motherboard or CPU. It's hard to figure out which without a spare CPU or motherboard.

Processor Intel Core i7-4770 @ 3.40GHz
Motherboard ASUS Sabertooth Z87
Cooling Corsair H60 Liquid Cooler
Memory Corsair Vengeance 4x8GB DDR3
Video Card(s) EVGA GTS 250
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD
Case Antec P280
Power Supply Corsair HX 750W
Software Windows 8.1
(By the way, yes I am using Windows 7)

Tried a whole bunch of things, none of which have worked. Huge post incoming:

Looks like you've got a competing bootloader. Disable other boot options in BIOS, see if that works.

If you can't disable other boot options, try and disconnect the backup drive and restarting.
I can't exactly disable the other boot options in BIOS, since for whatever reason my main HDD has never shown up in the BIOS boot menu (the one where I can disable/prioritize boot devices), despite it automatically booting Windows from it since forever.

When I unplug/disable my secondary HDD, I don't even get the blinking underscore; it seems as if my mobo doesn't even acknowledge that my primary HDD is a bootable device if the secondary one isn't plugged in.

I tried both of those; unfortunately, neither did the trick. It still bothers me that my main HDD has never shown up in the BIOS boot menu (despite it automatically booting Windows from it since forever).

try taking the CPU out of the socket and airclean the socket and the CPUs pins,

Then using fresh TIM reapply the cooler, clean the cooler too if needed.

this type of a problem seemed to occur if the HSF was on too tight on my PC
also make sure you didnt bend any CPU pins.

also make sure your RAM sockets are dust-free clean them with air.

also check that the sata cable to your HDD is connected tightly at both ends
and that there isnt any dust there either.

Unfortunately I don't have fancy cleaning supplies, as I'm stranded in my college dorm. I did remove and clean the heatsink, cleaned off any dust in that general area, and reapplied new thermal fluid. I also dusted off the RAM sockets to the best of my abilities, and made sure the SATA cables were as snug as I could get them.

I also believe the issue deals with boot order and hard drive issues. I have had this issue before when i was messing with my computer and had to unplug all of my hard drives. If your main hard drive doesn't appear in the boot list then there might be an issue with your SATA cable or socket on the motherboard. You may want to back up your information onto another drive and attempt reformatting the drive or formatting a spare hard drive and seeing if the computer can boot from that spare drive in all the ports you've tested so far with the bad drive. usually the underscore means its trying to access something but having issues. It sees that there is something to boot from but cant seem to boot from the device for some specified reason.
I did some experimentation with switching around SATA cables, plugging them into different mobo sockets, and neither of which worked, unfortunately.

All i can say is check the hard drive since that seems to be the issue since you can boot from a CD.
Perhaps I wasn't specific enough in my original post (or maybe I'm misreading yours). I can't actually boot my regular Windows from a CD; I'm only able to access the recovery options that pop up when booting from the Windows disc.

Also see if the backup hard drive isnt first in the booty priority since my motherboard gives boot priority and then has an option to select which hard drive to boot from first in line.
It is first in boot priority, but it always has been for whatever reason. See above for more details.

I don't think your HD is necessarily bad, and this might not be your problem either, but I've seen viruses lately that corrupt the boot sector and cause that blank screen with the flashing underscore.

Funny story (not really), but I had to reformat my main HDD due to a "rootkit" virus that I got prior. I haven't the slightest clue where I got it, since I'm pretty careful with downloading. Perhaps the rootkit is still rooted to the boot sector of my HDD?

If you use the Windows disc, get to Repair Your Computer, and then choose the command prompt, you can go to your drive letter (assuming C:) and then run:
/code here
And that will attempt to repair it. It doesn't always work, but it's worth a shot. It usually only takes a few minutes for each process.
As per my luck, the CMD window by default says (X is my backup drive letter) "X:\Sources\". When typing in the commands you suggested, it says that 'fixmbr/fixboot' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file." It seems that my computer really doesn't want to recognize my C:\ drive (despite me selecting it prior [as a Windows-installed drive] when in the repair menu).

Instead of doing a repair, you should be able to launch the CMD prompt from that Windows 7 DVD (If I recall). Launch that and run the following:

Chkdsk /f C:\ see if anything picks up in that scan.
This returns me with "The drive, the path or the file name is not valid." Possibly because it's trying to find it in my X:\ drive (as explained above)?

it still does except they would be switches so..

bootrec /fixmbr
bootrec /fixboot
bootrec /rebuildbcd

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927392
My computer said that all three of those operations were completed successfully (though in /rebuildbcd it says that there were 0 identified Windows installations). Unfortunately, this doesn't seem to have done the trick. Again, perhaps because it's trying to use the X:\ drive?

You could always download and make an ultimate boot cd which loads up before windows does. There are a bunch of HDD tests in there you could use to verify the HDD isn't bad so you can rule that out officially. I think it would work since you can get to the boot menu?

http://ultimatebootcd.com/
I'll pick up a CD at my university shop tomorrow, thanks for the tip.

BIOS locking up, boot problems, this points to a couple of possible issues:
- Failing processor (heat? any dust in the coolers?)
- Failing motherboard (Northbridge possibly, due to its effect on the boot order)
- Failing HDD
Fortunately, my BIOS didn't lock up after that one time mentioned earlier. I did clean the living hell out of my processor/heatsink/mobo/HDD , though (dust-wise).

In either case, back up your data first, then check your components individually.
- Test your HDD in a different PC. Use HDTune or something similar and scan the hell out of it.
- Test if your PC boots fine from a Linux live disc (Ubuntu for instance). Use 1 stick of RAM and no HDD's to eliminate everything from the equasion except the DVD/CD, Motherboard and CPU.
-Will look up HDTune and see where that takes me. Do I run that via another computer's HDD (like with my HDD plugged in via a secondary SATA cable or USB), or is it a CD that runs when booting my PC?
-I'm not incredibly familiar (read: at all) with Linux, so I'm not completely sure I'm going to go down that road unless absolutely necessary.

Memory 8GB DDR3 SODIMM
(By the way, yes I am using Windows 7)
*snip*

-Will look up HDTune and see where that takes me. Do I run that via another computer's HDD (like with my HDD plugged in via a secondary SATA cable or USB), or is it a CD that runs when booting my PC?
-I'm not incredibly familiar (read: at all) with Linux, so I'm not completely sure I'm going to go down that road unless absolutely necessary.

HDTune simply runs from Windows. If you can see your HDD from within (any) Windows, you can scan it with HDTune.

You don't have to be familiar with Linux. The Live CD is just a test to see if your system can boot an operating system at all :)

Phoenix319

Remove your graphics card from your computer and then try booting it up. Something like this happened to me once on an alienware laptop and it was my nvidia graphics card being fried.

Case Antec P280
Software Windows 8.1
Remove your graphics card from your computer and then try booting it up. Something like this happened to me once on an alienware laptop and it was my nvidia graphics card being fried.

When I do that, I don't even get any BIOS messages. What should I be expecting to happen? I'm fairly sure my mobo doesn't have on-board graphics.

TheMailMan78

Big Member
System Name TheMailbox 5.0 / The Mailbox 4.5
Processor RYZEN 1700X / Intel i7 2600k @ 4.2GHz
Motherboard Fatal1ty X370 Gaming K4 / Gigabyte Z77X-UP5 TH Intel LGA 1155
Cooling MasterLiquid PRO 280 / Scythe Katana 4
Memory ADATA RGB 16GB DDR4 2666 16-16-16-39 / G.SKILL Sniper Series 16GB DDR3 1866: 9-9-9-24
Video Card(s) MSI 1080 "Duke" with 8Gb of RAM. Boost Clock 1847 MHz / ASUS 780ti
Storage 256Gb M4 SSD / 128Gb Agelity 4 SSD , 500Gb WD (7200)
Display(s) LG 29" Class 21:9 UltraWide® IPS LED Monitor 2560 x 1080 / Dell 27"
Case Cooler Master MASTERBOX 5t / Cooler Master 922 HAF
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1220 Audio Codec / SupremeFX X-Fi with Bose Companion 2 speakers.
Power Supply Seasonic FOCUS Plus Series SSR-750PX 750W Platinum / SeaSonic X Series X650 Gold
Mouse SteelSeries Sensei (RAW) / Logitech G5
Keyboard Razer BlackWidow / Logitech (Unknown)
Software Windows 10 Pro (64-bit)
Benchmark Scores Benching is for bitches.
Im telling you a clean install will fix this.

System Name Corsair 900D
Processor FX8350
Motherboard Asus Crosshair V
Cooling Corsair H110I
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) Asus GTX1080
Storage 2x 500GB 1x 1TB WD Green
Display(s) Acer 24" 1080p / HP 27" 1080p LED
Case Corsair 900D
Audio Device(s) Sound Blaster X-Fi (Built in/Mobo) - Xonar Sound Card
Power Supply Enermax 1020Watt
Mouse Logitech Something Whatever
Keyboard Logtich G910
Software Windows 10
Your OS got hosed somewhere. Run Drive Fitness Test - DFT from hitachi before reinstalling windows, test that HD makes sure its still good. Should be able to download a .iso of it and burn it to a CD. http://www.hitachigst.com/support/downloads/#DFT

Case Antec P280
Software Windows 8.1
Alright, so whilst booting the computer reuglarly (no changes made since last post), the computer has returned to its 'look like it's booting for a second, shut off, and then look like it's booting with nothing displayed on the screen.' I'm beginning to lean more towards a mobo/PSU failure; can a busted HDD really prevent BIOS/the usual boot text from starting?

Memory 8GB DDR3 SODIMM
A busted BIOS can. Also try filling in your system specs in the User CP, makes it easier for us to see what hardware you have running (or not running atm).

As for the PSU: try one that works for sure :)

Case Antec P280
Software Windows 8.1
A busted BIOS can. Also try filling in your system specs in the User CP, makes it easier for us to see what hardware you have running (or not running atm).

As for the PSU: try one that works for sure :)

Right, how silly of me. Added system specs to my profile.

I guess I'll drive down to my parents' house tomorrow to pick up my old PSU to see if that works.

Memory 8GB DDR3 SODIMM
Your latest boot thingy does make it look like a PSU problem to me.

Just remember to try with as few components as possible, to rule out as much as possible :)

Phoenix319

When I do that, I don't even get any BIOS messages. What should I be expecting to happen? I'm fairly sure my mobo doesn't have on-board graphics.

If you dont have on board graphics then that wont work. You could try borrowing another graphics card and see if that works. Do you know any reason on why its doing this? software you installed or a virus you accidentally downloaded? Delete system 32? If nothing works then just reisntall OS by booting it from cd. I hope you backed your computer up. Dont completely disregard finding a different graphics card because that could be the problem. also buy a new cheap hard drive and see if that works.

Processor Intel Xeon x5660 (4.2ghz)
Motherboard Gigabyte X58A-UD3R
Cooling Corsair H100
Memory 24gb (6x 4gb DDR3 1600) Kingston Hyperx
Video Card(s) XFX Black r290x 4gb ddr5 OC
Storage 6x 2tb 64mb WD drives, Patriot Pyro sandforce2 drive ,intel 180gb ssd
Display(s) HP w2558hc
Case Corsair Carbine 500r
Audio Device(s) X-Fi Pro Fatality
Power Supply XFX 750 watt
Mouse Thermaltake Theron ee Sports+
Keyboard Corsair Vengence k70 RGB Cherry Red
Software Windows 8.1 x64
did you ever try booting with a bootable version of linux

or try booting of an xp/vista/7 install disk?

Case Antec P280
Software Windows 8.1
If you dont have on board graphics then that wont work. You could try borrowing another graphics card and see if that works. Do you know any reason on why its doing this? software you installed or a virus you accidentally downloaded? Delete system 32? If nothing works then just reisntall OS by booting it from cd. I hope you backed your computer up. Dont completely disregard finding a different graphics card because that could be the problem. also buy a new cheap hard drive and see if that works.
The last thing I had installed was W7 Service Pack 1, though that was 4 days prior to my computer failure. I don't think I ever downloaded any other software during that period.

did you ever try booting with a bootable version of linux

or try booting of an xp/vista/7 install disk?
At this point, I can't. Now my computer isn't even getting to the usual startup/BIOS messages (permanent black screen, computer restarts itself on startup), let alone letting me boot from a disc.

Anyway, I'm about to head out and grab my old PSU to see if that fixes it. If not, I'm probably going to head to a friend's house and try to find the root of the problem (I've been avoiding this since I've relied on him a bit too much in the past, what with me having mysterious hardware failure every 6 months).

In the mean time, if it is the motherboard; what's a good, high-end CPU/mobo combo I should look for (preferably Intel)? I need it to last as long as possible/match high-end gaming standards for as long as possible, as my Q6600 has lasted me a good 4+ years.

Case Antec P280
Software Windows 8.1
Alright, so after a few component swaps with a friend, we found that the graphics card was the root of the problem.

Thanks for the help and insight, guys!

Cooling Corsair H100
Display(s) HP w2558hc
Software Windows 8.1 x64
woot.. I called it :laugh:

TheMailMan78

Big Member
Memory ADATA RGB 16GB DDR4 2666 16-16-16-39 / G.SKILL Sniper Series 16GB DDR3 1866: 9-9-9-24
Video Card(s) MSI 1080 "Duke" with 8Gb of RAM. Boost Clock 1847 MHz / ASUS 780ti
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1220 Audio Codec / SupremeFX X-Fi with Bose Companion 2 speakers.
Power Supply Seasonic FOCUS Plus Series SSR-750PX 750W Platinum / SeaSonic X Series X650 Gold
Alright, so after a few component swaps with a friend, we found that the graphics card was the root of the problem.

Thanks for the help and insight, guys!

How was it the root?

Cooling Corsair H100
Display(s) HP w2558hc
Software Windows 8.1 x64
before you replace the video card.

Boot into windows and delete the videocard drivers.

Then put back in your old video card and see if it works

Case Antec P280
Software Windows 8.1
How was it the root?

I don't know, it just decided to start working when we swapped out the graphics card.

However, after a boot or two it went back to the original blinking underscore problem. I didn't want to deal with all of that BS again, so I just reformatted and everything seems operational.

Phoenix319

The last thing I had installed was W7 Service Pack 1, though that was 4 days prior to my computer failure. I don't think I ever downloaded any other software during that period.

At this point, I can't. Now my computer isn't even getting to the usual startup/BIOS messages (permanent black screen, computer restarts itself on startup), let alone letting me boot from a disc.

Anyway, I'm about to head out and grab my old PSU to see if that fixes it. If not, I'm probably going to head to a friend's house and try to find the root of the problem (I've been avoiding this since I've relied on him a bit too much in the past, what with me having mysterious hardware failure every 6 months).

In the mean time, if it is the motherboard; what's a good, high-end CPU/mobo combo I should look for (preferably Intel)? I need it to last as long as possible/match high-end gaming standards for as long as possible, as my Q6600 has lasted me a good 4+ years.
well then the graphics card thing is all i can think of. i know its a hassle but if you really want your computer to work than try it. Your description sounds exactly like mine when I had that problem. It should start up normally when you get a new one in there. unless you have onboard graphics than this is the only way.

TheMailMan78

Big Member
I don't know, it just decided to start working when we swapped out the graphics card.

However, after a boot or two it went back to the original blinking underscore problem. I didn't want to deal with all of that BS again, so I just reformatted and everything seems operational.

......I called it.

Phoenix319

Yay I helped Hejibits Please mention me im a fan of your comics and tell your roomate he is an asshole for me.

Case Antec P280
Software Windows 8.1
......I called it.

I'm just hoping it won't happen again, since I reformatted only a week before this week's hardware failure. But thanks! Your insight has saved my computer.

I called the graphics card problem though... but reformatting was your idea so you are the savior i guess. Im just glad to help him so I can enjoy his hilarious comics of rage and awesomeness.
I don't think anyone here knows what you're talking about, but thanks!