• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Computer Not Even Booting?

Fujin

Here are the specs of my older rig:

ASUS KBU-X mobo
AMD Athlon 64 3000+ 754pin
1 gig Atlas DDR400 RAM - Duel Channel (512 x2)
ATI 9600Pro 256
400Watt psu
17" CRT

Lots of chassis fans and an oversized psu fan

The problem is when I turn it on, it seems to power up fine (all fans running, hdd and dvd activity lights flash, vid card fan running, etc.) but I get absolutely no picture or activity from / on my monitor (matter of fact, it just says "Check Signal"). The monitor works when I hook a different rig up to it. The mobo and cpu are replacements that when I installed them (this is where I think I'm screwed) I noticed that several of the pins on the cpu were bent. So before installing it, I straightened the pins (with a tiny screwdriver as delicately as I could)...the cpu fit in the slot and everything seemed to install normally. If the cpu is fubared, will the psu still send power to everything else except my vid card? I know the vid card still works because I put it in a different machine and it booted right up. Is there another troubleshoot I can do or do I just need to return the cpu (if it even can be since I "adjusted" the pins...would touching the pins also cause me a problem?). Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

P

Protius

Here are the specs of my older rig:

ASUS KBU-X mobo
AMD Athlon 64 3000+ 754pin
1 gig Atlas DDR400 RAM - Duel Channel (512 x2)
ATI 9600Pro 256
400Watt psu
17" CRT

Lots of chassis fans and an oversized psu fan

The problem is when I turn it on, it seems to power up fine (all fans running, hdd and dvd activity lights flash, vid card fan running, etc.) but I get absolutely no picture or activity from / on my monitor (matter of fact, it just says "Check Signal"). The monitor works when I hook a different rig up to it. The mobo and cpu are replacements that when I installed them (this is where I think I'm screwed) I noticed that several of the pins on the cpu were bent. So before installing it, I straightened the pins (with a tiny screwdriver as delicately as I could)...the cpu fit in the slot and everything seemed to install normally. If the cpu is fubared, will the psu still send power to everything else except my vid card? I know the vid card still works because I put it in a different machine and it booted right up. Is there another troubleshoot I can do or do I just need to return the cpu (if it even can be since I "adjusted" the pins...would touching the pins also cause me a problem?). Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

do you hear any beeps? If the cpu is fubar your computer wont POST i.e.-start

Fujin

Nope...no beeps...I think the cpu is gone. And I bet because I tried to straighten the pins, an RMA won't be happening either :mad:

Could / would a bad cpu hurt the mobo? (may have to consider RMAing it)

System Name MONEY PIT
Processor i7-3770K @ 4800 1.20v batch #3231B415 Delided
Motherboard ASrock Z77 OC Formula w onboard waterblocks
Cooling Apogee HD, MCP655,rad MCR320-XP,Micro Rev2 res
Memory G,skill Trident X F3-2400C10D-16GTX
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 980 Ti Classified with EK nickel/acetal waterblock installed
Storage 2x120gig Wildfire raid0 2x120gig VERTEX3 raid0
Display(s) 3/ Samsung2343bwx + 65in LG 4K
Case NZXT Phantom White w/red
Audio Device(s) ReCon3d fatal1ty pro, Logitech z906 THX
Power Supply corsair AX860i
Mouse Rat7
Software 64bit ++++ win 10
pull the cpu and look at the pins again they might have bent again ... if still strait you can have it tested probably at a local computer shop [cost $25/35 us] just tell them to test don't tell that you fixed pins .... if dead try to RMA got nothing to loose at that point