1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Computer not starting

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Ravenas, Nov 6, 2007.

1. Ravenas

Ravenas

Thanks Received:
    Weird problem is happening with my computer...

When I turn the computer on it comes on for 3 seconds and then automatically shuts off (I can try this as many times as I want still never works).

When I remove the battery from the mobo it and put it back in about 5 mins later, the computer will start and then load to the POST SCREEN saying:

Load system with:
    Defaults
    Last known Good

The thing is if I click default the computer restarts and then turns off (doesn't work after this, goes back to the same problem as above). When I click last known good it won't work at all.

I just recently took my water cool out and I was having this same problem before, but when I would click last known good it the cmos would go back to 2.66 GHz OC with all the other settings I had and would work fine. Unfortunately, I'm using my stock heatsink now so I can't run the CPU at 2.66 GHz, therefore I can't get the computer to start.

What could be the problem?

2. hat

hat Maximum Overclocker

Thanks Received:
    Give your PC ten thousand fists :p
    I would reseat everything first. something probably came a little loose.

Ravenas says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  3. DrunkenMafia

Thanks Received:
    what a shit problem that is, I hate it when the pc won't start for no apparent reason...

You need to get into the bios firstly. I know you can't but that is the first step to achieve.

Try unplugging everything unecessary, including all but 1 ram stick and see if you can get into bios that way. It sounds like your voltages or something might be screwed up..

BTW. When you remove the cmos batt, did you have psu unplugged/switched off??

Ravenas says thanks.
  4. goober New Member

Thanks Received:
    Sounds like your PSU is under wattage or dead/dying. Or you have a dead/dying mobo. Ive had that before. OR...lol...you damaged something with an overclock.

Ravenas says thanks.
  5. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    When you select "default" the computer is probablly trying to boot from your floppy drive or something because your bios isn't set up. SO..... Start from default, and go through your bios thouroghly changing the settings where needed be.

6. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    A good suggestion, however you should read, then process the thread correctly in you brain. It's obviously bios setting that need to be corrected. 850 watt PSU btw.

Ravenas says thanks.
  7. Kursah

Kursah

Thanks Received:
    I also agree with erocker, if you can get default to and keep it running, try what he stated. I think you'll be back up and running in no time.

8. Ravenas

Ravenas

Thanks Received:
    Hmmm, well I finally fixed it.

Seems that all the extras in BIOS like C1E and Virtulazation Technology (ect..) were using too much power maybe? I turned all of those extra options off and everything is working fine!

:toast:

What's weird is that when I first built this rig all of those options were on and everything worked just fine... :confused: