1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

computer post of 1 long beep and 3 short beeps

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by ASRockIQ, Jan 17, 2009.

1. ASRockIQ

ASRockIQ New Member

Thanks Received:
    tomorrow i'll be going over there. when i had it here at my house it ran fine. nothing crashed or gave 1 long beep and 3 short beeps (this is what my GF heard but it could be other beep codings). the 1/3 short beeps mean a Keyboard controller failure. she said she didn't get any Display up on the screen. this means my POWERCOLOR 9600Pro maybe dead or something esle other then those beeps is going. she also stated sometimes the System would boot but Vista would say a file is missing or corrupted so yeah this could very well be a Hardware issue. i have other RAM sticks for i'll be testing those out but i highly doubt it's the RAM.

Specs:

Mobo: KM4AM-V
    CPU: AMD Athlon Xp 2000+ 1.67GHZ
    RAM: 1GB A-DATA Dual-Channel PC3200
    HDD: IDE 40GB for OS IDE 320GB for SLAVE
    Keyboard/Mouse: Wireless (some cheap brand from Walmart) both devices connect via a USB Wireless Adapter
    Other: Netgear PCI Wireless Adapter WG311v5

also, just to let you guys in... earlier when i used that system when i put it together in my old case i forgot to screw in the stand-offs back then and the Mobo wouldn't boot. i figured out the problem but i may have damaged the CPU or the CPU socket as the BIOS nor the OS detects the Temperature of the CPU. could just be the CPU though but this couldn't be the issue. the CPU has worked fine for me ever since.

2. Castiel

Castiel

Thanks Received:
    CPU could be fried.

3. MRCL

MRCL

Thanks Received:
    ASRockIQ says thanks.
  4. ASRockIQ

ASRockIQ New Member

Thanks Received:
    i highly doubt that man. i just applied new Thermal Paste and had that Computer running for a few hours at my house.

as stated above i will seek into the RAM. the RAM is quite new though.

5. MRCL

MRCL

Thanks Received:
    New RAM can also fail;)

ASRockIQ says thanks.
  6. ASRockIQ

ASRockIQ New Member

Thanks Received:
    and i paid good $30+ on that too! also, concerning the CPU and BIOS not reading the Temp. could it very well be the Socket that's damaged or the CPU?

7. ASRockIQ

ASRockIQ New Member

Thanks Received:
    can the last question be answered?

8. ASRockIQ

ASRockIQ New Member

Thanks Received:
    hey guys, i have looked into the problem farther and it seems the Mobo doesn't POST and there doesn't seem to be any signal to the Computer's Display. i tried taking the battery out and had everything unlugged for a few hours maybe 5hrs at most and tried to boot. it still didn't post. i tried different RAM and it isn't the RAM. tried unplugging everything (the CD Drives, HDDs, and still no POST. i'm asuming the Mobo Battery is dead or the CPU hated up and fried (it gets hot in my GF house). it though could be the PSU but that is very unlikely. it's a Rosewill 550W and it's new! she has a frien ordering a new CPU and i'll see if it's the CPU.

about the heat in her Room. it gets so hot that when i one day i came over and i wanted to see how hot the Heatsink was to get a idea of how hot the CPU was getting since the BIOS can't read the Temp due.. to CPU or Mobo Socket Damage and when i placed my fingers there for nearly 5secs i had tol et go. it's that hot! please give any othe ideas or suggestions.

9. Paulieg

Paulieg The Mad Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Umm, turn down the heat in her room? Cover or close one of the heat vents?

10. ASRockIQ

ASRockIQ New Member

Thanks Received:
    hehe, funny you should say that man. her parents don't listen and the heat coming from the vent can't be stopped. you can stop cold air but not hot air.

so, more then likely the CPU over heated and is damaged?

11. G@dn!q

G@dn!q

Thanks Received:
    I don't know what is the bios of your mobo, but mine is asus and the booklet says: "1 long and 3 short beeps = No VGA Detected !". I hope it helps.;)

Last edited: Jan 19, 2009
  12. ASRockIQ

ASRockIQ New Member

Thanks Received:
    BIOS for hers is AWARD BIOS i believe. here are the beep codes Link my GF said 1 long and 3 short but she could be miss leading. i think it's the CPU that is damaged. i tried booting with and without the 9000Pro but both trys didn't boot. both the front panel LED and Power LED stay on.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2009
  13. G@dn!q

G@dn!q

Thanks Received:
    what do you mean by "i forgot to screw in the stand-offs"? do you mean the stand-offs that separetes the mobo from the case panel. if that is the case maybe the mobo is damged.

14. ASRockIQ

ASRockIQ New Member

Thanks Received:
    at the time when i was 14 that Mobo listed is and actually was my first build ever. the case i bought had a hump to where the Stand-offs would go so i stupidly figured that i didn't need them. when i booted the PSU would make a wierd sound and would not turn anything on so yeah i had to take it to a computer store. they said i was lucky and that i forgot to put the stand-offs on. they said the CPU was damaged but i forgot what part they said was and they said that CPU would last only like another year.

so yeah it was my fault. now though the Mobo is on Stand-offs but is in a diferent case. it just could be the CPU (they said the Mobo was fine). again, i will test this when i get the new CPU. the CPU is the same AMD Athlon 2000+ 1.667MHZ Socket A.

15. ASRockIQ

ASRockIQ New Member

Thanks Received:
    Update: it was the CPU that caused the problem. the new CPU is installed and working great. although it is true the Socket on the MB is damaged and BIOS cannot read the Temp.

i did place my hand on the Heatsink and it wasn't hot hot but just warm.

16. ChiSox

ChiSox

Thanks Received:
    Are u applying thermal to the chip???

You can monitor the temp using everest in windows http://majorgeeks.com/download4181.html

I would suggest a new mobo if the socket is damaged it could be doing your cpu wrong.

Hope all goes well not having a comp is like not having putter and you're on the green

17. ASRockIQ

ASRockIQ New Member

Thanks Received:
    i applied new Thermal Compound don't worry. the socket may very well be damaged. i took the computer away from her. she can't seem to do the simplest things around her house and what not.

18. <<Onafets>>

<<Onafets>>

Thanks Received:
    LOL Leave the PC burnin' tothe men LOL :nutkick:
    I had the same prob and my VGA and PSU were blowin' hot crap outa em' LOOOOL :laugh::roll: