1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Computer problems, Primarily with Radeon HD4850's D1601 and D1602 lights

Discussion in 'AMD / ATI' started by sudano68, Dec 1, 2008.

1. sudano68 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I am having a problem with my somewhat new gateway.

Intel Q6600 @ 2.4ghz
    4gb RAM 2x 2gb
    750gb + 320gb HD's
    DVD burner drive (stock) and a LG burner
    Radeon HD4850 512mb
    vista prem 64 bit

I recently was having problems with my drive reading a cd, even though it read dvds and wrote them fine. I went in my old computer and took a hard drive out and my LG drive and put them in my new computer. I formated the drive last night, it worked fine. I forgot to plug the white 4 pin wire from the PSU into the back of the drive. (forget the name of the wire). This was today and it then wouldnt start. The power button seems to has "lost it's click" somehow and I can't click it to power it up. I went inside, checked for lose cables and the usual, and nothing. I unplugged the computer from the wall power (back of PSU) and then i plugged it back in, and with out pressing the power button the computer turned it self on. I didn't press the button. The two lights on the video card lit up, the fans turned on, then the lights flashed again, and the computer shut down. Why would the computer turn on right when I power up the PSU with out pressing the power button on the front of the computer? I get nothing, no bios or anything. The power supply is fairly new, and 500 watt. I tried unplugging the new hard drive and lg dvd burner and got the same problem.

I just switched my HD 4850 with my older x1800 xl 256mb and I saw no lights, but the computer still started on it's own and shut down and when I press the button, I get no "click" and it stays off.

I'm getting very stressed out and pissed because I am 18, and lost my last job and won't be able to order any parts because I'm broke at the moment unlike when I was working. I spent so much time and money on this computer and do not wan't to end up putting it in the closet and having no computer after spending over $1,600 on it.

Please help anybody... I already feel like there is nothing I can do.

Edit: I unplugged mostly everything and took out the video card, plugged the wire into the back of the psu and the fans turn on for about 1 1/2 seconds then power down.
  2. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    With the lights going on, you have two problems. The first being your card is overheating, the 2nd being there is insufficient volts going to your card from the 12v rail on the PSU.
  3. sudano68 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Is the 12v Rail is the 3x3 black wire that goes into the video card?

My video card isn't hot and the fan works on it.
  4. ShadowFold

ShadowFold New Member

Thanks Received:
    Sounds like a no name PSU with lacking +12v rails to me.
  5. sudano68 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Antec? Bought it at best buy for either $70 $80 or $100, to be honest I don't remember how much I payed. It's 500 watt and I never had any problems with it. Actually bought this one to replace my older one that died..
  6. erocker

Thanks Received:
    Yes, the 6 pin cable is connected to the 12v rail. What is the brand and model of your PSU? Check your tempuratures of the video card using GPU-Z.
  7. sudano68 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Can't check temps, the computer won't turn on. It's not hot thought and I haven't played any games since this morning. I have a feeling it is something else.

This thread kinda migrated from ATI to basic computer problems, admin feel free to move it. Sorry, I thought it was the card at first.
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2008
  8. mrhuggles

mrhuggles

Thanks Received:
    powering its self on like that is fairly normal, and the power button looseing its click prolly means its dead, maybe hook up a different button? try hooking the reset button to the power buttons spot on the motherboard and useing that.
  9. sudano68 New Member

Thanks Received:
    It's a stock gateway case. I don't know how I would change any of that. When I get home tonight I'm going to take out it's stock CD drive, put in the new one. Swap the power supplies and see if that works. I know the stock PSU works with the HD 4850 in it, so I can't see adding another hard drive using to much power. It's worth a shot. I really hope it works, I don't have any money or time to throw around fixing the computer. That's what I did all last year and I got tired of having computer problems. That's also why I just bought it at best buy. I was originally going to build it. Hope it works tonight with the old PSU in it...
  10. Solaris17

Solaris17 Creator Solaris Utility DVD

Thanks Received:
    rebuild its either psu or grounding take every thing out including mob tighten the stand offs remove proc and rebuild.
  11. 95Viper

95Viper

Thanks Received:
    I know this might sound simple, but when you say it lost it's click...did you mean a real click sound or feel.

Power or reset button maybe stuck, if that is the case.
    sudano68 says thanks.
  12. sudano68 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Before it seems like it just had a click it made when you pushed it. Kinda hard to explain now that you mention it. I'll go play around with it a little more and check the obvious. I've checked all the wires inside, and now that I put back the original PSU I've checked again. I cannot see what wire is for the power button though. So as of right now the problem is when I plug in the wire from the wall to the back of the PSU it turns on, see the red lights on the 4850, fans go on, then it all shuts down. Then from there pressing the power button on front does nothing.

But I switched back in the old PSU, same problem. Nothing different. I've switched graphics cards, power supplies and with no luck. I really need my computer back working. :(

Any other ideas?
  13. erocker

Thanks Received:
    You think that the power button on the case might have gone bad?
  14. sudano68 New Member

Thanks Received:
    How could I see inside to check? I can take off the side and front panel, can I take off the top by any chance, and how would I check? What would you do? I'll go play around see if I can get anything to change and get some luck. I'll check back here in a few minutes.
  15. erocker

Thanks Received:
    Well.. the power button is supposed to "click" if it no longer clicks then it's stuck. If that is the case, you need to contact Gateway or the place you purchased the computer and ask for a replacement button.
    sudano68 says thanks.
  16. sudano68 New Member

Thanks Received:
    It was the button! I took off the side, then the front, and then finally the little back thing over the power button, two usb's, and something else. Clicked the button (the real button on the inside) and the blue light went on as normal, and it started right up. Going to go put it back together.

I want to just thank you guys, I really appreciate this. I know a good amount about computers for my age, but I would have figured that to be a fried mobo or processor. Thank you guys so much. I'll stick around, this seems like a great website. Take care guys.
    95Viper and erocker say thanks.
  17. 95Viper

95Viper

Thanks Received:
    No problem...obivious things are usually the last looked at!:)
  18. sudano68 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I think I might stick around to stay up to date with things. I feel behind recently when I gave up because none of my computers worked well and I always got mad and lost interest in computers. Time to get back up there. :)