1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Computer Randomly Freezes Every So Often While Gaming, Browsing Internet Or On Deskto

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by TricksterMatt, Jun 19, 2010.

1. TricksterMatt

TricksterMatt

Thanks Received:
    Hey guys, I keep randomly having computer freezes every so often when i'm gaming, on the Internet or just on the desktop. It is really frustrating and annoying, it either just goes to a blank screen forever until i reboot computer or it BSOD randomly. I tried re-formating my computer twice and it still had same problem and ran everything at stock settings and still no luck. And sometimes when I turn on my computer, the boot-up screen all the way to windows 7 has like massive lines everywhere all over the screen like its artifcating, but my temps are extremely fine, cause i boot the next day following. And when gaming, it randomly just freezes the whole computer and no bsod or anything so i have to restart. Is this my HDD? I don't know what's going on, it can't be any of my components because they run everything fine and nothing suspicious about them cheers.

2. swordfish666 New Member

Thanks Received:
    1 - Have you tried installing the X86 (32bit) version of Windows 7 ?
    2 - Are you sure that there is no malicious software running background (viruses, I mean :laugh:)?
    3 - Is your BIOS up-to-date ?

:)

3. TricksterMatt

TricksterMatt

Thanks Received:
    1 - No
    2 - Yes, cause I did a clean re-install of Windows 7
    3 - Yes

4. swordfish666 New Member

Thanks Received:
    1 - I suggest that you install X86 (32bit) and try again.
    2 - If you have more than one partition or drive, there may be viruses on them. Even though you install a clear Windows 7, they may be activated when you access the drive. (Try installing Windows on only one drive which has only one partiton. By this way, you'll have a real clean Windows.)
    3 - Nothing to say.

Good luck ;)

5. slyfox2151

slyfox2151

Thanks Received:
    run a test on your HDD, HD tune i think has a scan option.

also check the SMART data.

6. Tatty_One

Tatty_One Senior Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    This sounds like a typical memory related issue to me, could you let us know what speed your memory is running at and the VDimm voltage you are using?

7. choppy

choppy

Thanks Received:
    sounds memory related to me too , just take your ram out and replace with known good working modules. see if that works?

8. TricksterMatt

TricksterMatt

Thanks Received:
    I have been running my memory (see specs) for a year and a bit now and never had problems, and it was running at 1066MHZ at 2.1V at 5-5-5-15-22-2T timings, but now have just went back to default settings on everything and so far so good no freezes or any crap like that, I think since upgrading from an 8800GT to GTX 275 and amd 7750 to an amd phenom 965 might be one of the problems why its causing random freezes, because its probably using up most of my power supply now and leaves no room for overclocking or stuff for things like my memory so i might just keep it stock then.

9. Tatty_One

Tatty_One Senior Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Your PSU should be OK, you might find that just a one incremental bump in your VDimm voltage would solve the issue.

10. lyndonguitar

lyndonguitar I play games

Thanks Received:
    Check your HDD. Reinstall Drivers on Video card(or any other devices). run Memtest. Check PSU. Check Audio Codecs. could be anything. could you post a picture of the screen when its BSOD'ed? make sure its readable

11. SUPERREDDEVIL

SUPERREDDEVIL New Member

Thanks Received:
    i think it can be your catalyst drivers. if you´re using 10.6 or 10.5, roll back to 10.4, it´s the most stable one right now.

12. Sasqui

Sasqui

Thanks Received:
    I recently got PORKED by a power supply and my system was doing the same thing as you describe. It also took out a replacement motherboard with it (I thought I had narrowed it dow to a USB keyboard, then a MB, shit was I wrong.)

You do have a good PSU, but don't rule it out.