1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Computer reboots or freezes - please give some advice

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by kar, Apr 15, 2005.

1. kar New Member

Thanks Received:
    dear :
    I am new to this forum and would like some advised from you all.
    I had recently buy a sapphire 9550 256 mb graphic card .
    i am using WIn XP SP2 ...and dont know why my computer keeps restart or it just freezh windown Xp up .

sempreon 2200 ,
    512 mb
    120 Gb
    WIn XP SP 2

I had try reinstall the graphic card driver ,and resemble the graphic card again and again .
    but it still not working .After a while ( few hours maybe or less than 1 hours ) it will restart .
    sometime restart 4 -5 hours .I had check Processor temperate ,is fine ,

Any advised for you ,thank you

2. djbbenn

Thanks Received:
    Hey

Is your computer overclocked? Because that could make it unstable causing it lock up or restart. Or did it just start as you put the new card in? Has VPU recover ever poped up, and what version of the drivers are you using? Post back.

-Dan :D

3. kar New Member

Thanks Received:
    thank for you help ,,,,
    i do not over clock my computer ,and no this happend when i build my pc ,i previously had a gforce 4 Fx 5200 ,and it gave me this problem so ,i refund the graphic card and buy a 9550 ....and it still gave me the same problem ...

yes ,THe VPU some time pop up ,, sometime not ,but just to let you know i am using Kv7 abit motherboard ...

and my graphic card driver is Version 5.4 with CATALYST™ Control Center (33MB)*for win xp ...
    thank you

4. nightelf84 Guest

failing PSU?

5. djbbenn

Thanks Received:
    So it also happened with another card too...weird. Is your voltage for the AGP slot 1.5V? Cause it seems weird that 2 differnet cards did it in the same computer. How many watts is your PSU? Cause if it is underpowered that could cause it, or if it is failing like nightelf84 said. :confused:

-Dan

6. dzeee New Member

Thanks Received:
    This sounds remarkably similar to a problem i was having on my:
    SEMPRON 2200
    256 RAM ORIGINAL + 512 RAM I BOUGHT
    K7S741MG-ES (thats the socket A mb)
    MSI FX5500
    XP HOME SP2

i never had the problem before i installed my FX5500 when out of the blue it started restarting & sometimes it would restart 3,4,5 times all in a row in quick succession, XP came back once it finally booted up & created a error report, that stated the problem was caused by a graphics device driver. i lost track of which drivers i was using i tried about 3-4 differant tpyes including new ones & windows xp certafied drivers & the original ones.

The thing is it seemed to sort itself out, i reinstalled the card about 5 times (actually took it out the agp slot & reinstalled various drivers) i also updated my direct x drivers. maybe it was something there im not sure.

Another thing about 3weeks later it kept freezing, then it was a problem with the original 256 ram.

sorry not to give you something exact but maybe theres something there to help.

7. malware New Member

Thanks Received:
    In some cases, this could be a problem from enabled fast writes. Disable FW in BIOS and see how it works. Other possibility is not enough power.........try with another PSU.

EDIT: Now I can see that you use ABIT KV7. You MUST see at first chance if there're blown capacitors.
    That was the main ABIT problem before, especially with KV7 mboards.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2005
  8. Nergal New Member

Thanks Received:
    1) try to load the "default or safe" settings in the bios.
    2) see what tem your CPU/GPU/MB raises to in windows, could be a
    malfunctioning cooler, also check the cooler of the PSU. (sandra sisoft can see everything + run tests)

perhaps it is a problem with the ram, one of my old 512SDram sticks is a bit broken, it won't work anymore on 133MHZ, but is fine on 100MHZ

9. kar New Member

Thanks Received:
    dear :

thanks for all people above ..well i am using a 420 W levicom PSU ,
    and i just reinstall everything and a friends of my ask to to tune down my processor speed in BIOS ,from the command fast to normall .Weird thing happend when i do this my processor speed apprear in windown is not a sepron 2200 anymore ,it appear a athlon processor .ANd after i turn down the speed ,my computer now still havent crash or freze for 2 days ,,, 48 hrs ,i am still trying ...

FOR MALVARE ...
    what is Fast write ? ( FW ) .sorry as i am not good in BIOS setting ...

thank you all

ANyway

10. kar New Member

Thanks Received:
    Just one more question ,
    i am actually using 2 different brand of memory ,
    one is 512 mb crucial memory pc 3200 400 hz ...and other one is 512 mb ebuyer ( no brand )memory pc3200 ..200 hz ,,,

will this actually crash or freze my computer ?
    thank you

11. djbbenn

Thanks Received:
    It could be your memory, because if they are 2 differnt types of ram, they may have differnent timings. So the BIOS will set default timings for the ram, but the ram may have different timings to one another so there is instablilty in the ram making it crash. Try and losen the timings or take one stick out and see how it works.

-Dan

12. malware New Member

Thanks Received:
    kar here's the answer:

Fast Writes improves all writes from the CPU to the graphics chip including:
    All 2D operations
    Operations involving writing to the frame buffer or sending any data to the graphics chip.
    Loading textures in Direct3D into local memory.
    Writing push buffers to graphics local memory – this is where most of the performance boost is generated.

It's a BIOS option, which gives you nothing more than about 200-300pts in 3D mark for example, and sometimes........problems like yours.

If you use two different sticks of memory, there's always a chance of incompatibility problems.

13. Jimmy 2004

Jimmy 2004 New Member

Thanks Received:
    PC3200 memory won't be 200MHz, unless your not talking in terms of DDR. The DDR speed for PC3200 memory is 400MHz like your crucial. Even PC2100 is 266MHz, so both your types of memeory should be operating at the same speed. The fact that the memory is Ebuyer could make it unstable - Ebuyer mem has bad reviews.

14. zAAm

zAAm

Thanks Received:
    :D LOL! 200 Hz? Nah, I'm just kidding...

If their the memory's timings differ, they'll most likely just run at the slowest timings that either of them support. Also, it may be the PSU, maybe even a faulty motherboard? But I can say for sure that that BIOS setting of yours may have done the trick. The performance modes on most BIOS's increases the timings on the chipset and can make your computer unstable. My PC doesn't last 5min in Windows on Turbo performance setting... It reboots or crashes. So I just put it on standard and I'm not having any visible performance decreases. So just leave it at that setting and see if it'll clear up. :D

15. Kylex1x New Member

Thanks Received:
    Having Similar Issues

I recently fitted a new graphics card to my pc an Asus N6600, and scince then i havent been able to watch any movies my pc just locks up makes a beep noise, no response from any thing. Then it reboots, would be greatful if anyone could help thanks.

16. mex New Member

Thanks Received:
    if you want to troubleshoot the error more then to stop it restarting then go to system properties box and click on the advance tab, Click on the settings box in Startup and Recovery box and unselect the box that says Automaticly restart. This will as it says stop your computer restarting on the critiacal Stop error that you are getting.

We would need to know more information about you pc like what graphics card it is and have you installed the drivers for this card. What program are you trying to use to watch your movies on.

Have you tried using another DVD Player like media player? Does it crash when you open the spftware or when you insert the CD?

Have you made sure the card is seated properly and that you have plugged in any extra power plugs that it may need?

17. trog100 New Member

Thanks Received:
    it sounds like your cpu is unstable if slowing it down has fixed the instability problem.. u dont say how much it has slowed down.. ???

one other option would be to leave it at the other speed and raise the core voltage slightly.. is the cpu being cooled properly..??

a cpu should be stable at its default speed but a slightly faulty one can exhibit overclocking symptoms even when it isnt overclocked.. slowing it down fixes things..

trog