1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Computer refuses to post every now and then.

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Conall, Nov 20, 2008.

1. Conall New Member

Thanks Received:
    Some of you may remember me from a few months back.
    I was asking for advice about building a new PC, and up until recently it's been running great.

A few days ago, I was playing Fallout 2, when the computer locked up completely.
    I had heard of the game causing this in the past, and thought nothing of it.
    Just reboot and everything would be fine, right? Not so lucky.

I held down the power button so it'd turn off.
    After it did, I pressed the power button again, just as the computer was turning itself back on for whatever reason, causing it to shut off just as soon as it began starting up.

Thought it was strange, but didn't think anything of it, until I tried turning it on again, and it refused to post.
    I turned it off again, and let it sit for a moment before trying to reboot. Still didn't post.
    Tried a few more times, nothing.
    After nearly crapping myself thinking I had just bricked my $1,300 PC, I decided to take a look inside. I saw nothing out of the ordinary other than a few cobwebs and dust, which I cleaned out with compressed air.

After plugging everything back in again, I tried starting it up one last time, and for some reason it worked.

Now it has refused to post AGAIN three times within the past few days, however turning it off and on again causes it to post and start up without problems, however tonight it needed to be restarted twice before it did so.

I'm worried something is dying in the damned thing, and I'd like to hear what you more experienced users have to say about this.
    One last thing, after it does start up, it still runs beautifully.
    No errors or problems of any kind, just doesn't want to post every now and then.
  2. Fastmix

Fastmix New Member

Thanks Received:
    I would remove the mb battery and clear the cmos....see if that helps.
    Conall says thanks.
  3. Conall New Member

Thanks Received:
    I really don't know how to do that.
    Could you direct me to instructions for this, for a Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L motherboard?

Edit: Nevermind. Received a PM informing me that the process is covered in the manual.
    I'll have a look tomorrow.
  4. Polaris573

Polaris573 Senior Moderator

Thanks Received:
    [​IMG]

Remove the battery outlined in red and remove the jumper outlined in yellow. Then replace them, boot, and select your desired BIOS settings.
    Conall says thanks.
  5. DaMulta

DaMulta My stars went supernova

Thanks Received:
    Sounds like your power supply is dieing......
  6. Polaris573

Polaris573 Senior Moderator

Thanks Received:
    Are there any POST beep or light codes?
  7. Conall New Member

Thanks Received:
    When everything is working as it should, there is a single beep shortly after powering on, then the computer posts and starts up as normal.

When it refuses to post, the power is on as indicated by the three case fans and the cpu fan are all on, as are the leds.
    However, there is no beep, and the machine does not post.
  8. human_error

human_error

Thanks Received:
    I used to have something similar with my old rig, as a test have you powered it on (doesnt need to post, just get the fans etc working) and then press the reset button while it is still powered on to see if that gets it to post?
  9. DaMulta

Thanks Received:
    Bad memory stick then.....maybe

ultimate iso cd

Next time you get it running boot this CD
    http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/download.html

And then do all the memory test.

you need to let them run for hours sometimes....
    Conall says thanks.
  10. Conall New Member

Thanks Received:
    human_error, Yes I've tried that. Pressing the power button in this state does nothing at all.
    DaMulta, I'm quite certain at this point that it is the motherboard, and hopefully all I'll have to do is what Fastmix suggested.

Computer was running fine until the game locked up the computer, and I tried powering it off and then back on immediately after.
    As I said the computer restarted itself just as I pressed the power button, causing it to shut off at that instant.

I've had a similar thing happen to a much older pc I had, now that I think about it.
    Never got it working again, however.
    Also, the computer runs perfectly fine after I get it to post.
    I'm using it right now.
  11. Flyordie

Flyordie New Member

Thanks Received:
    idk man... Corsair is Seasonic built...
    If it was a PSU issue it would of killed it. This sounds more RAM issue than anything else..

Move your RAM around... see if that helps. I my PC-A9RD480Adv from Sapphire did that alot... until I cranked up the RAM voltage and did some timing tweaks.

Also, it could be a bad cap on your board somewhere. Cap= Capacitor...
    Although its beginning to get rarer to receive a board with bad caps, it is still an issue.
    Check and see if the caps are leaking anything or if their "tops" are pointed out...
    If your board is of the type that uses all Solid State (Silver Tops) then ignore this.

Flyordie
    Conall says thanks.
  12. DaMulta

Thanks Received:
    I work in a PC store and have to guess this stuff daily.:)

+ I'm on here 2/4 7 lol just trying to help solve the problem.

Ram gong out can work on and off, but allow the machine to boot. Then run forever till it's turned off again.

The video card normally only does this when the machine is moved.

A machine that turns on and stays on, but does not turn back on all the time. Is the PSU most of the time.

Motherboard is the last thing to go in almost all cases. When that goes noting starts, or when it does all sorts of odd things happen when it is running. You can normally go into bios and watch the volts go up and down on bad motherboards
    Conall says thanks.
  13. Flyordie

Flyordie New Member

Thanks Received:
    Went to college for a 14 months to learn about what makes a PC tick... and what makes it tock.
    If his PSU was taking a dump, it wouldn't turn on at all unless the motherboard has crappy voltage safety limits. If any of my PSU's voltages fall below a set limit, my board shuts down.
    +12V= Min 11.7V, Max 12.2V
    +3.3V= Min 3.0V, Max 3.5V
    +5.0V= Min 4.5V, 5.3V

If it goes beyond any of those thresholds my board shuts down. PSU should be least likely issue.
    See Specs for what I am running.... (will be updating my specs now as I changed some hardware)

Fly
  14. Conall New Member

Thanks Received:
    Actually, I think you are right about the ram.
    I just checked Control Panel > System, and it's saying I only have 1GB, when I should have 2.
    I never expected THAT.. Maybe that lockup wasn't caused by Fallout 2 after all. Maybe it's been dead/going out for some time, now.
    Or perhaps one of the ram slots on the motherboard is screwed up.

I'll have to test this tomorrow.. I'll try switching the ram around, figure out which stick is dead or if it's one of the slots the ram is in..
  15. mrhuggles

mrhuggles

Thanks Received:
    ive seen that happen to tons of computers, every time it was a random problem with the motherboard.... i think it could possibly be the PSU too its just in my experience its always been the motherboard

oh yeah, and i dont know that motherboard but mine with the old bios had a tendancy to do that alot from a "failed overclock" which randomly happens every now and then... for seemingly no reason... i have an ASUS p5k [normal flashed to R for AHCI support]
  16. Flyordie

Flyordie New Member

Thanks Received:
    Failed overclock <---
    Everytime I bumped the voltage on the NB I had to kill the power to the machine then re-apply power and it would boot fine... so I can agree with that.
  17. Bundy

Bundy

Thanks Received:
    What voltage does your RAM need? Maybe when you double reset the rig, the board reset your bios to stock?
  18. 95Viper

95Viper

Thanks Received:
    Yep, That sounds about right. Gigabyte - good boards, but they are picky when it comes to ram.

Ram would had been my first guess on a random re-boot or shut down.

And, Bundyrum&coke is right, too...it will reset your ram to stock and auto, if you had any oc, voltage settings or changes your timings, so you might want to check those, when you get it going.
  19. Conall New Member

Thanks Received:
    I should have mentioned before that I don't overclock, period.
    I am terrified that I'd screw something up.

Well, I tested the ram by removing one stick, and starting the machine.
    Booted fine, Control Panel -> System detected it.

Switched that stick out for the other, booted fine, was also detected.
    Installed the other stick, booted fine. Computer detected both sticks.

I obviously had to restart the machine several times during this, and not once did it fail to boot this time.

Looks like Flyordie's suggestion to move the ram around may have done the trick, but I obviously won't know for certain for a while yet.