1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Computer restarting

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by mystikl, Oct 31, 2009.

1. mystikl New Member

Thanks Received:
    So I get up this morning and start my computer, I try to check my mail then out of the blue it restarts. After a few more crashes I started the usual troubleshooting: I unplugged everything except the keyboard, cleared CMOS and checked for loose cables. Didn't work. I ruled out the OS (Windows 7) due to the computer restarting even while it was in BIOS.
    What could it be, hard drive, video card, motherboard?

2. i789 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I think its probably either your cpu or your ram, if you ram stick has some problem than its going to restart randomly, also check your cpu temps, high cpu temperature also can leads to random shutdowns

mystikl says thanks.
  3. mystikl New Member

Thanks Received:
    I took out one of the sticks and it's working now. RAM wasn't on my list cause I thought bad ram would give BSODs not restarts. Boy was I wrong! Thanks for the help i789.

EDIT: I ran the Windows 7 memory stability test on the remaining stick and it passed the test. Half an hour later the comp crashed again. Is it still the RAM?

Last edited: Nov 1, 2009
  4. i789 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Ok, it seems that corrupted memory is still causing the random shutdown, how about running memtest86+ test and tell me about the result. and I assume you have not overclocked your ram. (BTW, have you tried the ram on a different ram slot, although I dont think its the memory slot problem, but you may want to test it just for sure)
    Let me know, ;)

5. mystikl New Member

Thanks Received:
    I finally gave up on trying to figure it out so I took it to a repair shop. When I got there, big surprise there was nothing wrong with it. I have no clue what was wrong with it, but it's been running for a few hours now without any restarts

6. joinmeindeath417

joinmeindeath417 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Ha computers how strange they can be huh.

Well hope it works out for you, my guess would have been the RAM also. but you never know sometimes moving the machine (as you did) and putting it back works hAHA!

EDIT:

Just in case.

Have you checked the RPM's for the CPU fan? or even the GPU fan? Hows the thermal paste on the CPU? (more likelty not the case but better to squash all possiblities)
    Dust buildup anywhere? you'd be suprised what dust can do to a PC.
    Don't know if you can get your hands on a power supply tester. But if you can make sure its working correctly. Could be a problem with regulating voltage and causing the pc to crash intermittently
    Sure you ran memtest86+, Prime95. Maybe run an all around benchmark and monitor your temps with everest or something.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2009