1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Computer shut's down after installing new video card.

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by juan adames, Jan 11, 2008.

1. juan adames

juan adames New Member

Thanks Received:
    First of all thank's for having me on board.
    and secondly I'm new to computers.

My systems specks are, Gateway/windows vista 32bit/AMD 5000+
    windsor/ 2048Memory. GPU 8800gt.XFI extreme gamer sound.

the Issue here is that after playing the game for about two hours-
    the computer shut's down, and all this started after Installing the-
    Gpu and sound card. Are there any adjustments to bios, and if so-
    how can I execute them.
    Your replies are appreciated.
  2. Mediocre

Mediocre New Member

Thanks Received:
    First, welcome :toast:

Secondly, Your system is overheating.

Try removing the side panel and playing for the same amount of time. I bet it does NOT shut down.

Had a similar problem with COD4 and the HD2900 OC. The 2900 released all its heat inside the box, and it floated up (heat rises) and was passed through my radiators. This heated up the LC system (instead of cooling it) causing my CPU to overheat, BSOD, and reboot.

Try taking your side panel off and placing a home fan next to it, blowing cool air in. I bet it stops rebooting.

The approrpriate course of action would be to increase the airflow in your case. whether thats intake or exhaust depends on the current setup. It might mean cutting a hole in the side to for a side intake. It might mean buying higher velocity fans to increase the air through-put (and noise).

Try a couple of temperature LOGGING programs, or hook up a secondary monitor and place the temps over there so you can watch while you game.

I bet your 8800GT is getting up past 100C after a few hours.
  3. Namslas90 New Member

Thanks Received:
    The onboard sound should be disabled in BIOS. Pressing either <DEL> or <F2> during boot up should get you to the BIOS screen.(it's different for each Gateway model depending on the Motherboard, check the splash screen during bootup it's normally displayed somewhere on the screen). Once you get into BIOS, Navigate your way to the "integrated Periphials" section, enter, scroll down to onboard audio and disable it.

Your other problem is probably Heat related, so you probably need to add cooling to things like the memory and more importantly the case. In BIOS you can go to the "PC Health" section and disable the "Smart Fan Controll" or "Cool -n- Quiet", (depending on which one you have).
    Doing this will up the fan speed to full instead of controlled by the heat probe on mobo and will keep things cooler,

I have a Gateway GT5056, I have added fans to the memory, chipset, rear exhaust, and PCI slot exhaust. It runs nice and cool but is a lot luoder.

:toast:
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2008
  4. Namslas90 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Had a look at your stock case. Looks like you could benifit from either a side intake fan or replacing the front HDD fan with a 120mm front intake fan. Also you could get a higher CFM fan for the rear exhaust. This would help overall airflow in the case. Also you could add a fan to the chipset.

:toast: