1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

computer shuts down for no reason

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Nailezs, Aug 4, 2009.

1. Nailezs

Thanks Received:
    ok guys, so i have a rma'd mb and rma'd vc.
    now my computer randomly shuts down, it wont even run long enough for me to get my bios settings right. ideas?
    is the only thing left the power supply?

2. DanishDevil

DanishDevil

Thanks Received:
    RAM could be doing it too. Borrow a friend's RAM or PSU and eliminate things one by one.

3. Nailezs

Thanks Received:
    thats the thing. 6 weeks ago w/ another vid card the computer worked fine. now its doing this thing.
    everything else has already been swapped, thats how the mb and vc were diaged

4. Assassin48 New Member

Thanks Received:
    what are the items you have RMA ?
    to me it sounds like the psu

had the same problem with 2 diff mobos same psu

5. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Perhaps something is overheating causing automatic shutdown. Check everything in your system that has a heatsink on it.

6. Nailezs

Thanks Received:
    great, now theres no post and no boot again
    startin to think power supply

i rma'd the motherboard and video card

as for overheation, i already checked that - it was my first thought :(

7. Cuzza

Cuzza New Member

Thanks Received:
    I would think power supply first for the shut down issue, but if no post it's probably something else...

8. Nailezs

Thanks Received:
    have it at a computer shop right now being looked at, but they too are thinking power supply. guess we will see how things go

well, if it is a a power supply, im not waiting another month for an rma, im just gonna buy a new one and keep the rma'd one as a spare. what 1000w+ power supply would you guys recommend to future proof my computer for sli?

Last edited: Aug 4, 2009
  9. Cheeseball

Thanks Received:
    You know what's messed up? I had the exact same problem. It ended up being the power supply. I got my RMA's ASRock board (they sent me a brand new package as I sent it back complete) back thinking that was the problem. :p

10. Nailezs

Thanks Received:
    if it is the power supply im hoping that it didn't re-fry my MB and VC

bad part is that when it was first looked at all the plugs for the power supply were tested with one of those tools they have, and it passed

11. DanishDevil

DanishDevil

Thanks Received:
    The tools don't test the PSU's under load, though.

12. Nailezs

Thanks Received:
    makes sense

so, any1 have any thoughts on a 1000w+ PSU w/ thats sli compatible to future proof my computer for the next couple of years?

13. DanishDevil

DanishDevil

Thanks Received:
    Any PC Power & Cooling, any Enermax, any Corsair. Those are my top 3 PSU manufacturers and they will all give you what you need and more.

14. Nailezs

Thanks Received:
  15. DanishDevil

DanishDevil

Thanks Received:
    I wouldn't buy a CoolerMaster PSU over the other 3 brands I mentioned. Think about it. Do you really want to take another chance with a PSU that isn't top notch and risk killing your hardware?

Nailezs says thanks.
  16. Nailezs

Thanks Received:
    well the enermax's are both for crossfire and the pc power and cooling ones are 550+, way out of my price range. and i dont see a 1000w+ corsair on newegg

17. livehard

livehard New Member

Thanks Received:
    What makes you think you'll need 1KW? 750W is probably more than enough. A good 750W PSU can handle two GTX 295s and a hefty overclock.

+1

Corsair 1000 Watt unit $240
    910 watt PCP&C $190

Nailezs says thanks.
  18. Nailezs

Thanks Received:
    cool beans, thx for the adivce. i was thinking of the new chipset version of the 295(395?) in quad sli w/ over clocking as future(and maybe water cooling added in there, and cpu over clock), hence why i thought i needed all the power. i just found that corsair 1000W right before i checked the thread again so i think that i will get that if the current PSU i have does in fact end up bad.

19. livehard

livehard New Member

Thanks Received:
    Ahh, I'm not sure what the next gen cards will pull, they shouldn't be too much more. I didn't know you intended to water cool, you should probably pickup that 1KW then.

20. Nailezs

Thanks Received:
    haha see why i wanted so much power?

21. livehard

livehard New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hehe yeah. I've got 1500 watts in this rig.:cool:

22. Nailezs

Thanks Received:
    well, it was the power supply. gonna order that corsair 1KW today and have it overnighted :)

UPDATE: well crap, i just got a call from the guy working on my computer. He says that its now doing the same things with the PSU he swapped in. He's wondering if i just got a surge or power thru the system that damaged a bunch of stuff. With an RMA'd MB and VC, swapped out PSU and RAM, the CPU is the only thing left that could be causing this, right? Should i be worried that the MB has re-fried due to the possibly faulty PSU?

UPDATE2: well i talked to the guy again, and he said that he reset the cmos and everything has been running fine for an hour. keep your fingers crossed for me

Last edited: Aug 5, 2009
  23. Nailezs

Thanks Received:
    bump due to update

24. d3fct

d3fct

Thanks Received:
    pc power & cooling / corsair +1

25. Nailezs

Thanks Received:
    hmm, is it reviving an old thread if its your thread to begin with ands its for the same topic?

ok, so since i last posted a lot of crap has happened with this damn computer. i swear, i am NEVER building my own computer again. when i got my computer back, from my last post, the dam thing was running slow as all hell and games were so choppy it was worthless to play, settings didnt seem to matter. so i figured i would update windows and all my drivers, right? so i update all my drivers, then i get into updating windows. i install sp2, then i get validation errors, wonderful!!
    so i talk to MS tech support for 3 hours or so trying to get my copy of windows str8, and then they are like "yeah, u just need to reformat" and im like "yeah that figures". so i reformat and i start getting BSOD's everytime i rtry to load windows, as well as ram errors(atleast MS said they were ram errors, but i was also getting errors with my RAID driver so <shrug>). so i disable my raid and the raid error goes away, but i still get BSODs. to make a long story short, i figured out i had a bad ram stick but couldnt really figure out which one it was, so i took the comptuer back to the shop.
    i get my computer back from the shop last night. they tested each stick of ram thoroughly and figured out which stick was bad and made sure that 2 good sticks were in, and loaded up windows for me and did most of the updates. so it was left to me to update all the drivers and the rest of the updates.
    well, the first drivers i try to install are the nForce drivers...BSOD upon reboot! yay! so after a couple of tries i boot into my last known good configuration and everything is all good, im only getting the BSODs after i install the nforce drivers. so i update all my other drivers, install some utilities, flash my bios to the latest version, do all my windows updates, and flash the bios to the lastest version 1.4, etc. this took like 8 hours or so last night. i finally try again to load the nforce drivers...load them...restart...NO BSOD!!! FTW!!! YAY!!! everything seems to be stable, etc. so i reboot and set up my ram and my raid and plug in my external drive with esata and set up my boot order again and boot back up into windows
    so, now i try to install crysis. i get it installed, and go into the game. whats the first thing we all do with a game? we adjust the settings! i adjust the resolution to 1280x1024 and the video card drivers stop responding. i reboot and try again, same thing. i reboot and re-download and re-install the video drivers and go into crysis under dx9 - now crysis wont even boot up. so i install stalker clear sky...same thing, the game engine wont boot up.
    so, i was gonna take it back to the computer shop, but the guy called me up and was like "hey, i know u were planning on bringing your computer back, but i talked to my boss and he wont let me not charge you. so dont really bother bringing it back in, cause all i can really do at this point is tinker with it and i dont wanna charge u for that" an stuff like that. i like the tech workin on my computer, he's a good guy. but if he's at his wits end, what am i to do??
    h suggested that i get i driver cleaning tool and wipe out all the nvidia drivers and do a fresh install of them. so i download driver sweeper and get all the nvidia drivers out, then i just shut down the computer, time for work. he also said that if wiping the drivers and re-installing them didint that at that point he would suggest RMAing, or Re-RMAing, everything in the computer(im thinking he didnt mean the raid hdd's and the dvd drive and floppy drive, but everything else, including the main hdd) and getting all fresh parts and going from there

so what do u guys think? this is the short versio of events so far, i can elaborate on any point

please ask questions, please help!

if it helps i kept s step by step journal of everything i did on the computer since i got it back last night

EDIT: i forgot to mention that the computer still seems to be running somewhat slow, as before i shut down i was getting system hang-ups that lasted a few seconds...its hard to test the speed though, since i cant get into any games to test it!!

EDIT 2: edited for some confusing points and added new info, see my next post

EDIT 3: i forgot to mention that sometimes on cold boots the computer will not boot up....everything runs but no post, no boot, no audio beep codes, and my blue power led does not come on...but the hdd led does. i think thats just a loose connection somewhere

Last edited: Aug 21, 2009