1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Computer Shuts Itself Off

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by OrbitzXT, Aug 15, 2011.

1. OrbitzXT

OrbitzXT New Member

Thanks Received:
    I have a somewhat older pentium 4 computer in my office here that seems to be randomly shutting itself off. When I turn the computer back on, immediately following the POST it says "Press <F4> to run Setup", pressing F4 brings me into the BIOS. I checked the temperatures and it was about 54C which I believe is okay for a P4? When I tried to exit the BIOS it just hung there and I had to turn the PC off. When I turned it back on again, it booted into Windows fine.

This only just happened this morning, so I don't have a long enough time period to see if this problem will repeat itself or was just some fluke. I noticed the fan on the power supply is a bit loud, it's always been like that though since the year I've been here. I'm considering replacing it as a precaution and to make the PC quieter as well.

Are there any particular tests I should run to check for issues? Or should I just wait and see what happens and replace the power supply?
  2. JrRacinFan

JrRacinFan Served 5k and counting ...

Thanks Received:
    Quick test for overheating: keep the side panel off and see if it still occurs. If it still does it I would be concerned about the power supply.
  3. Fourstaff

Fourstaff Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    +1 to this

Also, check if the heatsink is loose, I have heard problems with heatsink mounts snapping. Well, just check the parts in general.
  4. micropage7

micropage7

Thanks Received:
    if it repeat in same time and it needs a time before it can turn on i guess its coz of heat
    check the hsf and fan too
  5. OrbitzXT

OrbitzXT New Member

Thanks Received:
    It's been about two hours since the incident and no issues. I don't think it was heat related. P4's are fine in the 50C range right? Does Newegg sell power supplies that work for older P4 motherboards? I haven't shopped for one in awhile and not sure if they're any different than the ones used today.
  6. scaminatrix

scaminatrix

Thanks Received:
    You'll be fine looking for a P4 PSU; they are the same as todays. it's when you go pre-2001 that you have to start scouting.

I'd run Memtest for a while; sound's like RAM might be on it's way out. And memtest is easier than troubleshooting mobo, PSU and CPU so I go for the easiest one first :laugh:
  7. OneMoar

OneMoar

Thanks Received:
    I have had P4rescHott cores up to 75c sustained its not good for them but it won't kill it ... at least not right away
  8. Jetster

Jetster

Thanks Received:
    Why are you guys pointing to the temps. 54c is fine. Nothing wrong there. The P-4 idle hot and max is 72c. Your problem is not heat related unless theirs something you not telling or I missed something in the read

Its probably going in to suspend mode and hanging coming out. Very common in XP. Go to you power options and uncheck Hibernate or suspend and sleep

I hate old P-4s they have issues. I would format test the HD before I would buy a new PSU
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2011
  9. OrbitzXT

OrbitzXT New Member

Thanks Received:
    I actually have Windows 7 installed on this PC, runs well enough. It's a fresh installation from about 4-5 months ago. I also changed all the power options to always stay on, except the monitor which goes off after 30 minutes.
  10. Jetster

Jetster

Thanks Received:
  11. OneMoar

OneMoar

Thanks Received:
    uh no ...

either the psu is cutting out or the motherboards thermal saftys are kicking in
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2011
  12. OrbitzXT

OrbitzXT New Member

Thanks Received:
    I'll test the HD but I don't see why a hard drive would cause a hang in the BIOS.
  13. OneMoar

OneMoar

Thanks Received:
    don't bother
  14. Jetster

Jetster

Thanks Received:
    Good point....battery?
  15. Fourstaff

Fourstaff Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Would point to clock issues.
  16. OneMoar

OneMoar

Thanks Received:
    I would bet a 100 bucks that the problem is the psu or the motherboard
    also what logic makes you think that cmos battery or the hard drive would cause a hard power down :banghead:
  17. xBruce88x

xBruce88x

Thanks Received:
    a video card can cause this sometimes too. I had an old i740 agp card, when it got too hot the system would hard reboot
  18. OneMoar

OneMoar

Thanks Received:
    hes talking about a HARD POWER OFF
    rtfp
  19. xBruce88x

xBruce88x

Thanks Received:
    well it also caused it to shut off at times too....

anyhow... about the psu fan. if its making really loud noise its probably not working as well, if it sounds kinda like a grinding noise. the motor could be full of dust or the soft magnets in the motor are worn from heat. I'd go ahead and get a new psu. if you wait and see what happens with it it could die and take the rest of the system. are there any high pitched noises coming from the psu?