1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Computer Starts Only Sometime, Need Help

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Karamas, Nov 5, 2009.

1. Karamas

Karamas New Member

Thanks Received:
    So Monday morning (11/2/09) before work my computer was perfectly fine. I come home from work turn my computer on to play a game and it just stopped cooperating with me.

There are so many different errors I'm not sure what I should be looking for.

A few different things happened when i tried turning the computer on multiple times.

1. The Computer has no video. ( I checked the monitor it works, and the connector is secure.)

2. I have no power to the key board or mouse. (I tested the mouse and keyboard on my laptop, and another computer both work)

3. The computer stops before reaching the CMOS. (This has only happened once, if it has happened more its happened when the computer has no video.)

4. Computer freezes at post. (This happened about 4-5 times no idea why)

5. Computer freeze when starting windows.

6. I get windows up after launching applications i get a blue screen, and the computer does a mini memory dump. (I have reseated the RAM and left the computer off to sure that any memory was cleared out)

7. The computer boot works fine for a bit, I walked away went into sleep mode, I came back and I had no video. (This only happened once after I walked away from the computer)

I tried working with the computer some more this morning, but to no avail. I have tried reseating the RAM, and video card. Is there anything else I could do before I take the computer apart and test it piece by piece.

My thoughts: The video card is dead/dying, the mother boards pci-e 16x slot has died (I haven't checked this yet, I do have 2x pci-e x16 slots) Not understanding why there is no power to the mouse/keyboard (they are both USB), The motherboard could be dying/or part of it is dead. The video card is not overheating, the computer video wouldn't work after being off over night.

My system specs are up to date.

Any feedback or help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in Advance.
  2. Velvet Wafer

Velvet Wafer New Member

Thanks Received:
    Standard Question:
    How old is your PSU? :D
  3. Karamas

Karamas New Member

Thanks Received:
    About 2 years, but it has a lifetime warranty, all the fans are running as well as the processor.
  4. Velvet Wafer

Velvet Wafer New Member

Thanks Received:
    um.... you know that it may run, until it suddenly gives a loud BANG, and all your Hardware is gone?
    i dont know the manufacturer of your PSU (its just bfg branded), but if its a generic then i would say: 2 years is enough time for a cheap psu to die. do you have another one for testing there?
  5. JrRacinFan

JrRacinFan Served 5k and counting ...

Thanks Received:
    Is the PC in question the one in yours system specs? Any overclock involved?

I'm highly HIGHLY beleiving it's memory related. Could be motherboard but I doubt.

-If overclocked, reset /clear cmos and get it to a postable state then do a few memtest passes for errors.

-If not overclocked, reduce down to a single stick of ram and do a few passes of memtest. Testing each individually, then if both pass, try running memtest in dual channel.

@Velvet Wafer

BFG Is pretty good reputable power supply. Although, just like any peice of electronics, they can go bad.
    Karamas says thanks.
  6. Velvet Wafer

Velvet Wafer New Member

Thanks Received:
    if the memory is that defective, memtest will throw him a stack of errors nearly instantly, after starting,am i right?. i say PSU,JR!;)
  7. JrRacinFan

JrRacinFan Served 5k and counting ...

Thanks Received:
    You are correct! I have dealt with bad sticks in combination with a dying northbridge before and they do EXACTLY what he is describing in his OP.
  8. Velvet Wafer

Velvet Wafer New Member

Thanks Received:
    i have dealt with nearly the same problems on my A64X2
    in the end, it was my PSU beeing overdusted, so it couldnt cool correctly:laugh:
    the best would be, if he had the possibilities, to test his Ram and his PSU+ VGA in another board;)
    Error Telling is sometimes a little hard :D
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2009
  9. Karamas

Karamas New Member

Thanks Received:
    The PSU was kinda dusty didn't think anything of it, I did go and look for a can of compressed air, but couldn't find one. I'll pick one up after work.

Yes the computer is the one in the specs.

BGU's PSUs are not cheap, it has a life time warranty.

Memory is running dual channel, I'll try a single stick.

I'll also try switching which PSU cable is being used by my video card, the PSU is meant for dual video cards so there are two of them.

There is no over clocking done to this computer.

(Remember I have no video to work with either)
  10. Velvet Wafer

Velvet Wafer New Member

Thanks Received:
    if that doesnt help: try to borrow some parts of a friend, for a day;)
    Karamas says thanks.
  11. twicksisted

twicksisted

Thanks Received:
    First thoughts are memory..... though with the no signal to video im thinking could also psu...
    Test both out...

first try with only one stick of memory in the machine, boot... no luck?.... (then swap to the other stick on its own till you find that it boots)

If you get a boot off one stick, then memory is the issue... if you dont get a boot still same circumstances then likely move onto PSU
    To test PSU youll want a multimeter and then itll get a bit more complicated unless you have a spare PSU to test with.

My guess (lucky guess of course but from what ive read its plausable... memory)
    If unlucky enough to not have a spare PSU to test with then you either gonna need a multimeter or a spare psu
    Karamas says thanks.
  12. Karamas

Karamas New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thanks guys, one of the ram sticks went bad, I believe they have a life time warranty as well so, I'll have to check on that.
  13. twicksisted

twicksisted

Thanks Received:
    funnily enough one of my corsair dominator sticks went bad tonight aswell... similar circumstances which is why i suspected your ram first... hehe
    but they are a good brand and it is lifetime warranty... just go to their sites technical help and fill in an RMA form and youre all good (you got to post it back of course)...