1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Computer stuck in loop

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Johnny5, Jan 14, 2011.

1. Johnny5

Johnny5 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Last week my what I thought was my video card fan dying because it was starting to make random noises.

While I was playing a game my computer just shut off then restarted and will not post and just cycles on and off.

I replaced the video card and it still doing this. Where do I start troubleshooting?

2. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Since you didn't mention it, did you reset the CMOS?

Also, if the CMOS isn't the case, a looping/restarting computer could have to do with the CPU overheating.

3. MRCL

MRCL

Thanks Received:
    It could very well be CPU overheating. If you leave the PC powered off for say half an hour or so, does it boot into Windows or does it loop again?

4. Johnny5

Johnny5 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I can't remove the battery to reset it but I did touch the 2 jumperpins with a flat head screw driver. I could have mistaken the dying video card fan for the CPU fan.

It wont make it to windows but it does make it past post but then just starts to cycle.

5. panchoman

panchoman Sold my stars!

Thanks Received:
    on some mobos theres a option in the bios thats like "restart after power failure", and can get you stuck in an endless loop...

you shouldn't remove the battery to reset the bios anyway, the proper way is to use the jumpers while the battery is connected..

go and check your cpu temp from the bios if you can, see if there's some overheating going on, otherwise you might have to look out for things like memory gone bad, etc..

6. Johnny5

Johnny5 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I dont think its anything other than the cpu or video card because of the noise it was making prior to it doing this. one of the fans in my case was making a squealing noise following an abrupt stop. then my comptuer just randomly shut off in the middle of a game I was playing.

When the computer is cold it will make it about 30secs until the loops starts and then it just loops every 3 secs.

Does anyone sell computer parts anymore? I'm not sure where to go to go buy a replacement fan or cooler. does best buy have anything?

7. sniviler New Member

Thanks Received:
    check the obvious, stuck keys, buttons and switches, how are the voltages ?, get into safe mode?

8. panchoman

panchoman Sold my stars!

Thanks Received:
    was the fan that died connected to the mobo? mobo could be going crazy thinking that proper cooling is not in place, and then shutting down because of that, and then rebooting because of power settings..

9. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Remove the CPU cooler, clean it up, apply thermal paste and try it out. Also make sure that the fan is spinning.

10. Johnny5

Johnny5 New Member

Thanks Received:
    nothing has worked, hooked up another cpu cooler. maybe the cpu is fried?

11. xBruce88x

xBruce88x

Thanks Received:
    what are the temps for the cpu like in bios? do you still have it OC or at stock?

12. Johnny5

Johnny5 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I cant get it to post which is the main problem. It was time to upgrade anyways. I'll just put together a new sandy bridge build and figure out the problem later when I give the computer to my brother.