1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

computer stuffing up

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Rey17, Sep 3, 2008.

1. Rey17

Rey17 New Member

Thanks Received:
    hey guys,

there is one problem i cant seem to understand ??

well the story goes, i bought a maxtor basics external hardrive for the desktop, 750 GB, with Vista Compatiblity. i had movies on some data CDs and wanted to put those movies into the external hardrive in case the data cds become stuffed up and dont work anymore. (BackUp of movies)(Cd's were burnt CDs.)

i was putting the movie "the number 23" onto the hardrive and then it said "cant read from source file or disk". i tried putting it onto the hard drive from the cd 2 times, then i decided to copy it onto my desktop, about half way through, the coomputer freezed up.

i forced reboot (turned it off from the button) then i turned the computer on again, then once the computer booted up, the computer frooze again. this happens a fair amount. but once in like 10 times, the computer will boot up properly if i close nearly all the processes from the task manager.
    then yesterday, i turned it on, then norton gave a message saying that it encountered a internal problem. so because of that, i thought norton was giving problems, so i uninstalled it.
    and before that, my uncle installed MYOB accounting Plus V16 onto my computer. and i also uninstalled it !!

so is MYOB accounting plus v16 compatible with vista or not ?
    i have Vista home premiuem, SP1, 32-Bit

now i dont understand why this happens, is it a virus, or just a driver problem ??
    then I tried scanning my computer using bit defender, nothing was found.
    i went on PC Pitstop, and it told me that some of my drivers are old. i cant exactly remember which ones, but once i get home ill let you know.

can anyone tell me what seems to be the problem ?
  2. Hayder_Master

Hayder_Master

Thanks Received:
    try scan disk first and reply
    Rey17 says thanks.
  3. Rey17

Rey17 New Member

Thanks Received:
    you mean, scan the disk for viruses ??

i am at school anywayz, i let you know once i get back
    ill try using CCleaner as well
  4. JC316

JC316 Knows what makes you tick

Thanks Received:
    No, scan disk, it's a tool for checking the hard drive for errors, it's in the system utilities in the start menu. Sounds like the drive may be dead, or messed up. Maybe is was the curse of the number 23, it killed your drive.....
    Rey17 says thanks.
  5. Rey17

Rey17 New Member

Thanks Received:
    hey guys,

still trying to fix the computer but no luck at all.... i downloaded STOPzilla and found viruses, adware and trojans.

cant remember the names exactly, but some of them are called:
    contravirus
    Zxx.exe
    and some others which i cant remember.

well i wanted to ask that can a trojan or virus affect your computer hardware, or maybe stop your computer from booting properly, or freeze the computer once it has been booted up.
  6. xfire

xfire New Member

Thanks Received:
    Are you sure the disc you were copying from is proper?(has no scrathes and all)
    Try scanning with Rising Anti-Virus. It's possible that your Windows installation has been spoiled by the restart.
    http://www.download.com/Glary-Utilities/3000-2094_4-10508531.html?tag=mncol&cdlPid=10876660
    Download that program and install and run it.
    select system tool
    then select windows standard tools
    then select System File Checker
    note: you might need your Vista installation disc.
    Rey17 says thanks.
  7. Hayder_Master

Hayder_Master

Thanks Received:

no , i mean check disk , go to any patition and right click\properties\tools\check now
    Rey17 says thanks.
  8. Rey17

Rey17 New Member

Thanks Received:
    guys, i think i probably fixed it. i reinstalled vista, but i did a clean install. and it looks like that its working fine by now, i installed all the needed updates and they all were installed. i think the problem was that a virus had taken over my computer and made home in one of my rams.

so i took out that RAM and now the computer seems to be working fine. all i need to do is to go to HP website and download all the updates on their website.

so now i think i need to buy new RAM. probably max out my computer. it only takes about 4 gigs, so ill look for 4gb of RAM.

anwayz thnx for helping
  9. johnspack

Thanks Received:
    Actually it sounds like a failing cd/dvd drive. I've thrown out many dead cd/dvd burners, they die. If that drive is at least a year old and data corruption is occuring, replace it quick! Get a pioneer dvd burner, lasts for much longer.
    More than 25k PPD
  10. Rey17

Rey17 New Member

Thanks Received:
    well..... ill see if i can change my dvd drive because my dvd drive doesnt work properly, ill give that a try also !!

thanks