1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Computer takes multiple tries to reach POST

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by AngryMerchant, Jan 26, 2013.

1. AngryMerchant

Thanks Received:
    I've been having an issue for a couple weeks. When I hold the power button, the computer will begin to start up, then turn off. Usually at the second try it will start up again and reach POST. Today I turned it off after a game was acting up (low framerate when looking at certain objects, no problems with artifacts or anything), and it wouldn't start up after 3 tries. Unplugged it, opened it up to check all the cables, plugged it back in and it wouldn't start up at all. 3 hours later I came back, plugged the psu directly into the wall rather than the adapter/ surge protector, and after 3 tries managed to get it through POST and reach the desktop. But why? Temperatures are all normal, but I don't know anything about voltage. Am I underpowering my PSU somehow? Because if something has to be the matter I would definitely prefer it just be the power supply. Here's what HWMonitor says, tell me if there are any other programs I should run:

Attached Files:

2. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    I hope you mean press the power button and then let it go right away...

Crunching for Team TPU 50 Million points folded for TPU
  3. drdeathx

drdeathx

Thanks Received:
    Did you reset the cmos???

Although you prefer it to be the PSU, you don't have a choice... LOL I would start checking PSU and hard drive. PSU can be checked with a multimeter....

4. LAN_deRf_HA

LAN_deRf_HA

Thanks Received:
    I've seen shut downs like that with the following causes:
    Dying PSU.
    Ram voltage being too low even though it's running according to spec (I see this more with Asus and it normally just causes boot loops.)
    Intermittent shorts.
    Loose motherboard power cables.
    And once because of the motherboard dying.

These are just what I've seen. There's probably a lot of things that could cause a shutdown at that phase.

5. AngryMerchant

Thanks Received:
    I've reset the CMOS at some point in the past month for a different reason, but it's pretty much been having the issue since I put in the motherboard.

I don't have a multimeter and I'm not going to be back at this computer until March, as of tomorrow. I have a friend coming over to look at it while I'm gone, but I figured I might as well see what ideas there might be as to what's wrong.

6. Huddo93

Huddo93 New Member

Thanks Received:
    If you have a clear cmos option try that. I get this kind of problem when overclocking memory and will get caught in a boot loop. Try slightly uping the voltage on your ram. or down clocking them. if you have a decent psu I doubt its that.

7. drdeathx

drdeathx

Thanks Received:
    You can pick up a multimeter cheap. it is a handy tool to have around.

8. Krazy Owl

Krazy Owl New Member

Thanks Received:
    One of the memory stick is dying. Fine when you start but as soon as it gets hot it starts to fail. I just had this problem couple hours ago.

9. 1freedude

1freedude

Thanks Received:
    Re-seat all memory sticks. I had this. Check slots for debris.

Edit. When it does post, does all memory show up?

10. de.das.dude

de.das.dude Pro Indian Modder

Thanks Received:
    does it go past POST and restart when its supposed to show the windows logo? i suspect a hard drive. this isnt likely to be a RAM issue. RAM sticks dying is just too rare, specially corsair ones. never heard of corsair memory dying. Gskill. yes, but still rare.

11. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    There is one way to find out if it is memory. So instead of guessing maybe actually testing it could shed some light on the problem.

Give memtest86+ a try and let us know how it goes. This should at least tell you if your memory is bad or not.

12. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    this is normal on a lot of gigabyte and asus boards if you're overclocking. they turn on at BIOS defaults, then reboot into your custom settings. this is how they test if the OC is unstable to give those error messages about restoring to defaults.

if it takes more than the two 'boots' to post, then its something else.

13. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    There's more to this that you might think, but I think you are on the right track here.

Artifacts...GPU or mem.

failed boot...mem or perhaps GPU...or perhaps...the board itself.

I see that you got a SKT1155 board, can you tell me the model?

If ASUS, when board is booted from cold, try mashing the delete key to get into BOIS. IF you do get in BIOS, check to see if all your drives are present.

Let me know.