1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Computer Will Not POST

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Wyldefyre2002, Nov 6, 2007.

1. Wyldefyre2002 New Member

Thanks Received:
    This is my first build, and it's been nothing but headaches! My project log is here for anyone interested, also with parts list. Anyway, I received my new Crucial ram today that was "compatible" with my motherboard, and I'm still having the same problem that I had before with the A-Data. I've had the the power supply, processor, and ram all checked, and I've already RMA'd the motherboard once, and I'm still having the same problem. Every time I turn it on, it comes on for just a second, no picture on the screen, then reboots and just sits there, no post, no video out. I thought maybe since the board has onboard vga and dvi, the default was dvi, and my vga monitor just wasn't getting a signal, but that still wouldn't explain the quick reboot. There's no speaker header on the board, so I can't get any beeps. I don't know what to do. Any suggestions?
  2. ccleorina

ccleorina New Member

Thanks Received:
    Can u tell us what your parts u using?:rockout:
  3. nflesher87

nflesher87 Staff

Thanks Received:
    so you can even manage to make it into the BIOS?
  4. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Have you tried hitting delete continuously when booting to get into your bios? Is your RAM in the right slots? Vid. card in the correct PCI express slot?
  5. Wyldefyre2002 New Member

Thanks Received:
  6. nflesher87

nflesher87 Staff

Thanks Received:
    it sounds to me like the mobo at default is either not providing enough voltage to the memory or at default lowering the timings too low on the memory to allow POST...

btw, have you tried booting with just the bare minimum hooked up? I have a funny suspicion about that dvd burner being hooked up via ATAPI to SATA converter...
    do you have another disc drive that you can hook up to the mobo without converting?
    Wyldefyre2002 says thanks.
  7. Wyldefyre2002 New Member

Thanks Received:
    yea, I've tried booting with the very bare minimum, no vid card, no dvd, and even no hard drive
  8. nflesher87

nflesher87 Staff

Thanks Received:
    I'm sincerely puzzled bro and basically the only thing I can deduce is what I mentioned about the vdimm and/or timings...I'm assuming the BIOS is the latest since it brand new right?
  9. Wyldefyre2002 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I've read reviews of the motherboard on newegg, says the bios need updating, but how am i supposed to manage that if it won't post?
  10. Wyldefyre2002 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I would be willing to send the mobo, cpu, and ram to anyone that could get this thing going. It hasn't been a good first experience. If all else fails, I'll probably part it out, since it's after the 30 day return policy on most of this stuff. The only thing that I know is messed up is one of the plastic clips broke on the ram holders, but it still holds it in place.
  11. nflesher87

nflesher87 Staff

Thanks Received:
    that is one hell of a good question lol
  12. Wyldefyre2002 New Member

Thanks Received:
    recently read yet more reviews, found this:

"Pros: Compact and RAID support, it boots up with the latest 1333 FSB CPUs, though it doesn't work well.

Cons: The specifications is misleading: the board I received on Oct 3 has BIOS version 216, according to Intel website, DG33TL supports 1333 FSB when it has BIOS version 267 or later. With BIOS 216, you CANNOT flash it when you have a 1333 FSB CPU (e.g. E6750) installed, so in practice, at this moment, you can't say this board support 1333 FSB at all.

Other Thoughts: I can't return this board because I have activated my Windows Vista with it! I need to find a older processor first to update the BIOS, it's painful."

Too bad I don't have an extra 775 laying around somewhere

Edit: Okay nevermind, mine's a 800 fsb, still scratching head
  13. nflesher87

nflesher87 Staff

Thanks Received:
    yikes, such a shame companies don't work out quirks like this sooner...
    I'm sure someone around here has an older celeron or something they could send you or something
  14. Wyldefyre2002 New Member

Thanks Received:
    it would be worth a try
  15. keakar

keakar

Thanks Received:
    rma the board to the manufacturer since your over the 30 day limit.

it is possible more than just the clip broke, you may have unseen damage to the memory stick as well as the board. i would test the ram in another computer to be sure its ok.
  16. sneekypeet

sneekypeet Unpaid Babysitter Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    My thought would be , as looking at your mobo on Newegg shows what looks to be a mobo with no onboard speaker. Go to Radioshack or your local PC shop and purchase a speaker that plugs in where your power and reset does. Try to get us a post code from that....depending on the tones it produces if any at all, they can be VERY helpful in diagnosing an issue, when nothing can be seen!!!!!
  17. freeboy

Thanks Received:
    try this, hold the power button for several secoonds..
    try this check, I know you have but humer me ok, all the wiring, did you get all the ps, the 24 and the 4 pin to the mobo?
    My mobo cuts out on a bios interuption if there is no cpu fan in the "CPU" fan try pin in one spot tnearthe cpu, forgetthat I rrun water, strange stuff liek that can screw your situation.. also theere is my all time oops, not turnign on the ps in the back of the cases... although that does not sound liek your issue
  18. Wyldefyre2002 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Like I said, I've already RMA'd it once, and it's giving me the same problem. I'm gonna email Newegg and see if I can swap it with a different board, any suggestions on microatx boards?
  19. Paulieg

Paulieg The Mad Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Go to your local staples or BB, and buy a cheap stick of RAM. Give it a try in your system, then return the RAM. This is very similar to a problem I had, and it was definately a vdimm issue!!
  20. Wyldefyre2002 New Member

Thanks Received:
    will try as soon as i get some cash
  21. nflesher87

nflesher87 Staff

Thanks Received:
    Just use a CC :)
  22. suraswami

suraswami

Thanks Received:
    Do you know if the CPU is still alive? Have you tried another CPU? Looks like your CPU died. Mine did. I fried a CPU when installing a cooler (wrong) and the mobo will powerup with all fans and lights turning on but no post. Then changed CPU all is well.

Did you install motherboard raisers before installing the mobo in ur case if ur case doesn't have a built-in one already?

Try pulling out ur mobo and put it on a Antistatic mat. Try to boot with only cpu +cooler and ram. did you install the 12V CPU power plug into the mobo (4,6 or 8 pin one for the cpu).

Do you have a PSU tester? Those are handly, try to get one and see if you get power thru all critical outlets.
  23. Wyldefyre2002 New Member

Thanks Received:
    That is possible, like nflesher said, if I had another cpu, I could try it and see what happens.
  24. Wyldefyre2002 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Is there anyone here that i could send the cpu and have them check it out?
  25. Random Murderer

Random Murderer The Anti-Midas

Thanks Received:
    i'd be happy to test it for you, assuming you paid for shipping.
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2007