1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Computer won't boot completely!!!

Discussion in 'General Software' started by tanusgreystar, Jan 16, 2009.

1. tanusgreystar New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hi. All of a sudden my computer won't boot completely. I get past the Windows XP screen and then the screen goes black. The HDD sounds like it's still working, but nothing on the screen. I am able to get into Safe Mode. It's probably something simple (hopefully). Thanks.

2. TRIPTEX_CAN

TRIPTEX_CAN

Thanks Received:
    What changes have you made recently?

If you can boot into safe mode you should try VGA safe more toy see if you are having a resolution related error.

3. 2wicked

2wicked

Thanks Received:
    If you have dual monitors or a tv hooked up disconnect the tv or extra monitor.

4. bassmasta Guest

I had this happening for a time. sometimes this would happen, sometimes it wouldn't. I never solved the problem, but a few weeks later my graphics card had an argument with a cup of water. When I replaced it I was fine, so I would say your graphics card is going.

5. tanusgreystar New Member

Thanks Received:
    I went into safe mode again. This time all I get is a black screen with the safe mode text around the screen. I went into VGA mode and all I got was my wallpaper. Then I pulled the vid card and ran the computer using the onboard vga and all I got was the desk top. I am able to get the task manager. That's all I can do. I'm not so sure it's just the card. I hope not! I'm going to try to swap HDD to see if I can use the vid card with that. I'm not sure what else to do. The last change I made was I downloaded some portable apps for school, but it was fine after that. I did go on a web site that flashed a warning about viruses and spyware, but I scanned and found nothing.

6. JC316

JC316 Knows what makes you tick

Thanks Received:
    Odd, sounds like your video drivers got corrupted. Could have bee that virus that did it. Post back after you change out the hard drive.

7. tanusgreystar New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well I switched HDD. I basically put in a new HDD, which I was going to do anyway, and the Video card is fine. It must have been the drivers. Thanks guys!

8. inf3rno

inf3rno New Member

Thanks Received:
    My dear friend your system is fine but you have been affected by some viruses or Trojan horses. Get yourself a Decent Antivirus and scan your HDD.

9. tanusgreystar New Member

Thanks Received:
    I ran AVG and it did not detect anything on the HDD. Is there a better program to run (preferably free)??

10. inf3rno

inf3rno New Member

Thanks Received:
    Try the demo version of bit defender 2009 with updates. It is free downloadable at their site.

11. 95Viper

95Viper

Thanks Received: