1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Computer won't boot =/

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Gamax, Jun 14, 2008.

1. Gamax New Member

Thanks Received:
    So yesterday I did everything I normally do, surf the internets, play some games for a while, music, etc. I turned it off no problem. Then today when I turned it on, it wouldn't POST. Like every fan would start spinning at 100% but nothing will appear on the screen. I saw the little 4 lights and it showed

Top right Red
    Top left Green
    Low right Green
    Low left Red

I think it's the Bios Sign up thing. So I cleared the cmos and still didn't boot. I unplugged everything, plugged it all (After checking and unplugging each device separately) again, and it boot. Is this a hardware issue? It's the first time it happens.

Thanks.
  2. a111087

a111087

Thanks Received:
    i have no idea what were the 4 lights..
    do u have a second pc to test on?
  3. Gamax New Member

Thanks Received:
    It's the four lights on the back of your case, usually the lower part, it's the USB JDB1 connector (MSI K8N Neo4 mobo).
  4. Gamax New Member

Thanks Received:
    does anyone know why would this happen?
  5. twicksisted

twicksisted

Thanks Received:
    well i take it you have internet access.... google the error codes for that motherboard... those lights are for diagnostic purposes and will tell you whats wrong ;)
  6. Gamax New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yeah it's the Bios POSTing the processor memory etc, it just hangs in there and doesn't post anything =/ it hasn't happened before though so I wouldn't know why did that happen...
  7. Error 404

Error 404

Thanks Received:
    Did you just take out the battery when you rebooted your CMOS? I found out the hard way that that sometimes doesn't work on modern motherboards...
    If you've only taken out the battery to reset things, put it back in and try this:
    Is there a 2 pin jumper/connector near the CMOS battery? If there is, does it have 2 pins or 3 pins?
    Should look something like this:
    [​IMG]

If so, try moving the jumper from the original position into the second position, as shown in the picture. Boot your computer, and if it loads into the BIOS, then shut down and place the jumper back to its original position.

Good luck!
  8. iamajunky

iamajunky

Thanks Received:
    Could be the CMOS battery itself, I had to replace my boards battery when i first got it from an overstock dealer.
  9. Gamax New Member

Thanks Received:
    it's not a battery, it's a button I just have to press for 5 seconds and it resets. I don't think it's a problem with that though since it has never happened before.
  10. twicksisted

twicksisted

Thanks Received:
    here we go....
    all you have to do is go to this page: http://www.msicomputer.com/support/sup_tshoot.asp#1_4

possibly you have the clear cmos switch in the incorrect place... this would make most sense
  11. Adrenaline New Member

Thanks Received:
    If it still worked yesterday..that's strange.