1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

computer won't restart from standby

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by geno368, Nov 19, 2009.

1. geno368 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I have a pc running XP home sp3 and when it goes to low power or standby, it won't wake back up. I can't even do a power on with the button. What should I look at first?

2. THRiLL KiLL

THRiLL KiLL

Thanks Received:
    I would check to see that all the hardware you have is xp compatible. Older cards (like parallel cards) can cause the machine not to go into hibernation

3. Reefer86

Reefer86

Thanks Received:
    hmm check your power options in your control panel, there is a wake up option. Also some motherboards have options for wake up IE. if your using a USB keyboard, some motherboards will down power certain items connected keyboard etc. check these and let me know :)

Sounds like your machine is hibernating rather then sleeping... with it not waking up properly you can also turn off hibernating completing.

4. THRiLL KiLL

THRiLL KiLL

Thanks Received:
    More then likely the system is encountering an error but it is set to restart itself.
    Go to Sart - Control Panel - System - Advanced Tab. Under the Startup and Recovery section click the Settings button. Under the System Failure Category uncheck "Automatically Restart".

This won't fix it but instead of restarting automatically it should at least display the error on the screen and allow you to see what is causing the problem.

5. Reefer86

Reefer86

Thanks Received:
    i have never seen a computer error cause a computer not being able to wake up from sleep. His compluter is not crashing its simply going into sleep mode then its not waking up, may not be setup correctly enough maybe in bios if the keyboard is setup as ps2 when he is using a usb so computer doesnt look for it when in sleep so it de-powers it. So in turn wont wake up the machine or some crap like that.

6. niko084

niko084

Thanks Received:
    Sounds like a PSU problem...

Seem the exact same issue a dozen times, each time it was a PSU.

7. ste2425

ste2425

Thanks Received:
    could you fill out your system specs, under controll pannel on the left, this will help members on here find out problems, I.E. if it is your psu