1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Computer's lagging, really lagging, horribly lagging. It's lagging. Bad.

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Kantastic, Feb 15, 2010.

1. Kantastic

Kantastic

Thanks Received:
    My cousin's audio wasn't working and Windows couldn't automatically update the drivers. I eventually found some drivers on the internet and got the audio working. Unfortunately after getting the audio to work the computer started lagging TERRIBLYYYY! :banghead:

Startup would take like 5 minutes, doing anything in terms of opening/exploring the hard drive takes a couple minutes. Hell it took like 5 minutes to open up 'my computer'. I suspect the HDD is dying, but it makes no sense for it to suddenly lag like that after installing the Realtek audio drivers.

The one thing that amazes me is that internet explorer opens up in a snap and loading webpages/videos etc etc doesn't lag.

Any ideas? :p

2. assaulter_99

assaulter_99

Thanks Received:
    Just roll back and try another driver. Seems its the culprit, since it started since you installed it. I had the same issues with win7 too when i installed another driver other than what shipped with win 7. I dlod another one, installed it and it was ok.

I wouldn't say I had lagging issues though, my sound was rather choppy.

3. Goodman

Goodman

Thanks Received:
    That is the same computer that had some virus & audio problem if i remember right?

What i would do is get all drivers on CD or USB key & i would delete the MBR the repartition & reinstall windows

4. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Uninstall Drivers
    Pull the card.
    Run Driver Sweeper (Select Realtek)
    Install card
    Install drivers.

Magic!

5. TVman

TVman New Member

Thanks Received:
    YES!! rip out the onboard sound chip:roll:

6. assaulter_99

assaulter_99

Thanks Received:
    Rofl! Was that sarcasm? :D

7. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    ROFL! Aww man, you got me I completely missed that.

Ok, do what I said, but please don't rip the chip out!

8. Kantastic

Kantastic

Thanks Received:
    :D

I couldn't do it, it took 5 minutes to open up control panel, 5 minutes to load all the programs, like 10 minutes to uninstall the sound drivers, and after all that it was still lagging. It would've taken me all day to download/install/run driver sweeper without the thing lagging/crashing on me. I still don't see how internet explorer works snappy as usual, I could load videos etc etc without a problem but things like opening up folders/files took forever.

One other thing I did b4 the lagging began was give full control over the registry (via permissions) to all user accounts. I think I might have let loose a dormant virus? Regardless, I took the drive home and I'm going to scan it with good ol' Kaspersky again.

Edit: It kept throwing me errors when I tried to update the drivers via Windows and do a system restore, so something was really messed up with Windows prior to me gracing it with my lethal touch. I recall it was DirectorC who pointed out my likeliness of breaking hardware I touch. :laugh:

Last edited: Feb 16, 2010
    DirectorC says thanks.
  9. segalaw19800

segalaw19800

Thanks Received:
    SAFE MODE ? virus scan in safe mode ????

10. Kantastic

Kantastic

Thanks Received:
    I kept tapping F8 but nothing happened so I gave up on that. I probably should've tried tapping other keys on boot-up but I decided to screw it.

11. neoreif

neoreif

Thanks Received:
    +1 on scanning the HDD on Kaspersky! If it still doesnt solve the problem then I guess a fresh install of windows would do the trick! :D This is your cousin's lappy if Im not mistaken?

12. Kantastic

Kantastic

Thanks Received:
    No, I fixed her lappy with Kaspersky. She called me right after about her desktop having no sound, spent an hour on the phone with her and couldn't fix it. A bunch of us cousins got together for Chinese New Year, we ended it with a late night movie and then stayed over her place for the night. She asked me to try and fix her desktop so I gave it a shot. I finally found drivers on the internet and installed them, then when I restarted the computer (had to for drivers to finish installing) I heard the XP windows log off sound, bam sound worked again? But when the computer turned back on it started lagging like cray-zee!

Last edited: Feb 16, 2010
    neoreif says thanks.
  13. neoreif

neoreif

Thanks Received:
    I see! So maybe this time Good 'ol Kaspersky would have a fix for you again but as i have said earlier, a fresh install wouldl'nt hurt much too!:toast:

Kung hei Fat Choi mate!

Kantastic says thanks.
  14. Kantastic

Kantastic

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, that's what I'm planning on doing after backing everything up. Hell I might even give her my old AM2 system, all it needs right now is a processor and for $20 I can get one that'll crap all over her 3200.

LOL thanks for that. :toast: