1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Concorde replacement?

Discussion in 'Science & Technology' started by FordGT90Concept, Jun 22, 2011.

1. FordGT90Concept

FordGT90Concept "I go fast!1!11!1!"

Thanks Received:
    KieX and Jack Doph say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  2. 1freedude

1freedude

Thanks Received:
    I wanna work for Hyper Mach! My wife turned me on...to this plane...
  3. micropage7

micropage7

Thanks Received:
    fastest airplane just offers prestige and sensation that only paid with bunch of money
  4. assaulter_99

assaulter_99

Thanks Received:
    Well in these times of economical hardships nearly everywhere, one wonders if these "toys" still have their place, especially the way the first one panned out. The first one was a great plane though! Bit on the noisy side outside, but a sleek looking plane!
  5. Zyon

Zyon New Member

Thanks Received:
    Wow, 11 hour journeys cut to 2.5 hours from Paris to Tokyo, if they manage to make the tickets economical then you can go somewhere on the other side of Earth just for a lunch break :O

Only question is how hard will it be to pilot something that fast.
  6. FordGT90Concept

Thanks Received:
    Most likely computers do it all except take off and landing.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  7. assaulter_99

assaulter_99

Thanks Received:
    Yeah if tail-less stuff like the B2 and the SR71 can be tamed, a civilian jet will be easier to do! Will be a challenge to land these designs though, since stalling speeds due to the models you've displayed must surely be high due to the design/placement of the wings. Landings must surely be done at very high speeds. Tbh these designs must be on their infancy though, so design changes along the way will surely be done.
  8. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    It's about frigging time don't ya think ?.. And one of the main issue's is running it at a profit.

Was it not the french who helped to kill off the Concorde as that crap was left on the runway ?.
  9. Widjaja

Widjaja

Thanks Received:
    The concorde was such an impressive jet.
    A shame it was no longer in use.
  10. RejZoR

RejZoR

Thanks Received:
    If they really pull it off with those specs an intercontinental flight will take no longer than a slightly longer trip with a car. Crazy!
  11. Red_Machine

Red_Machine

Thanks Received:
    The current passenger jets are old and slow no matter how recently they were designed. If ALL jets in the world were replaced with one of these designs, I imagine the price would come down. As long as it remains niche, it will be massively expensive.
  12. W1zzard

W1zzard Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    i seriously doubt the economics will work out.

maybe $10b development cost + $1b per plane @ 20 passengers per trip, someone do the math
  13. RejZoR

RejZoR

Thanks Received:
    But you also have to remember that maintenance of Concorde jet was incredibly expensive. Materials wear down much faster and with constantly increasing passenger capacities, you just can't cut corners unless you want to have 500 ppl on your conciseness.
  14. FordGT90Concept

Thanks Received:
    I think there would have to be a revolution in propulsion as well as aerodynamics in order for them to be economically viable. This is probably why they gave the year 2050 as a target. I don't know what they plan to happen in the next 40 years but I think their estimates are probably correct.

The Concorde was only successful because of the customers it attracted. Seats cost tens of thousands of dollars if not hundreds of thousands of dollars. There was no faster way for a civilian to cross the Atlanic and likely, nothing short of Air Force one approaches its luxary. They could pay it off pretty quick but, truth be told, their clientel were vanishing so the aircraft did as well. Corporations own (or lease) private jets to get their executives around so they can't justify spending so much for seats on a Concorde. I'm sure these two designers are banking on the return of those high-class customers. If they aren't, then their focus is economics: can they make the per-seat cost cheap enough to compete with traditional commercial airlines to the point the commercial airlines want to buy them.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  15. DanTheBanjoman Señor Moderator

Thanks Received:
    Flying via space is the future.
  16. gumpty

gumpty

Thanks Received:
    Why does anyone REALLY need to get somewhere so fast?

Time is money right? Well just make broadband communications fast and seamless in conventional airliners and those people can work from their seat on the conventional long-haul flights. Somewhat negates the 'lost-time' argument.
    HossHuge says thanks.
  17. RejZoR

RejZoR

Thanks Received:
    The cost was not that high per seat on a Concorde really. A friend of mine flew to New York with it years ago. And even though they were abit better financially positioned, they aren't exactly rich, especially not in numbers where they'd pay 100k for a flight on Concorde for 1 person. I reckon it was slightly more expensive than classic flight but certainly not in the 5 or 6 digit numbers...
  18. qubit

qubit Overclocked quantum bit

Thanks Received:
    I'm unable to read the article while at work, but the idea sounds great. I really miss Concorde, so a replacement is very welcome.
  19. WhiteLotus

WhiteLotus

Thanks Received:
    I've often wondered this. Same goes for the country officials that fly to other countries for conventions...why not just use a webcam?
  20. DanTheBanjoman Señor Moderator

Thanks Received:
    100 people connected to eachother via webcam. Not going to work. If you look at those officials being bored when they are physically present, imagine how much interestthey will show when staring at a small screen.
  21. WhiteLotus

WhiteLotus

Thanks Received:
    but then they can just make a video, play that then fuck off and play solitaire or what ever they want to do. And maybe they might even get some work done quicker because it'll be mind numbingly boring for them.
  22. CJCerny

CJCerny

Thanks Received:
    I guess no one was paying attention in physics class. The main reason that passenger jets haven't increased in speed is because we haven't figured out any way to beat the sonic boom problem. Creating sonic booms over populated areas is a real bad idea. Concorde was only allowed to do so over open water. It was not allowed to break the sound barrier over land. Until we figure out the sonic boom thing, hypersonic travel will never catch on except between coastal cities.
  23. Bo$$

Bo$$ Lab Extraordinaire

Thanks Received:
    pretty hot presenter...
    didn't really see too many futuristic jets there
  24. twilyth Guest

Thank you. I was thinking about writing something like that, but couldn't get motivated.

There's also the issue of fuel. Even when it was cheap by comparison, Concorde still never made much money IIRC. I could be wrong, but I think if you included development costs, it operated at a loss until they had to shut them down.

Check this out

The only way it becomes profitable is with volume and scale and that, as boss pointed out, means being able to fly more than a handful of routes which are exclusively over water.
  25. Red_Machine

Red_Machine

Thanks Received:
    That's what I said. As long as it remains niche, it will never come down in price. If they had decided to mass-produce Concordes and replace most, if not all, trans-Atlantic and trans-Pacific conventional airliners with them then it would have worked out as a lot cheaper. More of them around = more customers, more customers = cheaper ticket prices.

These things need to be produced on a scale that will effectively flood the industry with them, less choice for customers/airlines means that they'd have used Concorde more often.