1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Configuring static ip on router

Discussion in 'Networking & Security' started by manub, Jun 3, 2013.

1. manub New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hi, i'm having cable internet (the ISP has given an RJ-45 cable directly) and they have given me ip, subnet mask and gateway and also dns. I have configured the given details on my computer. The ISP has weblogin proceedure and i need to login my details to use internet. So i have to use the same ip with same user id and password. So i can use internet on my pc with no problem. Now i have a Dlink router and when i want to access internet from my phone through the router, i have to stop the session in the pc and i have to login from my mobile. I Can't use internet both from pc and my mobile simultaneously. I asked my ISP about this and he told that i have to configure the static IP in my router and i have to obtain the IP on my computer as well as my phone. Can anyone help me how to do this please.
  2. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    Shouldn't the router sort that out itself? Turn DHCP on (should be on by default).
    jgunning says thanks.
  3. manub New Member

Thanks Received:
    I will check that. What i want is i want to access internet from my mobile and pc simultaneously. I want to configure the static IP in the router and i want to obtain the IP address on my PC. Any idea how to do that? [​IMG]. I'm using this router D-link 2730U
  4. kn00tcn

kn00tcn

Thanks Received:
    weblogin? strange...

well the world connects to the router first, but your isp might be doing something else that's similar to those wifi hotspots that you pay for access (at an airport, etc)

i'm thinking one way solve this is to have the pc be the gateway, mobile connect to the pc
  5. kn00tcn

kn00tcn

Thanks Received:
    uhh hold on, that router is DSL not cable?

just go into the settings, you'll be using PPPoE, enter your username & password that the isp gave you... & then your pc/mobile/etc connect to the router like normal

follow your manual or help text shown on the router's admin area
  6. micropage7

micropage7

Thanks Received:
    on network setting you can assign ip for any device that connected, i usually using mac address then assign ip number for that device so you just set it through router
  7. remixedcat

remixedcat

Thanks Received:
    Does your router have Static DHCP?