1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Confused about changing clocks

Discussion in 'RBE' started by Octopuss, Sep 19, 2012.

1. Octopuss

Octopuss

Thanks Received:
    I haven't used RBE for years, last time I did was when I still had my 4850. Since then I forgot pretty much everything I knew, and rest changed with new technology.
    I did read the guide and still am fairly confused. Hoping someone can shed some light onto this.

1) How comes there are 6 clocks in the bios I saved from my card, and about 10 in other bios for the same type I downloaded? Or rather, why can't I add new ones? Say I want the card (5850 in my case) boot with the default 725/1000 clock, but the actual 3D settings would be 800/1200. How do I do that when I can't (unless I missed something) add another clock and there doesn't seem to be a way to change how the modes are connected either?

2) Do the upper clock limits only apply to CCC Overdrive function? I understand how the signatures work, but maybe if I just set the clocks in bios I don't need to bother.

3) Does the "memory clocks should all be the same" rule still apply? I remember it would do funky stuff on my 4850, but seeing the current untouched bios has 1000/900/300 maybe it's no longer the case?

2. Octopuss

Octopuss

Thanks Received:
    Nobody knows?

3. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    Because clocks are managed by driver, BIOS modding, at this point, is rather useless for DX11 cards.

%-series cards, you can mod fairly easily, both in clocks and voltage. I suggest, however, that you simply mod the CCC maximums, and the voltage, and use software to clock, so that all those other clock modes can still be active.

4. Octopuss

Octopuss

Thanks Received:
    Hm, the trouble is I really despise CCC, it's huge pile of bloatware crap. Besides it offers absolutely no functionality I'd be interested in.

And for the maximum frequencies limit I'd have to mod the bios anyway, so it makes sense for me to do it all there :p

I am just confused why my bios has say 6 clock states and other I downloaded maybe 10.

5. INSTG8R

INSTG8R

Thanks Received:
    Ah but it DOES have functionality;) It lets you easily overclock your card...

6. Octopuss

Octopuss

Thanks Received:
    I don't see a reason to do it that way really. I just want to set a clock for 3D once for all. Shiny slider in bloatware addition to the OS doesn't cut it for me.

7. Jetster

Jetster

Thanks Received:
    You have 16 Gb of 1866 and your worried about CCC?

INSTG8R says thanks.
  8. DRDNA

DRDNA

Thanks Received:
    AMD GPU's will not run at their best with out the app you reference to as bloatware. You need the CCC application.

INSTG8R says thanks.
  9. Octopuss

Octopuss

Thanks Received:
    From general principle, yes. I disable services I don't need/want and I edit registry to stop unwanted stuff (like VIA audio deck, Java update checks etc.) from loading as well. It's called tweaking :p
    Which functionality are you talking about? Define "at their best".

10. Jetster

Jetster

Thanks Received:
    Back in the day of 128 Mb Ram I too did this but times have changed. You need Java updates and CCC and it has no impact on your performance. It will actually hurt your system to not have these services running. At least save you time to have to check on updates that fix problems. So relax and tweak something else :p Unless your still using XP

11. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    Except for features that change based on application profiles (which do help, even without crossfire.)

As far as the bloatware argument, it's kind of a moot point. Lets have a lesson on "how applications and memory work."

Task manager, it can tell you a lot of things about an application, including how much memory it uses.

[​IMG]

I: Working Set (Memory): How much active memory the application is using.
    II: Peak working set (memory): Maximum active memory the application has used in the past.
    III: Private working set (memory): Non-shared memory for that application.

Basically it says, "I've used a max of 100Mb of ram, but when I'm not doing anything (which is 99% of the time since CCC is just running in the background, no windows or anything,) it uses a whole whopping < 9Mb of ram." So if you're really going to complain about 10Mb out of 16Gb, I think you need to get your head examined because it's a drop in the ocean that CCC actually uses and since CCC uses practially no CPU power, you're just hurting your own video performance by not using it since it offers you the ability to optimize your video and 3d settings.

So yeah, it uses up to 100Mb when you boot it, then it caches everything and 90% of the application isn't even in active memory.

Congratulations, not using CCC has saved you 0.05% to a maximum (rare) of 0.6% of your memory. You're time has be sufficiently wasted. :)

Real tweaking is disabling things like SuperFetch when you have an SSD, disabling the page file when you have a ton of memory or moving off of your SSD to squeeze some more life out of it, things like that. Keep in mind that things that start at boot run once, and unless its a poorly programmed application, it won't use much resources at all once it has started.

"Premature optimization is the root of all evil." -- Donald Knuth
    For those of you who don't know who Donald Knuth is...
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donald_Knuth

Attached Files:

12. Octopuss

Octopuss

Thanks Received:
    Not having CCC and Java updates hurting whatever? Come on, you can't be serious with this.
    You ARE right there's no need to do what I do, but I'm not telling anyone to stop playing guitar because he has no band and thus it's pointless either, right?

No offence, but after seeing this I have hard time taking any advices from you. This is equally silly to me saving 50MB out of 16GB.

Thanks for explaining the memory usage sets though, I was bloody confused by those ever since I started using Win7.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2012
  13. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    There are a number of applications that will swap memory out to the page file if it is available because the application might know that it isn't needed. Not every application just shoves everything into memory, some applications (not many anymore,) will require that the page file is around to run (although I haven't encountered this in the last 3 years). The fact that I have a degree in computer science, develop software at a professional level, and have written assembly for a HCS12 micro-controller means that I know nothing about how computers work or how memory management works from a very low level. If you really want to play ignorant that is fine with me, just don't try to call me out when you only think that you're right with no background to reflect that you might know what you're talking about. :confused:

I'm not going to say your wrong with what you're doing, I'm just saying that you're optimizing the wrong things if you really want your machine to run faster. Since you obviously are resistant to being helped, I guess I'll stop trying to help you and let you fend for yourself. :ohwell: Good day.