1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Considering new build for 2011

Discussion in 'System Builder's Advice' started by Kursah, Feb 19, 2011.

1. Kursah

Kursah

Thanks Received:
    Dunno if SB is worth waiting for or not on the new MB's. But I have a friend who is chomping at the bit to buy my current setup sans my HD 5870 and 1.5TB WD Black hdd. That would leave me with some spending money to get a new setup. This time NOT going full tower.

I am considering the HAF 922 or 912 because overall I've had such a good experience with the 932. I do appreciate the wider side panels allowing more room for cables. I do realize I'd need to add fans to the 912 to make it worthwhile on the cooling front. But at 40 bucks cheaper than the 922...that seems worth it.

But I did just do a build with an HEC Blitz with a TX750 PSU, and was very impressed with how well it handles tons of cables and how easy it was to do a good cable management job. And for it's price, man is that a tough case to beat..well it's on sale for $39.99 atm.

Beyond that, I'm thinking I'll do a nice n' simple 1156 quad core build, 2x2 1333/1600, s1283 cooler (maybe h50 or h70...maybe...).

I'm kinda wanting to keep this in the $600 area at least atm.

Right now here's where I'm at Newegg-wise:

Once You Know, You Newegg

[​IMG]

I'm thinking the P55 FTW ( 132-LF-E657-RX ) from EVGA's B-Stock would do a good job as well @ $109:

http://www.evga.com/products/prodlist.asp?switch=20

Total with HEC Blitz: $550.93 before shipping

Total with HAF 912: $596.93 (includes Cooler Master 200mm fan for top exhaust duty, though not listed on my Newegg list atm)

I'm open to suggestions and willing to go with used parts. My HD5870 and WD Black 1.5Tb are good enough in their departments for my needs, and if the sale goes through I'll need a Case, DVD burner, PSU, fans, cpu, cpu cooler, mb, and ram.

It kind of all depends on if the guy pulls through with the sale or not. But I'd like something new to play with, and while I love my Core2/DDR2 setup, if someone wants it bad enough, I'm not gonna deprive them..if the price is right. :D
    rick22 says thanks.
  2. random

random

Thanks Received:
    Not considering Sandy? I think they are around the same price range.
    yogurt_21 and rick22 say thanks.
  3. Kursah

Kursah

Thanks Received:
    I would, but with the crappy initial chipsets, all you can buy right now is the CPU. If my buddy comes up with cash in hand, I'm yanking my hdd's, sound card, tv card and vid card and letting him take my rig. Hence why I was going this route atm, nothing is set in stone, but I figured if things happen sooner than April, then this would be my best option...though that's why I'm posting here to see what's better.

:toast:
    rick22 says thanks.
  4. Kursah

Kursah

Thanks Received:
    Well looks like I'll be building something this week to replace my rig. Suggestions or tweaks to the list above? Any better suggestions on a case? I'll go as far as $700 total..but need to work the budget this time around. I'd go SB if I could find an MB for em'. I wouldn't mind a solid 2500k build.

Please let me know what you think, where you think I change it up and do better. :toast:
    rick22 says thanks.
  5. Fitseries3

Fitseries3 Eleet Hardware Junkie

Thanks Received:
    If you use a single hard drive and dvd drive you'll never encounter the SB issue and even if you used more drives the chance of it being a problem is pretty slim. Its only a few weeks before the new revision ships if you arent in a big hurry to buy.
    yogurt_21, rick22 and Kursah say thanks.
  6. LifeOnMars

LifeOnMars New Member

Thanks Received:
    I just swapped out my 1090T@4Ghz with a superclocked GTX 460 1GB to an i5 2500k and P8P67. I had to sell the 460 and downgrade to a GTS 450 in order to help fund it but I have my 2500K@4.5GHz and it's all very smooth gaming wise. GTA IV runs so smooth at the max settings. Very, very impressed. I only have 1 hard drive and an optical drive, gonna swap out the DVD for an SSD and upgrade my graphics card in the next month or so....I'll be all set. The UEFI bios with mouse control is :cool: and boot up times are so swift.

Go Sandy or wait for the chips later on this year. I'm sure yourr setup is fine by all accounts until then.
    rick22 says thanks.
  7. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    I understand you want a new build. Its something I have been thinking about also. However IMO now is not the time. Here are a few reasons why.

1. Not many games if any take advantage of your current rig. As a gamer (which I know you are) nothing is even worth the extra horse power/money. Until we see a new console or some epic ass game made to bring your rig to its knees there is no point.

2. Both Intel and AMD have new architecture coming out or in Intel's case already out. But this is first generation. We all know first generation is riddled with bugs (look at sandy). A smart consumer waits for second gen.

3. AMD and Nvidia dropped the ball nasty with the latest generation of GPU's. They are ALL over priced for their performance gains compared to the previous gen. I would wait for the 7xxx series and whatever Nvidia will have to offer. I mean why pay 300 or 400 dollars for 10 for 15 FPS then what last gen. offers for half the price. Its stupid.

I would think about these points long and hard before I invested into anything. Building something right now IMO is very short term.
    random, Soylent Joe and rick22 say thanks.
  8. Kursah

Kursah

Thanks Received:
    Guys, if you read my posts, my rig is sold, I'm keeping my HD5870 and 1.5TB WD Black out of the deal. Both of those will suffice for my needs in their respective areas.

It's part of a working deal to get a couple different gaming rigs done for friends and customers, and I figured this guy has always wanted my PC, walks up with cash...I of course said yes. So once everything's done, my rig is moving on. I got a little more than I expected for my rig, as did he, now I'd like to get at least a pile of parts sitting so when I ship my rig off I have something to use.

My current build has lasted for years aside from a minor upgrade. And while Intel-wise if I wanna go with the new-new stuff it's kind of a crapshoot and waiting game...but that's why I created this thread is to possibly tune what my Newegg list is, find some other options, and say I have until Friday, figure out what the heck I'm going to get.

rick22 says thanks.
  9. DanishDevil

DanishDevil

Thanks Received:
    I've got a Corsair HX750W and a Xigmatek Balder if you'd like to take them off my hands for the build.
    rick22 and Kursah say thanks.
  10. rick22

rick22 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I hate these threads..Who ever has the most cash ...................buys the best fucking parts....shit i wish i had more money:nutkick::nutkick::nutkick::nutkick::nutkick::nutkick::nutkick::roll::banghead:
    AthlonX2 says thanks.
  11. Kursah

Kursah

Thanks Received:
    ???, umm ok there rick. Not sure why ya even posted that...:wtf: As long as ya feel better now, this thread must go on! :nutkick:

The Motherboard and RAM are taken care of. I will be going 1156, figure I'll go with what works now, we'll see what Gen 2 of SB looks like if I need to upgrade by then. I wouldn't be upgrading now but money talks and my rig is sold.

I'm debating between a Cooler Master HAF 912 + 2x 200mm CM Megaflow fans (top and front), will be around $90 shipped...but won't be too huge and bulky like my 932 is now, yet have plenty of airflow but still be more on the quiet side of things (read: low noise level is important atm). The other case I am interested is the Rosewill Challenger.

I know the Rosewill is a cheaper made case, but it looks good. Though I've been spoiled by how quiet my 932 is with the big slow fans, I don't want to lose that when I lose the and good cooling airflow when I lose the 932. So I'm open to suggestions. Cable management is also important. I'm considering the 922 because it's in that price range as well, but it's pushing the limit of case size.

Beyond that so far I have:

CPU: TBD
    RAM: 2x2GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 1600
    MB: Asus i55 Sabertooth
    GFX: XFX HD5870
    HDD: WD 1.5TB Black, WD 640aaks blue
    PSU: TBD
    CASE: TBD
    SND: Auzen X-Fi Forte
  12. rick22

rick22 New Member

Thanks Received:
    gee sorry asshole..thats how i feel....it's a show pff thread...
  13. AthlonX2

AthlonX2 HyperVtX™

Thanks Received:
    just wait for april and see what comes out, sandy bridge should be fixed soon. no reason to build an old system
  14. Lionheart

Lionheart

Thanks Received:
    The build looks solid too me man, ignore troll;)
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 20, 2011
  15. rick22

rick22 New Member

Thanks Received:
    sorry dude about my post in your thread..lol post 499
  16. Kursah

Kursah

Thanks Received:
    We'll see what happens here in time. If a few deals come through @ some lower prices, I'm gonna be grabbing hardware sooner than later.

17. sneekypeet

sneekypeet Unpaid Babysitter Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    On topic or enjoy the points. The BS stops here!
  18. random

random

Thanks Received:
    The post I quoted below helped me make my decision, hope it eases you if you decide you can't wait any longer and buy via impulse.

Kursah says thanks.
  19. Kursah

Kursah

Thanks Received:
    I am kinda leading towards either a CM 690 II Advanced, Lian Li Lancool K62 or a Rosewill Blackhawk. Not sure if the HAF is how I wanna go about a case this time around. That Lian Li is pretty tempting, kinda wish there was a vented window or a mesh side panel instead. Thoughts? Anyone have experience with any of these ( I know a few that have CM 690 experience :D )??
  20. JATownes

JATownes

Thanks Received:
    I can throw a vote to the CM690II Advanced. It has some great cable management and the airflow is superb. And if you think of going H2O, it can hold a 240 in the top, and a 240 in the bottom (if you remove the bottom HDD cage). My only gripe would be that the dust filters are a PITA to clean, as they are not easily removeable.
    Kursah says thanks.
  21. Kursah

Kursah

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, I've seen that by watching some reviews. Great looking case, and the Rosewill Blackhawk is actually a rip-off the the 690 with a few tweaks to the design. Both look good though.

I don't plan to do any water cooling setups, at most an h50 or h70...and I doubt even that. Same with SLI/CF, I prefer single gpu's. It's a tough call at this point, I'll keep researching as I am not quite 100% sure yet. Thanks for the input!