1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Console Porting is killing PC Gaming PQ.

Discussion in 'Games' started by nt300, Oct 26, 2012.

?

Have Games Stagnated, and who would you blame?

1. Weak Spec Consoles (Age Old Hardware)

26 vote(s)
    21.3%
  2. Lazy Game Developers (Cheap Console Ports)

53 vote(s)
    43.4%
  3. Both AMD & NVIDIA (Messed up Drivers)

2 vote(s)
    1.6%
  4. All of the Above

22 vote(s)
    18.0%
  5. None of the Above

19 vote(s)
    15.6%
  1. BumbleBee

BumbleBee

Thanks Received:
    a company makes USB dongles that let you plug in original NES, SNES, Genesis controllers but I doubt people who use emulators go through that much trouble. a PC can't replicate the magic a original audio chip makes and no matter how many filters you apply your still playing it on a LCD monitor. I think emulators are great at preserving games but that's all.

2. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    honestly though I noticed a major difference in Emulators on PC vs Emulation done by current consoles, the current consoles suck

3. BumbleBee

BumbleBee

Thanks Received:
    you mean like the Sega games on Steam?

4. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    the emulators current consoles use ive noticed, tend to be very buggy/slow.

5. chinmi

Thanks Received:
    well... console users is more then pc gamer user... so i guess most game will gonna be aimed for console users first....

6. lyndonguitar

lyndonguitar I play games

Thanks Received:
    yes, that's why the best solution is to just release consoles every 5 or so years and make them backwards compatible with at least the last 2 gen consoles. PC games would just "ride along" the consoles and we get better overall experience along the way

but seriously, I miss the days when PCs are the lead platforms. Make a game for PC, then port it to consoles, If it doesn't work, then fuck it we don't release it, If the developer is kind enough, make a completely seperate version for the consoles.

I miss games like Battlefield, Max Payne, Half-Life, COD, etc. (talking bout pre-7th gen games)

now its the opposite. make a Console game, then port it to PCs especially if it sells bad, improve a few textures here and there. and its done!

Thats why I really like companies who love to support PC gaming, with games like Total War, Minecraft, GMOD, MMORPGs, Strategy games...and companies like Stardock, Bohemia, Valve, indie-developers, and etc.

7. xenocide

xenocide

Thanks Received:
    There are plenty of games that are handled well on PC, but I think it's really just starting to sink in that in order to get PC Gamers to buy your game, it has to be a good port/version. People don't want to play a dumbed down version of the game with no customization and counter-intuitive controls. Whenever I see a game that I have to tab through the menus like a fucking BIOS menu, I want to throw my monitor out the window.