1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Constant BSOD

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by anticlutch, Mar 10, 2008.

1. anticlutch

anticlutch

Thanks Received:
    If this is in the wrong subforum, please feel free to move it :)

I'm posting here because I have no idea what's going on with my friend's computer. I built it for him and it ran flawlessly until he called me a few days later saying that it was constantly BSOD'ing. I went over and I managed to write down the error code (BAD_POOL_CALLER). I've ran Orthos for a few hours without any problems (nothing is overclocked here), and I even went as far as to reformat for him. I'm about to run Memtest, but I was wondering if there was anything else I could do or check for him?

And just extra info but the BSODs occur at any time... it can BSOD on the desktop, while he's trying to play CS:S, or just when he's browsing the web. Any ideas/suggestions are welcome... thanks in advance!

Specs are as follows:
    AMD Athlon X2 5000+ BE (stock speeds)
    Gigabyte GA- M57SLI-S4 Skt. AM2
    A-DATA DDR2 800 2x1gb (stock)
    MSI 8500GT
    Western Digital 160gb SATA
    Idle temps 23-24C, load temps 43C with an AC Freezer 64.

If I'm missing anything important let me know. Again, it has passed Orthos for at least 4 hours, and I've yet to run Memtest on this.

2. Retrospekt New Member

Thanks Received:
    That BSOD comes up with a lot of problems. Could you manage to get the exact error code?

Ex. 000xE000 something or other.

3. Cold Storm

Cold Storm Battosai

Thanks Received:
    If its something to do with counterstrike and also browsing the web, then it could be the video card it self... any way to swap out and see?? also whats the psu? Could also be the fact the Psu isn't giving enough power to the video card.

anticlutch says thanks.
  4. anticlutch

anticlutch

Thanks Received:
    The error code is 0x000000C2 (0x00000040, 0x00000000, 0x80000000, 0x00000000)

Power supply is a Raidmax 450w... even for a no-name brand I think that should be plenty for just a 8500GT... :\

5. Retrospekt New Member

Thanks Received:
    Google results say something about IomegaWare having conflicting drivers (That's from the microsoft website). Does he have anything of that sort on there?

I also had this error once on a laptop and it was the ram. Definitely do the memtest.

anticlutch says thanks.
  6. anticlutch

anticlutch

Thanks Received:
    Iomega? Definately not... I'll have to wait until tomorrow so I can get him Memtest... thanks for all the answers so far :)

7. Nitro-Max

Nitro-Max New Member

Thanks Received:
    Great Yarmouth, United Kingdom.{East Anglian Coast
    could be a driver issue somwhere?

8. Retrospekt New Member

Thanks Received:
    Other websites also say problems with drivers. I would just reinstall all the basic drivers. Chipset, video, and audio.

Also, when did this start happening? I would just boot into safe mode and do a system restore a week back...

9. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    Bad Pool Caller has always been caused by ram for me. Tho there are other causes.