1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Consumer Electronics Industry Announces Ultra High-Definition

Discussion in 'News' started by btarunr, Oct 19, 2012.

1. btarunr

btarunr Editor & Senior Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    The next generation of so-called "4K" high-definition display technology for the home – giant-screen TVs with more than eight million pixels of resolution, four times the resolution of today's high-definition televisions – will be called "Ultra High-Definition" or "Ultra HD," connoting its superiority over conventional HDTV, according to the Consumer Electronics Association (CEA).

CEA's Board of Industry Leaders unanimously voted yesterday to endorse the consensus opinion of CEA's "4K" Working Group recommending the term "Ultra High-Definition" and related performance attributes. The name and related minimum performance characteristics are designed to help consumers and retailers understand the attributes of this next generation of superior television and display technology beginning to roll out this fall. The vote came during the Board's meeting at CEA's annual CEO Summit and Board Retreat held here through Friday.

The Working Group, now known as the CEA Ultra HD Working Group, was formed earlier this year to bring a wide array of stakeholders together to discuss how best to define and educate consumers about this new technology.

"Ultra HD is the next natural step forward in display technologies, offering consumers an incredibly immersive viewing experience with outstanding new levels of picture quality," said Gary Shapiro, president and CEO, CEA. "This new terminology and the recommended attributes will help consumers navigate the marketplace to find the TV that best meets their needs."

The consumer electronics industry's new designation for Ultra HD products was the result of extensive consumer research conducted by CEA's market research group. "Ultra HD" consistently rated highest in terms of helping consumers understand the technology and in communicating the technology's superior viewing experience.

The group also defined the core characteristics of Ultra High-Definition TVs, monitors and projectors for the home. Minimum performance attributes include display resolution of at least eight million active pixels, with at least 3,840 horizontally and at least 2,160 vertically. Displays will have an aspect ratio with width to height of at least 16 X 9. To use the Ultra HD label, display products will require at least one digital input capable of carrying and presenting native 4K format video from this input at full 3840 x 2160 resolution without relying solely on up-converting.

"Under CEA's leadership, the Ultra HD Working Group spent the majority of the summer meeting and discussing how to bring this technology to market," said CEA Ultra HD Working Group Chairman Gary Yacoubian, president and CEO of Specialty Technology/SVS. "We discussed and debated two important steps, the name and recommended attributes, in a forum that allowed a variety of key stakeholders, manufacturers, retailers, broadcasters and Hollywood professionals to lend their voices. As we educate and raise awareness among consumers, I look forward to working with our robust committee to pave the way for a successful rollout of Ultra HD."

"TVs remain highly sought after and were the second most frequently mentioned device on consumer wish lists this holiday season, behind only tablets," said Shapiro. "There has never been a greater time to be a consumer of televisions and displays. You can select from a wide array of choices offering outstanding high-definition picture quality, an amazing 3D experience, and interconnectivity within and outside of the home. And now we are proud to present Ultra HD for those consumers who want tomorrow's next-generation of displays and televisions, today."

Ultra HD technology will be prominently displayed at the upcoming 2013 International CES, the world's largest and most important annual consumer technology trade show, which will be held January 8-11, 2013, in Las Vegas.

Ikaruga says thanks.
  2. EzioAs

EzioAs

Thanks Received:
    I always hate it when they name something like "Ultra" ,"Full" and whatnot.
    Just name it HD 3.0 or something like that.

Covert_Death and hellrazor say thanks.
  3. Fourstaff

Fourstaff Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Shall we go back to VGA, XGA, WXGA, QVGA etc instead?

4. xBruce88x

xBruce88x

Thanks Received:
    Or just Ultra Definition instead of this Ultra High stuff. My room mate is gonna be pissed... He just spent about $900 for what he thinks is the latest and greatest. (it was an open-box item)

More than 25k PPD
  5. Kreij

Kreij Senior Monkey Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    HD 3.0 would not market well as it would mean nothing to consumers.
    Ultra HD will work much better even if they don't know what it means. They will assume Ultra is better than Full in some manner, and they would be right.

These device will be crazy expensive when they hit the market and should come down to reasonable levels in 3 - 5 years when the adoption levels increase ... at which point we will be seeing something like Mega HD. lol

@XBruce : $900 is cheap. When 55" TVs hit the market they were over $10K and were not 1080p.
    I got mine for $900 which is still a decent price for that large of a television.

xBruce88x says thanks.
  6. Chevalr1c

Chevalr1c

Thanks Received:
    Hell yes! It would bring an end to all the marketing BS and hopefully better informed consumer (because they kinda have to acquire).

Crunching for Team TPU
  7. Fourstaff

Thanks Received:
    Nope, you will just give them an alphabetic soup and they will pick one randomly. Its still a common (for me) to meet people who thinks that 4gb 5450 graphics is way better than 7850 1GB.

8. Chevalr1c

Chevalr1c

Thanks Received:
    But it is way better for the average Joe/Jane, becuase it will help them put down energy costs. :rolleyes: A gaming videocard? Why? We have a Playstation.

Crunching for Team TPU
  9. Fourstaff

Thanks Received:
    Making it any harder to understand is not doing anyone any favours :ohwell:

10. james888

james888

Thanks Received:
    So.... Will this bring down the costs of current hd tvs and monitors. Could the 1440p monitors finally come down and out of korea for the low price ones?

Crunching for Team TPU
  11. Prima.Vera

Prima.Vera

Thanks Received:
    Let's hope so, but I don't think so for a couple of years....:ohwell:

12. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    OK, great, but can I get a single VGA that can do 2560x1600 in games decently(ie, >60 FPS), first?

Darkleoco and Eva01Master say thanks.
  13. Fourstaff

Thanks Received:
    Depends on game in question. I believe you will be getting over 60fps in Minesweeper no problem.

14. Jizzler

Jizzler

Thanks Received:
    Despite the poor naming, bring it on! Bout time we got some resolution up in here.

15. Delta6326

Delta6326

Thanks Received:
    I don't get why they say 4"K"... When I see 4k I think "4000", they should say 4X because its 4x 1920*1080=8,294,400
    and 3840*2160=8,294,400.

Also would be nice if we could get some GPU's that can actually use this res at realistically good FPS.

Also can't wait for people to start asking 'Is this "4K" HD really 4x better than my 1080p TV!?"

16. qubit

qubit Overclocked quantum bit

Thanks Received:
    This article doesn't look right without a picture. :wtf: :toast:

I like the fact this ultra def is gonna become mainstream, though.

17. james888

james888

Thanks Received:
    Really? I remember reading something about 4k hd being developed and would one day be the normal after 1080p. The article said the resolution of some 40xxx40xx resolution. At the time I thought it was interesting that "they" were saying we would go back to square monitors again.

If ultra hd is mainstream... What is enthusiast?!?

Crunching for Team TPU
  18. Fourstaff

Thanks Received:
    The one which comes after UltraHD obviously

19. james888

james888

Thanks Received:
    Ok then... Let me be more specific. What could/will the resolution of enthusiast monitors be if mainstream is ultra hd?

Crunching for Team TPU
  20. Fourstaff

Thanks Received:
    4x of UHD, so 7680x4320. It can be anything though, and its going to be years before we have another standard.

21. xBruce88x

xBruce88x

Thanks Received:
    damn that's a lot of pixels

More than 25k PPD
  22. james888

james888

Thanks Received:
    It could be anything but it will probably not be so vastly different than what we got now.
    If I were to speculate... enthusiast for 1080p is 1440p. By that same ratio the enthusiast resolution would be 5120*2880. Or would it be 1440p x4 for a 10240*5760?

Crunching for Team TPU
  23. Fourstaff

Thanks Received:
    Once you hit 2160p unless you have a super large screen (>24-27inch) pixel density is going to be high enough for almost all eyes. Makes it very hard to justify more pixels.

24. james888

james888

Thanks Received:
    I do have to agree. There is a point where it just become unnoticeable. Since when is an enthusiasts job to have justifiable hardware?

Crunching for Team TPU
  25. Prima.Vera

Prima.Vera

Thanks Received:
    I don't think we are going more than 8K (7680 × 4320) in the next 20 years, even if there are already some Japanese TV prototypes. Talking more than 8K is just SF right now...