1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Control cooling pad with software

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by Wingryder, Dec 6, 2012.

1. Wingryder New Member

Thanks Received:
    I use a dual core laptop as a desktop. It sits on a decent cooling pad which keeps the computer fans from running most of the time. The cooling pad does its job but at a noisy price. The pad is powered by a usb port on the laptop.

I would like to find some software that will kill the power to that port unless the built in laptop fans start.. then that sequence would power up the usb port and start the cooling pad fans as well.

I have considered this might just start a endless cycle.. the laptop warms up.. the internal fans start, the cooling pad fan starts and then the cpu cools and everything stops spinning.

your thoughts are appreciated.
    wingryder
  2. natr0n

natr0n

Thanks Received:
    no software exists to my knowledge.

The usb cooler is basically a fan with power plug, no data is present to communicate with pc.
  3. Wingryder New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yes true but would like to trigger that usb port to power up when the internal fan starts.
    One way woul be a relay and outboard supply for the cooling pad.. but would need a trigger signal from the laptop to fire the relay.
    Smarter than me I am afraid.

thanks for your input.

Wingryder.
  4. adulaamin

adulaamin

Thanks Received:
    Couldn't you just buy another cooling pad which has more silent fans or replace the fans on your existing pad with something better? :)
  5. Wingryder New Member

Thanks Received:
    Could but where is the challenge of the hunt in that??. My immed solution has been to kill the usb fans and run a quiet powersupply replacement fan pulling air through the laptop.
    Works but not the solid solution I would like.
    W.
  6. SaiZo

SaiZo

Thanks Received:
    Why not solder a switch on the USB cable instead? Then you can control when the fans should start.