1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Convert case expansion slot fixings from plastic locking clips to screw fixing?

Discussion in 'Cases, Modding & Electronics' started by OlderNotWiser, May 21, 2009.

1. OlderNotWiser New Member

Thanks Received:
    1. Is it possible to convert plastic expansion slot clips to a more secure screw fixing, and if so how? I like the look of CM Storm Sniper case but want to fit a Zotac GeForce GTX 275 AMP! Edition graphics card. Review of this case concludes "[Plastic]Clips to hold expansion cards in placed won't manage large and heavy cards" but the review of CM HAF 932 with similar (same?) clips noted "..but large cards may be beyond the grip of the plastic system. So if you do plan to take the HAF 932 to a LAN party for example that may mean that you have to use traditional screws instead." This comment suggests this is possible but I want to avoid an expensive mistake so would like to clear on this before purchasing a case.

2. Has anyone fitted a double slot space GTX2xx card into a CM Storm Sniper case and found its plastic clips adequate, as that would then relegate my query to one of only academic interest? NB: My build will be staying where it's first placed once assembled, so I'm not concerned about possible post-build carriage movement.

TIA

Planned system;
    Case ? - hardest choice!
    Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550s 2.83GHz
    Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R
    Zotac GeForce GTX 275 AMP! Edition
    Scythe Mugen 2 CPU cooler (website says "should fit" on this mobo)
    4Gb Corsair TWIN2X4096-8500C5 DDR2 (to avoid poss Dominator height clash with cooler)
    Be Quiet PSU Dark Power Pro 850W
    Samsung SpinPoint F1 HD753LJ 750GB
    LITEON x22 SATA DVDRW iHAS422-08 8
  2. kyle2020 Guest

If its the same locking mechanism as the CM690 (im assuming it is) the plastic thing swings back into the case, as if it werent there, leaving you a regular screw hole. Thats what im doing with mine right now :toast:

(If you remind me tomorrow ill take a picture and post it for you).
  3. BumbleBee

BumbleBee

Thanks Received:
    you can take the plastic retention clips off and use screws.
  4. OlderNotWiser New Member

Thanks Received:
    kyle2020 Thanks for the speedy reply.

Thanks for the offer but please don't bother taking a picture as I follow your clear response. Looking at CM website pics of 690 case, the clips look the same assembly (but in blue on 690 rather than black as fitted in the Storm Sniper).

many thanks again
    - OlderNotWiser