1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Convince me not to go Nehalem

Discussion in 'System Builder's Advice' started by Red_Machine, Jan 17, 2012.

1. Red_Machine

Red_Machine

Thanks Received:
    Hey guys, it's getting close to the time when I'm gonna be rebuilding my system and it's all the more pressing now as it's out of commision and needs a reinstall. I want an i7, I know that. I also know I want as much RAM as I can afford. But the form of i7 I'm still debating on.

Back in the summer when I was first considering this, Nehalem was still a viable option. Between now and then, prices have fluctuated wildly; from £260 for a 960 to below £200, back up to £250, down to £214 and finally now up to £240. I'm also considering the 990x purely for the sheer awesomeness of the beast and the lilelihood I won't need to upgrade for about five years with it. xP

But something still niggling at me like it was then, but even moreso now with the intervening launch of SandyBridge-E and the impending launch of IvyBridge. So basically, I want some advice on what I should do. For reasons I cannot fathom, I find myself drawn to the Nehalem series when there are potentially more appropriate solutions for me. Either sell me on something else or back up my instinct to buy a Nehalem please.

2. JrRacinFan

JrRacinFan Served 5k and counting ...

Thanks Received:
    What exactly does your personal usage consist of?

3. FordGT90Concept

FordGT90Concept "I go fast!1!11!1!"

Thanks Received:
    Nehalem is 45nm, Sandybridge is 32nm. Sandybridge are clock for clock faster, consumes less power, and produce less heat (my 920 /w stock cooling hit 85C running BOINC). A 2600K beats a Core i7 920 by pretty much every measure. You should really be looking at Sandybridge. If you're going to want >4 DIMMs and lots of graphics cards, I'd look at Sandybridge-E.

Crunching for Team TPU
  4. Red_Machine

Red_Machine

Thanks Received:
    My personal usage consides of gaming (with some very CPU-intensive games), general productivity and fairly regular use of virtual machines. The latter I had been having problems with lately due to a lack of RAM and CPU grunt. I also use the PC to watch A LOT of videos, mainly in HD that have in some cases bogged down my system.

And Ford, it would be either the 960 or 990x I'd get.

5. Crap Daddy

Crap Daddy

Thanks Received:
    This first. Then, Nehalem is old tech now and will be even older in 3 months when Ivy will be out. It doesn't matter how many cores you have except in some applications. Better IPC, faster clock per clock, higher overclockability, less power usage, I think that's important.

6. JrRacinFan

JrRacinFan Served 5k and counting ...

Thanks Received:
    Seems enough reason to go Sandy based. The HD video problem could be defeated with different codec configurations or even purchasing CoreAVC. DDR3 is inexpensive right now, might as well do it and fill the ranks (either way you decide). I won't attempt to convince you to go either route.

7. KieranD

KieranD

Thanks Received:
    A 2600K sounds about right as that has HT. I wouldn't bother with Nehalem as price and performance the Sandybridges are better.

If you go Sandy its Ivy bridge compatible.

Also there is intel quick sync which if using a compatible program, it uses the IPG in conjunction with the cpu and its very fast!

8. arroyo

arroyo

Thanks Received:
    I think right now going to Nahelm or Sandy Bridge is a bad option. Ivy Bridge is coming soon and your CPU is more than enough for games. With GTX580 you wont get bottleneck. CPU is important in low resolutions. In 1680x1050 it just does not matter.

9. Red_Machine

Red_Machine

Thanks Received:
    Actually, the Phenom II DOES bottleneck the 580.

10. entropy13

entropy13

Thanks Received:
    If you can wait, wait for Ivy Bridge.

11. Red_Machine

Red_Machine

Thanks Received:
    But that means I'll be without my main rig for another three months at least.

12. lilhasselhoffer

lilhasselhoffer

Thanks Received:
    Do you buy the 2010 hot rod, 2012 hot rod, or wait for the 2013 hot rod?

You want to know what Hehalem has above SB? Tri-channel memory and 6 core processors. That is it.

What does SB have? Better overclocking, lower power usage, faster DDR3 controller, better IPC, and better pricing structures.

What does SB-e have, beyond a huge cost? Everything SB has, but it trades low power/temp for QUAD channel memory. That means you can have (in a practical an not theoretical way) 64 GB of RAM if you had an unlimited budget.

The best of all, both of these sockets will support the Ivy Bridge die shrink. You can have a rig that will last very well for 3 years, and still be able to upgrade processors. This is entirely unlike LGA1156 and LGA1366.

There are 0 reasons to favor Nehalem in the current market. It may save a little money now, but between power usage and computational power you'll wind up way behind the curve.

13. BarbaricSoul

BarbaricSoul

Thanks Received:
    Too bad your across the pond from me. There is a I7 920 on my local CL selling for $130. If you were in the states, I would be willing to pick it up for you.

Crunching for Team TPU
  14. brandonwh64

brandonwh64 Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!

Thanks Received:
    Stinger may need this, PM him he is looking to start a new cruncher.

I believe the you should get a nice SB/SB-E and then when IVY releases, you will be able to just buy the chip and be mostly up to date.

Crunching for Team TPU
  15. NdMk2o1o

NdMk2o1o

Thanks Received:
    There is no reason to buy nehalem over sandybridge unless you can grab an C0 or is it D0 (sorry I digress)920/930 for around £100-£120 and a cheap Mobo/Tri-channel RAM kit. for a £200+ you would be mad to not get an 2600k/2700k, RAM is so cheap you can grab 4x4GB for £80 or less

16. Tatty_One

Tatty_One Senior Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    To me Sandy is your solution, Nehalem holds it's own pretty well in so much as it's not vastly inferior but to be honest why go for older tech when you don't need to, you will also probably get a better choice of motherboards at better prices than S1366.

From what you have said i don't even think you really need 8 threads, I would probably go for the 2500K and use that saving towards the lots of ram you want (16GB?) and probably go for higher speeds/tighter latencies..... maybe even throw a smallish boot SSD in there for good measure.

qubit says thanks.
  17. qubit

qubit Overclocked quantum bit

Thanks Received:
    So, your current hardware works, but you just need to reinstall the OS?

Definitely wait for Ivy Bridge. It's much newer tech and has all the advantages that people have pointed out.

18. Red_Machine

Red_Machine

Thanks Received:
    Yes, just the OS is an issue. But at the weekend I tried to get a temporary 7 setup installed as my laptop is now on the fritz. When I got to installing the GPU drivers, it now refuses to boot. Hoping that's just a software issue and not my 580 dying...

19. qubit

qubit Overclocked quantum bit

Thanks Received:
    Eek, that would be inconvenient. However, all 580's are still under warranty, as all cards come with at least 2 years warranty afaik, so get it RMA'd if you have to. If you don't have a temporary card to tide you over, then I recommend getting something super cheap and bottom end like a GT520 just to give you a picture.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2012
  20. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    Hmm,

i7 970 6-core, or

i7 Gen 2 3930K 6-core.

FIGHT!

bip

bop

POW!!!

FATALITY!!!

3930K WINS!!!

Flawless Victory.

mmm...s'ok for you, no? You buy winner, yes? NO loser for you, amiright? Why you want to buy the bloodied loser? You feel pity for him? You wanna make him yours, make him grow how you want? You know, he's like a pitbull, might just be too much to manage. It seems you are not trusting your gut instinct to buy nehalem. Perhaps you should heed your own warnings?

21. brandonwh64

brandonwh64 Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!

Thanks Received:
    Every time I see a post from dave I have to smile cause he so damn awesome!

Crunching for Team TPU
  22. arroyo

arroyo

Thanks Received:
  23. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    Proof is simple.

So, x4 gets 50 FPS, but

i7 gets 90 FPS?

:p

How is the chip NOT a bottleneck?