1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

coolermaster cosmos 1000: will a 240 rad fit

Discussion in 'Cases, Modding & Electronics' started by AUTOgod, Jan 28, 2009.

1. AUTOgod

AUTOgod

Thanks Received:
    hi. at this moment in time i have an antec 900 and a thermaltake big water 745. however there is a problem with this combination

after some devious mounting using the screws from my akasa evo 120 i managed to mount both rads on my case. the reult however, is this:

[​IMG]

as you can see, its none too pretty, and poses a clearance hazard, with the possibility of damage. what i am asking is, well, in the title really, can the rad from this kit fit into the top of a cosmos 1000?

i have looked at the cosmos s, but the potential noise level, that iffy power "button" and its hdd arrangement put me off somewhat.

putting the rads inside is really inportant as i seek to have less noise (the fans on the rads are pulling through air, producing a large amount of noise against the grill to protect fingers and it is near impossible to see to connect anything to the mobo.

any advice is greatly apperciated.

2. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    Can you not just put the rad on the rear ?.

3. sneekypeet

sneekypeet Unpaid Babysitter Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    there is a spot for 2 X 120 fans at the top inside of a cosmos.

Also you should be able to mount to the back, but maybe not as high due to the plastic top on the Cosmos.

AUTOgod says thanks.
  4. kyle2020 Guest

yes, a 24cm rad can be mounted in the roof of the cosmos 1000, as I have done with mine.

Im selling my cosmos too if your interested ;)

5. Cold Storm

Cold Storm Battosai

Thanks Received:
    In my Cosmos, I have a 360 rad in the top of the case. I had to make another set for the third fan.... But, a 240 should fit fine with the two fan wholes that are all ready there..

Here is a picture of when I first got it together...

[​IMG]

AUTOgod says thanks.
  6. kyle2020 Guest

7. AUTOgod

AUTOgod

Thanks Received:
    whoa! so many replies lol.
    ive been waiting around all day on another site, and didnt get half of these, only suggestions for the cosmos s.

since there appear to be so many cosmos 1000 owners around, i have 2 questions:

1: does anyone have the clear side panel version? does it hamper the sound proofing?

2: the 120mm rad on the thermaltake big water kit has a large area for the connectors, so it is difficult to fit in place of a standard 120mm fan. 5cm of clearance is required between the bottom screw of the fan mount on the rad, to the bottom of its casing. wondering if it can fit on the back, or will i need some more devious mountings?

diagram for clarity:
    [​IMG]
    please excuse the crudeness of my hastily prepared diagram.

lol

8. sneekypeet

sneekypeet Unpaid Babysitter Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    you could drill holes for the tubing in the rear of the case under the fan, or just reverse the rad so the tubes face the back and use the holes that are in the case.

AUTOgod says thanks.
  9. ajzustra

ajzustra New Member

Thanks Received:
    whoa!! I am new to this site and I like what I am seeing. What do you guys use these pc's for? is it for gaming? I like to figure out how to build one. any advice would be great!

sorry to stir this thread into another direction. you guys did a good job with these!

10. kyle2020 Guest

Mainly my PC is used for every day use (college work, music, etc) but I do game quite heavily :)

11. ajzustra

ajzustra New Member

Thanks Received:
    yeah we use our mainly for home/office use as well. Then we are hardcore WoW players. We just haven't branched from that yet. So much to do with that game in itself for rpg's.
    so I like I am trying to figure these killer machines with gaming :)

12. AUTOgod

AUTOgod

Thanks Received:
    its not the tubes that pose a difficulty, but the protective frame around the rad. the cosmos needs to have clearance to mount the rad inside since its huge anyway, but would be even bigger with tubes sticking out of it, so internal mounting is a must for the 120. would it be possible to mount it upside down and still have enough clearance to fit the 240 in the top?

any good?
    http://www.evilgaming.co.uk/product...1000_silver_black_alu_case_no_psu_with_window

Last edited: Jan 28, 2009
  13. AUTOgod

AUTOgod

Thanks Received:
    bump

14. Cold Storm

Cold Storm Battosai

Thanks Received:
    With a little bit of modding of the case, you can get it fully in there. You'll just have to play with it a little. But, it can be done man! You'll have to throw all the drives, DVD drive and such, at the bottom of the bay. That way you have enough room to do it the same way you have it in the case now.
    Just know, that it will take some time, and maybe a nice trip to the hardware store. But, it can be done! :rockout:

Note: the reason I had my tubing longer then it is needed, is that I wanted to have enough room to swap out the board, and so forth. But, that soon will be fixed and set up for the final time. I rushed it in a weekend with my dad.

AUTOgod says thanks.
  15. AUTOgod

AUTOgod

Thanks Received:
  16. AUTOgod

AUTOgod

Thanks Received:
    decided:

went with the regular version, can get the panel later if i want, or mod the case if ive got the balls lol

17. Cold Storm

Cold Storm Battosai

Thanks Received:
    If your keen on getting the window later, they to sell the side panels with the window. But, that would set you back around $100 us... Glad to see you decided on grabbing that case! It's a great case to mod!

AUTOgod says thanks.
  18. AUTOgod

AUTOgod

Thanks Received:
    found the windowed panel much cheaper than that.

as it stands $100 is roughly equal to £70.

well:
    http://www.overclock.co.uk/product/Coolermaster-Cosmos-Window-Side-Panel_7737.html

£23 + £10 for next day delivery.

WIN!

BTW: should be arriving tomorrow. got these with it:

FESER F1 UV CLEARBLUE 1L Water: http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/1l-F...r-water-cooling-systems-(Non-Conductive-10-S)

FLOW FS1/2 BLUE 1/2in SPRINGS: http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/1m-Aqua-Blue-Neon-Flow-Springz-1-2

2M FT-0083 CLEARTube 3/8'-1/2': http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/2m-TFC-Clear-Tube-3-8-ID-1-2-OD

ill post my results when im installed :)

Last edited: Jan 29, 2009
  19. Cold Storm

Cold Storm Battosai

Thanks Received:
    That looks pretty good! I can't wait to see it when its in.. I have UV active tubing and threw in UV active Dye for the res it self..

[​IMG]

As for the side panel.. Sweet find! I've made my stuff to be able to just carry around if needed. Nothing outside, everything in... But to me... It's like "everyone elses"... So, when I do go with a window, it's going to be very different! lol But, props on finding that!

AUTOgod says thanks.
  20. AUTOgod

AUTOgod

Thanks Received:

remarkably, i just went to google, and searched for "cosmos window panel" lol

it was one of the first ones. i thought it would take longer to find, but hey, doesnt matter to me lol.

i know what you mean, it wasnt till after i got the big water 745 i realised "ah crap, that aint gonna fit in there and its gonna be a :confused: to move around safely, without busting it", but i have thought that about the antec 900 pretty much since purchase. then the dust came. that was a :nutkick:.

then came changing from a 160gb and a 300 to those plus a 500, then from those to a 500 and a 1tb, and it was like :banghead: lol

im never going with a small case ever again lol

21. AUTOgod

AUTOgod

Thanks Received:
    blasted tubes are out of stock!

f***! now im pi***d.

cant even change the order. now its expected on the tenth.

bugger.

whats worse is that it was labeled as being in stock.

complaint has been lodged, and support contacted demanding either saturday deliver without the tubes, or a complete refund.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2009
  22. Cold Storm

Cold Storm Battosai

Thanks Received:

DAMN... That's some stuff... Here's what I do when I order after the whole "dell" thing... I take a screenshot of the order with my date and time on it. That way if something happens because they are "out of stock" then I can prove to them it was when I ordered and get my money back.. But, I'm with ya on demanding!! Oh... I hate that!

As for the small case.. Yeah, I hate it too.. When I built my first rig, a few months after I became a member here, I found this case and never looked back! I hated having my system before this... it was hard as hell to do anything!!

AUTOgod says thanks.
  23. AUTOgod

AUTOgod

Thanks Received:
    i made a print-off of the "receipt" and it still said that it was to arrive the 30th, so that should help. oh well. all i can do is wait for a reply, or wait until they open (9am) and give them a stern talking to by phone.

24. Cold Storm

Cold Storm Battosai

Thanks Received:
    well all you can do is call and see what they say.. Then call and call till they give itto you right! Best of luck man!! :Toast:

AUTOgod says thanks.
  25. AUTOgod

AUTOgod

Thanks Received:
    sorted. now arriving monday with uv blue tubes instead of clear, at no extra charge.

and, english speaking customer support :toast:

im impressed.

still, its a :nutkick: that some monkey cant count the stock properly.
    oh well, i should be the proud owner of a :respect: cosmos on monday :rockout:

EDIT: i think i have a smiley addiction lol