1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

coolermaster v8 - change fans to increase cooling?

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by Vario, Dec 15, 2012.

1. Vario

Vario

Thanks Received:
    Hey guys,

I bought a cooler master v8 for my Phenom II 965 x4 BE build. The case is an Antec 300v2. I haven't cooked the thermal paste on there well because I still haven't received the operating system yet (windows 7 pro), but I had the computer POST and idle in bios for about 3 hours. I normally like to prime 95 the computer for 8 hours or so before anything else so it gets nice and hot. Idle cpu temperature is 38 degrees as displayed in the bios, ambient room temperature is somewhere around 73 degrees. I also didn't do the most optimal thermal paste technique because of the difficulty of the back plate, then flip the mobo and put the CM on then screw down, so instead of a small bead of thermal paste, i have a small bead of thermal paste that I smoothed on with a plastic covered finger. It still is an optimal quantity but I like having the pressure spread it rather than spreading it myself.

I would like to see a lower idle, I was wondering if changing the CM V8's fan to a higher RPM fan would increase the cooling possibilities. I was hoping for an idle around 32. I went with the CM V8 because I liked the way it looked in my Dad's case and he was getting decent temperatures with his i7, so I am aware there are better heat sinks but the design aesthetic appealed to me :).

Thanks!

PS the antec 300 v2 has the weirdest power supply mounting problem: my Thermaltake TR2 700w power supply wouldn't fit (neither upside or downside)! I had to drill out 4 rivets and remove an angle brace at the lower back corner of the case!!!! Once this was done it fit fine.
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2012
  2. dark2099

dark2099

Thanks Received:
    I've always noticed higher idle temps in BIOS than Windows, so I would wait to see how it does once you get your OS. If there is a fan speed setting, than faster theoretically will improve performance.
  3. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    That is because the CPU isn't idling, it's under some kind of load when you're in BIOS.

To get proper idle numbers you have to do software readings from an OS. So I wouldn't worry until you have those.
  4. Vario

Vario

Thanks Received:
    Okay maybe it will run at some good temps once i get windows installed! That would be nice:)
  5. micropage7

micropage7

Thanks Received:
    changing fan would help you but there so many aspects related to cooling performance, like thermal paste, airflow, contact area between processor and hsf, running apps etc
  6. Vario

Vario

Thanks Received:
    I appreciate the advice. I will update thread with temperatures once I get windows loaded. I made a block off plate to keep air from escaping the side panel. This decreased the idle temperature in the bios by 1 degree. The plate is aluminum sheet metal with old school automotive paper gasket and silicon RTV sealant stuck to it. The exit fans are now blowing like twice the volume and the exit fans are near the processor so I bet this will help nicely. I have two 120mm fans in the front to create a positive pressure that blows to the back of the case.

[​IMG]
  7. micropage7

micropage7

Thanks Received:
    yep positive air pressure is nice
    if you could channel it to heat spots it would better
  8. Vario

Vario

Thanks Received:
    Seems like these "gamer" cases have way too many vent holes and fan spots, I guess they know their intended customer base.

[​IMG]

Opened it up again and rerouted the power cables and stuff to the back side so it gets cleaner air flow. I can't wait till I can get windows 7 on here so I can see what kind of clocks this thing will get.
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2012
  9. Vario

Vario

Thanks Received:
    Really happy with this setup. Just got windows 7 loaded.

32 degrees C idle 50 degrees C 100% load running Prime 95, room temperature is 73 degrees F.

I'll run prime 95 to get it nicely cooked in, then maybe start exploring overclock.
    TotalChaos says thanks.
  10. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    I try to put dust filters over them, or seal them completely if I can.
  11. Vario

Vario

Thanks Received:
    Heres my baseline 3dmark11 score