• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Cooling the mobo, RAM and HDD's...

So I've decided on a new build, and will be purchasing it in two weeks, so what do you guys think about mobo/RAM/HDD cooling, should I buy a CPU fan that blows air on the motherboard and/or RAM, or will a good case airflow be sufficient to cool down the components? The reason I'm asking, is because I'll be experimenting with overclocking, and I expect high temps coming off those. I know that, in general, the lower the temps, the higher the lifespan of a component, so I'm really concerned :) Sadly, I cannot afford water cooling, as the units sold where I live are quite expensive, and I'm not experienced enough with it to make my own, so I'm forced to look for an alternate solution :)

System Name QUACK
Processor Intel i7 2600K (3.4 GHz, 8 threads)
Motherboard Asus P67P8-V3
Cooling Xigmatek Balder 120mm (4x120,1x140mm case)
Memory Patriot 2 Viper Sector 5, 8GB DDR3 1600 MHz
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GeForce GTX 960 G1 4GB
Storage 1x Samsung EVO 850 (500GB) SSD, 1x Fujitsu 256GB SSD
Display(s) Dell Ultrasharp U2311h 23" (so sexy)
Case CoolerMaster Gladiator RC-600
Audio Device(s) Onboard 5.1
Power Supply Antec 850w with yellow racing stripes
Software Windows 7 HP 64 bit
If the case has adequate cooling, such as a set of 120mm fans for intake and extraction (front and back), then it should all be good. Assuming your RAM has heatsinks, then nothing should get too hot.

The HD and RAM are fine with their stock heatsinks. The motherboard will be fine to. As for CPU coolers, it depends on whats available in Bulgaria.

The RAM is Corsair's Dominator series, and I'm wondering if i should get the fan version, or not use it at all, and rely on the case cooling, because I've heard from people that their cooler is really loud. For the processor, I'll be sticking with the boxed cooling for a little while, and then I'll have to choose from the Noctua NH-U12P fan, or the Arctic Cooling Freezer 7. After 3 weeks of no reply from Noctua though, I will probably use AC. I'm using their thermal compound MX-2 and I'm really happy with the results it shows, so I'll probably stick with them. The ASUS case has (IMO) a really nice layout, and the airflow (With two 120mm fans, either Cooler Master or Arctic Cooling) should be sufficient, but I'm not really sure about that, so that's why I'm asking you guys ^^

That RAM is fine on it's own.

The Arctic Freezer 7 Pro is a great heatsink. But you could spend afew more [insert currency] and get a higher end one. Xigmatek, Scythe, Asus, Thermalright - to name afew.

That RAM is fine on it's own.

The Arctic Freezer 7 Pro is a great heatsink. But you could spend afew more [insert currency] and get a higher end one. Xigmatek, Scythe, Asus, Thermalright - to name afew.

I did lay my eyes on those Xigmatek Direct Touch ones, and the Scythe ones, but the models at my disposal are quite limited. http://dekada.com/ this is the dealer I'm using (as there is no other that sells high quality cooling here) and the only models I can choose from are there (if you can view the site that is :)). And does it really make such a big difference?