1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Cooling Upgrade Advice

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by gamer210, Apr 21, 2006.

1. gamer210

gamer210 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Okay, I have finally decided that my next upgrade was going to be a new CPU cooler. Here are my current specs:

Motherboard: ASUS P5GD1 (Intel 915P)
    CPU: Intel Pentium 4 540J (3.2 GHz)
    Memory: G.Skill F1-3200PHU2-2GBNS (DDR-400; 2GB)
    Video Card: ATI Radeon X800 Pro (PCI-E)

The CPU has a stock hsf and really needs a better one. I wanted to try something other than traditional air cooling and have narrowed my choices down to either the
    Coolermaster Aquagate Mini R120 (Water cooling)
    or the
    Asetek VapoChill Micro XTREME (Phase Change, sort of)

First off, has anybody had experience with either of these coolers? I've looked around at some reviews for the Aquagate Mini, and it works great with P4's. But it' more expensive than the VapoChill, and I have to remove the motherboard to install it. On the other hand, the VapoChill is less expensive ($30 less) and I don't have to remove the motherboard (according to Asetek's website). Unfortunately, all the reviews I have found apply to AMD's, and I would like to know what kind of temperature drops I can look forward to on my system.

I would appreciate any help y'all could offer.
  2. drade

drade

Thanks Received:
    The aquagate is a pretty good cooler, but let me tell you it takes alot of hard work to put on. I havent but I have seen mods and people who have bought that aquagate, I happen to think its a cool cooler for the price.
  3. gamer210

gamer210 New Member

Thanks Received:
    UPDATE

Okay, I've decided to go with the Cooler Master Aquagate Mini R120. The semester is almost over and now I have plenty of spare time to install it. I have one more question though. Would it be better to use the thermal compound that comes with it or would I be better off using Arctic Silver? Also, would lapping the CPU be worth it?
  4. tofu

tofu New Member

Thanks Received:
    One word of advice, use Arctic Silver 5 for ALL of your thermal applications.

With an R120, I think that lapping your cpu is definitely NOT worth the hassle, besides I never heard of people lapping their 775 CPU's, they only do so on the 478 ones.
  5. drade

drade

Thanks Received:

Glad you got one, Yes artic silver 5 is your best choice, if you cant afford it use the thermal compound just for a little bit...... But man good choice
  6. D_o_S

D_o_S Moderator

Thanks Received:
    AS5 is good for applications that do not go below 0 C

For anything below 0 C, I'd use Arctic Silver Ceramique
  7. gamer210

gamer210 New Member

Thanks Received:
    UPDATE:

Okay, I got the R120 yesterday so I'm going to buy the AS5 today, but which one should I get, the big one (5cc) or the little one (1cc)? I have another computer and am wondering if the small one would be enough for both pc's.
  8. Sasqui

Sasqui

Thanks Received:
    Have you overclocked your P5GD1 rig, by chance?
  9. bigboi86

bigboi86 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Just to clear something up...

The Asetek Vapochill Micro Extreme is not phase change, it's a normal air cooled heatsink.

Also, you do NOT want the aquagate...

OMG, nevermind you already bought it.... sorry I'm late... lol..
  10. gamer210

gamer210 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Video Card Update Advice

UPDATE

The results were great. Idle temps were in the 60's and load was at least 70. Now it never gets hardly ever gets above 55. The fan is a little loud at full speed, but I usally play with my headphones on so it doesn't bother me. On air the highest I ever got was about 3.36 GHz, but it idled above 80, so I just ran it at stock speed. With the new cooler I can get the FSB up to 225 on stock voltage. I think if I buy some faster memory and raise the voltage, I could get it higher, but I'm okay with it at the moment. Final clock is 3.6 GHz. I have my video card clocked at 530/550 with a stock cooler. My next investment will probably be a new one. Any body have any suggestions. I'm looking to spend between $200 and $300 on a new one. I'm thinking about an 7900 GT or an X1800XT.
  11. drade

drade

Thanks Received:
    I personally would go with 7900gt, I think they are amazing cards.

Im so glad you got that, find the isntallation a pain at all?

Great temps!
  12. gamer210

gamer210 New Member

Thanks Received:
    The install was a bit of a hassle. You have to have somewhere to rest the fan/radiator/resovior/pump while you're installing the block. I just put my lil' sis to work and made her hold it up.
  13. irenic New Member

Thanks Received:
    i owned this r120 before and all i can say it really helped me cooled my opty 170~ many people are saying that it is a rubbish wc, even worse than air cooling but i dont think so. It is almost as good as my asetek waterchill kit~.. and for sure better than my big thypoon..

the only downside is about the installation.. it's not a bit of hassle but it's a lot! the screw is too short for me to tight the nut. I needed to call a friend to help me everytime i want to installed the waterblock.

well good choice mate!