1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Core 2 Clubhouse

Discussion in 'techPowerUp! Club Forum' started by tkpenalty, Mar 7, 2007.

1. tkpenalty New Member

Thanks Received:
    Core 2 Clubhouse

(Moderators, do not move this thread please!)

Hey guys, this is the Core 2 Clubhouse. You don't have to join like my X1950 Series Clubhouse. Basically this is a support thread for all you guys who need help, or would like to talk about overclocking, etc. There can be members as well but this is more of a formal club.

*Members list*

Tkpenalty
    Teh_f0under
    Infrared

Malware
    TPU Staff

Kurash
    BXtreme
    Second in command
    Tatty_one
    Ex_Reven
    JMS45
    scoutingwraith
    tigger69
    ====================================================================
    Tips for purchase:
    ====================================================================

Core 2 Duo:
    Currently the best buy for the Core 2 Duo range is the E6600, highly overclockable and 4MB of cache makes it make the Core 2 Extreme look almost a rip off. However, this is not the case as the Core 2 EE is of more higher quality. If your budget does not prevail, the E6300 is also a good buy, the E4300 (around $200 USD) if you don't have an extra $30 in your pocket. E4300 is not better than the E6300 when equivalently clocked. Core 2 Duo E6300/E6400/E4300s are for general/server use and they don't compain when gaming. Highly recommended for all you intel guys over a Pentium D/Pentium 4 unless you cannot afford it.
    Something like a X6800 is just for max performance for overclocking or stock speeds.

Cooling wise, the stock intel cooler is almost silent anyway, so its rather pointless for after market coolers, unless decent overclocking, or wanting to show off your mad light show. Even though the stock intel cooler has the same appearance as the Pentium 4 ones, it uses a different bearing, and motor.

Stock cooling is substantial until you hit 2.8Ghz mark, from there on I would consider changing solutions. Nevertheless be wise in what you choose, since core 2 duos have lower heat output, and thus needing less bulkier coolers. Example:

-CNPS7700CU (Block of copper with fan on top). Its a decent cooler alright cools all the components around the mobo, however considering its weight, its a big flop. 1kg for such a tiny improvement at stock speeds is not really worth it. However its results are better for load temps. AlCU would be a better option. Nevertheless even with its weight, low height (it wont decide to rock around when you are shipping or moving it around) and its mounting mechanism prevents motherboard damage.

-G-Power Gigabyte/Thermalright HR-01/etc (Heapipe cooler with small aluminium fins, low weight). A good cooler, very light and well below the max weight for intel/amd, these are the best types of coolers to look out for, providing good performance and not being too bulky.

-CNPS9700AT/CNPS9700NT/CNPS9500/Thermalright Ultra 120/92 (heatpipe cooler with extemely large aluminium/copper fin array)
    Solid performance, however the weight of these coolers is back up to the CNPS7700CU. Note that these are "towers " and care must be taken upon shipping as the coolers's high height and weight make them reasonate more when being shipped or moved.

UPDATE: Those planning on purchasing the E4300 and E4400 PLEASE hold onto your cash, intel are phasing out both processors E4500 that has been released. the E4500 has a 11x Multi... YES 11x Multi, which means from 200 to 266 fsb will give u 2.926Ghz... Core 2 Extreme speeds.

Quad Core:
    Quad Cores these days are becoming mainstream, wait for Q3 (266 USD). Atm its too expensive for it to be substantially worth it. For businesses it would be a good choice as it would be better to have one Quad processor than two Dual cores. This does not make them crap, they are very powerful, except no applications utilise this extra power. Server owners should look into that. Overall great but, not practical at the moment, give it another few months and us dual core'ers will be wailing.

This time, stuff stock cooling and get a Freezer 7 or something. Honestly these run really HOT, stock cooling is not as good as the CPU cooler itself is different to the ones found on Pentium Ds/Core 2 Duos. Stock cooling barely keeps it running at a safe temperature.

Celeron 4xx: (Core 2 Celeron)

Very cheap and overclockable, however low cache is a bit of a let down. As cheap as a P4 now but offers much more performance, Celeron 4xx are the ones to look out for. Boasting low clock speeds, and a low multi as well as less cache, it produces very little heat in comparison with the Pentium Dual core, or the Core 2 Duos. In this case Intel uses a finely lapped and polished aluminium cored cooler, which is a good cooling solution, max overclocks top off around 2Ghz due to the low multiplier of 6x

Pentium Dual Core 1MB Cache: (Core 2 Pentium)

E2140, aka Core 2 Pentium, is very cheap being around $90, 7x multi, Allendale with 1mb disabled.

========================================================================================================

Last edited: Jul 14, 2007
  2. BXtreme

BXtreme New Member

Thanks Received:
    i've got a c2d e6300, i'll join this, also I was thinking for a gd cooler so I can get it 3.x, cuz the temps are killing me! i'm on a not-so-gd cooler....I think any zalman ones...

mullered07 says thanks.
  3. Thermopylae_480

Thermopylae_480 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Sooo many clubhouses. You guys should get together, make sofa forts, and have a battle. :)

Don't worry about anyone moving it by the way. I personally would rather have this here, and it's better for you anyway.

4. tkpenalty New Member

Thanks Received:
    a great moderator spotted :toast:

5. tkpenalty New Member

Thanks Received:
    In all my honesty, something like a thermalright HR- series cooler will help a lot. Those are by far better than zalman.

6. Thermopylae_480

Thermopylae_480 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Lol, don't be too quick with the praise. I never said I liked the clubhouses, just if they're going to exist I would rather have them in general nonsense :p .

7. tkpenalty New Member

Thanks Received:
    That's still cool. This is for those who don't know/read about it:

8. JC316

JC316 Knows what makes you tick

Thanks Received:

Your prices are off a bit. These are from newegg.

E4300 $169
    E6300 $183
    E6400 $221
    E6600 $313
    E6700 $512
    X6800 $965

9. tkpenalty New Member

Thanks Received:
    I mean prices of the average dealer. Thanks for the prices anyway =D

10. tigger

tigger I'm the only one

Thanks Received:
    i just thought i'd pop my nose in as i have a oo oo 6300 lol.

they certainly dont complain when gaming,even at 3.5ghz.:laugh:

11. tkpenalty New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yeah.. I just installed the CNPS7700CU again, this time with more thermal paste, evenly applied , with the base emerged in alcohol for 30 minutes. Now my idle temps are so low.. =D.

Man... 975X chipsets absolutely die (i.e. data not going through, textures from game not making it to GPU) when there is too much heat... 59*C...

32*C FTW!!!! before it was hitting the high 40s.

12. infrared New Member

Thanks Received:
    I'm getting on just fine with my i975x ;)

my cpu and NB are both watercooled, and i'm voltmodding the NB as soon as i can find myself a decent soldering iron. Once they're voltmodded, to about 1.9v (real volts, not bios) they usually can reach over 480mhz fsb. And of course! memory bandwidth is unreal!

13. ex_reven New Member

Thanks Received:
    id like to join your club :)

I have a E6400

my c2d WAS OC'd to 3ghz at stock volts but i cleared my cmos a couple of weeks back when i installed a new PSU. So currently im at 2.1 and cant be bothered OC'ing again lol. maybe when i finish this terms work at school ;)

Temps at 3ghz were about 40 degrees on boot.
    Dunno about load as of yet, but shouldnt be TOO hot :)

:toast:

14. Zubasa

Zubasa

Thanks Received:
    The Core 2 Clubhouse is in the non-sence area:wtf:

15. BXtreme

BXtreme New Member

Thanks Received:
    no, now in the club area ;)

16. tkpenalty New Member

Thanks Received:
    lol yeah. I wish I had picked a different name, oh well (more views now though which is quite good)

I've heard some bizzare reports of some C2Ds shrieking once overclocked too much. Can anyone justify this?

Right now on:

CPU SPEED: 2245mhz
    Bus Speed: 320mhz
    FSB: 1280mhz
    Multi: X7
    Speedstep off,

RAM Speeds DDR667 @ DDR800 speeds.

Btw, my generic RAM really sucks, it completely heats up the poor heatspreaders. Luckily my CNPS7700CU is blowing air on them... with the stock intel cooler... it crashed often.

My CNPS7700CU has a scratched base so I won't do heavy overclocking now.

What voltages are recommended btw?

17. infrared New Member

Thanks Received:
    I'd like to join please :)

cpu: 3.68ghz cpu 1.48v
    fsb: 460mhz (1840mhz)
    ram: 920mhz 1:1 4-4-3-8 2.4v

Cooling: Swiftech Apogee waterblock.

The "shrieking" is more likely to be the coils in the power circuits. A cpu is a solid lump, there's nothing on it that can physically make a noise.

As far as recommended voltage goes, it varies. I personally havn't needed to go over 1.52v, but then again i am on watercooling. I'd say 1.55v should be safe, just keep an eye on temps ;)

18. tkpenalty New Member

Thanks Received:
    At overclocked speeds and temps, its stil very cool (nowhere near pentium D heat generated... the motherboard laughs at these clocks, though I really need a thermalright to cool my northbridge). How hot does your northbridge get anyway? There isnt air blowing on it.. so It could be not as effective.

Should I heatsink the mofsets?

(anti-one star protestor, remove vote system only to moderators plox)

EDIT: you're in

19. Boneface

Thanks Received:
    Ive had mine to 4.0ghz and no shreiking. I did fry my board on an OC attempt however

20. tkpenalty New Member

Thanks Received:
    CLUBHOUSE CLOSED:

Reason:

Faggot keeps one starring thread, leading to low views.

21. infrared New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hmm, i need to speak with w1zzard, maybe to scrap the whole thread rating system.

22. tkpenalty New Member

Thanks Received:
    CLUBHOUSE RESUMED (I was pissed cos my parents were yelling at me)

23. new_rez New Member

Thanks Received:
    Here is a guide I found on C2D temps. I am in no way claiming it as my own work as it isn't. I got it from http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/Core-Duo-Temperature-Guide-ftopict221745.html

Thought i'd post it as a quote as the link could die (doubt it though).

Thanks

24. Kursah

Kursah

Thanks Received:
    TK, I'd like to join this club also! Might as well! Since I have my core 2 system and the x1950, it just seems right! I've got:
    Asus P5B Deluxe, bios 1004, fsb 1920 (480)
    >OEM Cooling
    e6300 1.86 @ 3.36 w/stock 1.32 voltage (reads 1.28, droops to 1.26 under load), Multi @ 7x
    >Cooling - Freezer Pro 7 w/AS5, 33c Idle, 54c Load
    G.Skill PC6400 phu2-2gbhz DDR2800 at DDR2 960 (480), 4-4-4-5, 2.25v, 1:1 Ratio
    >OEM Heatsinks, Corsair XMS Airflow Ram Cooler

25. tkpenalty New Member

Thanks Received:
    Arent you already in the club?

Have a look:

EDIT: WHoops.. wrong clubhouse heeheh...

Last edited: Apr 16, 2007