1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Core i5 2500k

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Doherz, Apr 2, 2011.

1. Doherz New Member

Thanks Received:
    Ok I currently have an athlon II x2 250 clocked at 3.6ghz.

I was wondering how much real world difference I would see upgrading to an i5 2500k.

By real world usage I mean average daily stuff like vidoes and email etc. Plus gaming such as CIV 5 and Bad company 2.

My other components are a hd 6850 and 4gbs of ram plus a bog standard hard drive.

For a decent mobo and the CPU the upgrade cost would be around £270. So I was just wondering what the bang for buck is compared to my current set up.
  2. Paulieg

Paulieg The Mad Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    You will see a difference in gaming, not to mention a huge decrease in boot and load times. It's a great upgrade path from what you have now.
  3. LifeOnMars

LifeOnMars New Member

Thanks Received:
    For a start, with the new cpu you wouldn't have to overclock at all to push your graphics card and not bottleneck it. It works great in the games you stated as well as every other game out there. You can also look forward to an uber smooth GTA IV at max details and great energy savings :)

Needless to say, I have been very very impressed with my 2500k and you will be as well. BTW I went from an 1090T@4GHz to this chip and I still noticed a big difference.
  4. Fourstaff

Fourstaff Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    You probably would want to take a look at the Phenom II X4 and the X6, that way you don't need to change your mobo. Probably going to cost 1/2 of the 2500K path while still providing substantial performance boost in games, and slight but noticeable change in "daily tasks". Possibly use the money saved to get a SSD?
  5. LifeOnMars

LifeOnMars New Member

Thanks Received:
    Nah, Phenom II is/will be redundant and wasted money. A 2500k upgrade would give you a good two year stretch at least without worrying about CPU bottleneck (and thats without overclocking)
  6. Rowsol

Rowsol

Thanks Received:
    The most significant upgrade would be an SSD. I imagine that 6850 isn't really lagging in games so extra frames wouldn't be doing much for ya.
  7. Fourstaff

Thanks Received:
    The Athlon II is holding the system back, SSD will not help the system as much as a quad core.

Edit: If you were to take a look at the charts, the Phenom II is not that far behind the 2500K, especially with an overclock.
    http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/foru...2500k-core-i7-2600k-processors-review-18.html
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2011
  8. LAN_deRf_HA

LAN_deRf_HA

Thanks Received:
    The gains in gaming will be quite nice indeed. My friend with a yorkfield at 3.4 went to a 2500k at 4.5 and it doubled his wow frame rate. Not to mention FSX can actually be played on max. By far the best gaming procs.
  9. Doherz New Member

Thanks Received:
    An ssd is pretty pointless for me Id think. My pc lives in sleep mode so boot times dont worry me. And the athlon is the bottleneck in the system. I want to steer clear of the phenoms as bulldozer is hopefully just around the corner. Im just weighing up my option as I need to get cash together for the parts anyway.
    Cheers for the input though guys.
  10. LifeOnMars

LifeOnMars New Member

Thanks Received:
    Having owned a 1090t@4GHz and running this 2500k at stock. It's a night and day difference.
  11. Fourstaff

Thanks Received:
    On the other hand its night and day difference between the Athlon II X2 and the Phenom II x4, OP will be happy. Perhaps night and day and night difference between the AII and 2500k? :laugh: