1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Core i5 750 Gets First Listing

Discussion in 'News' started by btarunr, Aug 13, 2009.

1. DaveK

DaveK

Thanks Received:
    I pay an even higher tax than the UK but if I broke my arm I'd have to pay. A lot. And wait for about 12 hours. And if I needed a bed I'd be out in the hallway on one.

I'd get the i7 920 anyway.
  2. mudkip

mudkip

Thanks Received:
    I'm ready for the battle i5 vs i7
  3. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    Waiting for 32nm to upgrade, I'm fine with my 775 setups. I'll be focusing on getting my AMD rig up to snuff, it is in desperate need of a new processor.

I know this is rather off topic, but they do pay, just not directly. Their higher taxes pays for their healthcare. It is basically forced health insurance. And poor quality health insurance at that... Countries with government healthcare have much higher mortality rates for things like Cancer, mainly due to the long wait times for treatment. And things that my health insurance covers, would not be covered in the UK or Canada under their government healthcare.
    phanbuey says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  4. mosheen

mosheen

Thanks Received:
    is there an i7 850 in the works??
    can't find much info.
  5. mdbrotha03

Thanks Received:
    It does not use QPI, it uses DMI. That is the sole reason why there is a PCI Express controller in the chip. There isn't enough bandwidth over DMI to power graphics cards.

I don't understand why there is any confusion on this. The information has been available since May.
    http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=3570&p=2
  6. btarunr

btarunr Editor & Senior Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Wow! Not many people get the concept of LGA-1156 AT ALL!

[​IMG]

The green rectangle shows denotes processor package. There are two separate dies under the IHS of a Lynnfield, one CPU die, and a northbridge die. QPI connects the two. So Lynnfield DOES use QPI.

Since the NB is inside the CPU chip package, PCI-E devices connect directly to the chip package. DMI is not a system interface!
    hat, MKmods, Nick89 and 2 others say thanks.
  7. mdbrotha03

Thanks Received:
    So how does the Processor and everything that is package with it interface with the rest of the system?
  8. btarunr

Thanks Received:
    The CPU die talks to DDR3 memory directly over memory IO, PCI-E devices talk directly to the NB die, and NB talks to the PCH (which is just a glorified southbridge) through DMI,

Just as in Bloomfield where, the CPU talks directly to memory, PCI-E devices directly to talk to the NB, and the NB talks to the SB through DMI.

Use some rational thinking, all DMI provides is 2 GB/s. You think a processor talks to the rest of the system over a 2 GB/s connection? :wtf:

A system bus is what connects the CPU to the rest of the system. DMI is not doing that. What comes out of the CPU die is a QPI connection to the NB (the rest of the system), and Memory IO to talk to the memory. So for Lynnfield, the system interface is QPI.
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2009
    Nick89, nafets and kylzer say thanks.
  9. mdbrotha03

Thanks Received:
    It is rational, I asked you how does the processor talk to the rest of the system. In 1156 processor also include the NB and PCI express. So the rest of the system would include the PCH. Which would make DMI the interface the Processor uses to the rest of the system.
  10. btarunr

Thanks Received:
    The 'processor' here is the CPU die. Not the entire chip. The CPU die is talking to everything outside of it using memory IO and QPI, this is in no way different from Bloomfield, where the CPU die talks to everything outside of it using memory IO and QPI.

DMI is a chipset bus, and on a Lynnfield machine all it's doing is connecting the NB die to the PCH, because 2 GB/s is all that it a chipset bus needs.
    kylzer says thanks.
  11. kylzer

kylzer New Member

Thanks Received:
    Wow you really know your stuff well i understand it allot better now thanks :)
  12. rajan1311 New Member

Thanks Received:
    any idea how much the entry level motherboards would cost ?
  13. btarunr

Thanks Received:
    Starts 6000 rupees. (Ranged $100~$300, but the cheapest ones will start at ~$120 or ~$130, they'll gradually come down to ~$100.)
  14. WarEagleAU

WarEagleAU Bird of Prey

Thanks Received:
    Wow, I expected it to be cheaper. I also read that Core I7 may work in lga 1156 sockets.
  15. phanbuey

phanbuey

Thanks Received:
    nah theyre going to name some 1156 socket CPU's "core i7" but no LGA 1366 will work in LGA 1156. Its just a bunch of propaganda.