1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Core i5 confusion

Discussion in 'System Builder's Advice' started by dathai, Jan 12, 2012.

1. dathai New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hi,

I'm on the verge of building my first system and have decided on buying an overclocked i5 bundle from overclockers.co.uk. listed here http://www.overclockers.co.uk/productlist.php?groupid=43&catid=2053&subid=2063

I'm sure this is a very noob question but can someone please explain to me what the 590i/600i/620i etc refers to and the difference in performance I should expect?

Just a note, this will never be used for games, just cad drawings, photoshop, some 3d visualization.

Thanks

2. Rule-R

Rule-R New Member

Thanks Received:
    Then id say, go for a low level i7, like a 950?
    i7 = HyperThreading = Better for the stuff you plan to do.
    i5 = non HT = cheaper and good for general purpose

3. entropy13

entropy13

Thanks Received:
    They're just what would they call the whole bundle. Think of it as the "product name", if the product was the whole bundle.

dathai says thanks.
  4. dathai New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thanks guys

5. overclocking101

overclocking101

Thanks Received:
    if you must get a prebuilt pre-oc machine I would get the 620i its not worth an extra $100 for the cpu to be .20ghz more oc'd

dathai says thanks.
  6. dathai New Member

Thanks Received:
    The machine isn't built, just the oc'ing is already done.
    I'm only opting for this as I'm a bit of a novice and don't want to mess it up.

I was looking at the 590i with a 2500k 3.3 @ 4.4GHz.

There is £110 (nearly US$170) in the difference with the same motherboard and RAM.
    Is there anything about the 2700k that would justify that kind of price increase, if the oc'd clock speeds are the same and .2GHz difference in base?

I know the i7 has hyperthreading but that seems to be of fairly limited use for my applications.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2012
  7. n-ster

Thanks Received:
    You practically CAN'T mess up the overclock with an i5 2500K or i7 2600K. I BEG YOU, DON'T BUY PRE-OC. I'd understand with something that is harder to OC like LGA 1366 CPUs, but LGA 1155's model is made for 8 year olds to be able to OC without instructions

We can definitively help you, but it is as simple as changing a multiplier... Takes less than half an hour to get a proper OC. Worst case you have to restart your computer...

technicks, dathai and INSTG8R say thanks.
  8. dathai New Member

Thanks Received:
    Cool, thanks for the advice.
    I've been having a look around and think I will give the OC a go myself. I guess it was just acting out of fear!

I'm sure I can put that €60 to better use then.

Does anyone have any advice on whether the price bump for the 2600k is worth it over the 2500k when hyperthreading seems to be of limited use to me for CAD and illustration purposes?

Again, I don't game and I generally only have a couple of programs open at a time.

I found this which pretty much states it's not worth the money
    http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/287?vs=288

Last edited: Jan 13, 2012
  9. n-ster

Thanks Received:
    What is the price bump? But in general, no, the 2500K is a better buy unless you do some heavy multi-threaded usage. I also don't know how much CAD etc uses HT

dathai says thanks.
  10. overclocking101

overclocking101

Thanks Received:
    wait a mintue the machine isnt built but the stuff is already overclocked?? im confused. who in their right mind would pay someone to overclock for them?? its easy and takes like a couple hours to get a good stable oc. less with the sandy bridge cpu's as there is less room for error.

11. Fourstaff

Fourstaff Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    No, you choose the parts, the help you OC it and then pass it to you. I am not paying £100 for them to enjoy OC'ing my system, but others will.

12. DanishDevil

DanishDevil

Thanks Received:
    If you're doing CAD and 3D visualization, you're going to need 8-16GB of RAM. I recommend getting a 2500K and overclocking it yourself to 4GHz (will take you 5 minutes), a decent cooler (Hyper 212+), and 16GB of memory (frequency and timings don't matter in your situation). We're totally willing to help you out.

Some CAD programs can also be accelerated by Workstation or nVidia CUDA GPU's. You might want to look into the specific programs that you'll be using and see which would help. We build a CAD machine for an architect (two actually) a while back, and this was the rundown of what we got him (he refused to overclock):

• Corsair 800D
    • Corsair HX 750W
    • GB-P55A-UD4P
    • i5-670 3.46GHz
    • 2x8GB Mushkin Silverline @ 1333MHz
    • 120GB Mushkin Callisto Deluxe SSD
    • WD 1TB Black HDD
    • ATi FireGL V7700
    • 30" Dell U3011 IPS Monitor
    • Hyper 212+

The essential parts for him were the high-clocked CPU (which is a dual core with HT, so a 2500K or 2600K would work nicely for you), 16GB of RAM is a MUST, the SSD always helps speed things up but isn't a necessity, and the FireGL accelerated every one of his programs that he used. The previous shop that built him a machine got it all wrong. They gave him a gaming rig with SLI'd midrange cards, and charged him out the bunghole for it.

dathai and INSTG8R say thanks.
  13. dathai New Member

Thanks Received:
    Wow, blown away with the help. Thanks a lot.
    I've decided I'm going to dive in and do all of the build and overclock myself.

Do you know what the advantage of a good video card would be if I don't do a significant amount of 3d rendering or any games? The most intensive 3d I do tends to be big SketchUp models.

Most of my drawing is in Adobe Illustrator which I have read has no use for a GPU.

14. DanishDevil

DanishDevil

Thanks Received:
    Unfortunately for GPUs, you've got to pretty much choose gaming or CAD. Let me find the thread that I asked for help in (I'm no expert in this stuff, I relied on the community here for help with that build as you'll see in the thread).

One thing I do know is that some Adobe programs are now CUDA accelerated, meaning a consumer (gaming) level graphics card will be taken advantage of. It wouldn't hurt to throw in a GTX 550Ti or the like if you think you'll ever do some gaming.

www.techpowerup.com/forums/showthread.php?t=131152

Best of luck, and feel free to run your final decision by us before you buy. I'd be willing to put together a Newegg Wish List based on your budget and what you need as well!

dathai says thanks.
  15. n-ster

Thanks Received:
    Definitively go with a CUDA as DD said. GPU. GTX 550Ti seems reasonable, but the GTX 460/560 (not Ti) seem better CUDA/$. However, unless you use Premiere Pro (video editing), it is a waste of GPU power. Buy a used GT 240 IMO (even if it is 512MB DDR3). GT 240 is definitively a great bang/buck.

4x4GB of RAM is cheap so you can go with that. Then the i5 2500K with p67/z68 is good. Hyper 212+ and maybe an extra fan would be nice for the CPU cooler, and might as get some thermal paste, I like MX-4 for it's easiest to use.

For the power supply, a quality one is better than a higher wattage one. Corsair, Seasonic and XFX are usually very good brands. Considering this is a budget buil, modularity is a waste of $ so I'm suggesting a Corsair CX400 or an Antec EarthWatt 430W

dathai says thanks.
  16. InnocentCriminal

InnocentCriminal Resident Grammar Amender

Thanks Received:
    I personally wouldn't buy from OcUK - apparently they've improved but I refuse to buy anything from them. If you're set on a bundle, I'd recommend Aria.co.uk.

dathai says thanks.
  17. dathai New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thanks, I'll have a look at Aria.co.uk. What is the problem with OcUk?

18. InnocentCriminal

InnocentCriminal Resident Grammar Amender

Thanks Received:
    My problem was their complete lack of professionalism when I had ordered a £300+ monitor with next day delivery. I received the monitor 3 weeks later to which they blamed the courier for and when I asked for a refund on the next day delivery, they refused. They then blocked my email address and banned me from their forums so I wasn't able to contact them apart from on the phone. When I rang, they told me nothing could be done about it and promptly ended the call.

Haven't bought anything from them since. Apparently they've improved and my friends have used them since but I won't.

19. aayman_farzand

Thanks Received:
    Don't waste money on the pre-OC'd bundles! You don't even need 3rd party coolers to achieve the overclocks they listed.

Sandy Bridge processors are very very easy to overclock, its just a matter of changing the multiplier and upping the voltage slightly.

dathai says thanks.
  20. dathai New Member

Thanks Received: