1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Core Temp or Speedfan, which to believe?

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by mandelore, May 2, 2007.

1. mandelore

mandelore New Member

Thanks Received:
    UK-small Village in a Valley Near Newcastle
    Hi all, while i have been monitoring the temperatures on both cores of my opteron 185, i have noticed a discrepancy:

On speedfan:

Core 0 say has a temperature of 6C, while core1 has a temperature of -10C

I have always used speedfan and just taken these as a given, however,

On Core Temp:

Core0 will have a different temperature differing by 3C, so in this case it would read 2-3C, while core1 remains at the same value of -10C.

Something to consider, i read up on core temp and it states it reads directly from the digital thermal sensors located within the cpu chip, but im not certain about speedfan.

Im hoping ( :) ) that core temp is the accurate one since both core1's are showing the same reading. What do you guys make of this?

Also, I display both core temperatures on a lcd display at the base of my pc case, using speedfan to send info to lcdsmartie, so if core temp is the accurate one i can offset the core0 temperature reading from within speedfan by -3C to get the actual temperature, if that turns out to be the case---> the fact you can offset values in speedfan may indicate its just reading from the mobo??

Cheerz, Mand
  2. keakar

keakar

Thanks Received:
    well unless your temps are running below zero then somethings wrong with those numbers or your in an igloo in alaska
  3. mandelore

mandelore New Member

Thanks Received:
    UK-small Village in a Valley Near Newcastle
    yes im running below zero, got it cooled with a peltier :rockout:
  4. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    I would always trust Core Temp over Speedfan. You can never truly be sure what sensor speedfan is really reading.
    Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD