1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

corrupt hdd

Discussion in 'Storage' started by unistarviv, Mar 11, 2013.

1. unistarviv New Member

Thanks Received:
    I have an 8 year old ibm thinkpad r51 and it now has a corrupt internal hdd...... i dont no much about computers so please suggest what i should do?
  2. jsfitz54

jsfitz54

Thanks Received:
    First, Fill out User Specs under the UserCP link in the dark grey bar above. This tells us all the info that may help with regard to system.

Corruption could be virus, Trojan or hardware failure. Do you run antivirus program? Which one?

Download HD Tune v2.55 and run full scan on HD. If there are a lot of red boxes when done, then drive is most likely bad. http://www.hdtune.com/download.html

HD Tune should also indicate Brand of HD. The Maker of HD most likely has its own diagnostic tool.

8 years old, what OS system, XP? Service pack 1,2, or 3?
    Bios version on laptop? http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/detail.page?LegacyDocID=MIGR-55029
  3. brandonwh64

brandonwh64 Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!

Thanks Received:
    I would just replace the HDD in it. After googling the model number it shows it has a PATA HDD in it. If you are in the united states, you can get a HDD from newegg for 129.99$ which is OUT OF THIS WORLD CRAPPY

Western Digital Scorpio Blue WD800BEVE 80GB 5400 R...

OR

Search ebay for 2.5in PATA drives
    Crunching for Team TPU
  4. Hood

Hood

Thanks Received:
    Start saving for a new computer - an 8 year old laptop isn't worth spending money on, since more components could (and probably will) fail at any time.
  5. Geofrancis

Geofrancis

Thanks Received:
    it is a pretty old computer but its perfectly good for general internet and office use.

if you really want to fix it either search ebay for a 2.5" hard drive and install windows yourself

or to make it go a bit faster search ebay for a 2.5 ide SSD it will make that laptop more responsive than its ever been before.