1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Corsair 500R

Discussion in 'Cases, Modding & Electronics' started by rturnock, Aug 27, 2012.

1. rturnock New Member

Thanks Received:
    Keep away from this. There is no documentation that comes with it. It has a fan speed control but no information on how it works. I plugged a connection where it looked liked it belonged and smoked a $500 motherboard. I thought Corsair was a quality company but this is junk.
  2. sneekypeet

sneekypeet Unpaid Babysitter Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Nice rant. Pretty sure there is a clubhouse here for all the corsair cases. As far as I remember the chassis was pretty solid when i had it. Seems you may have gotten one with an issue, but looking like where something goes and what actually goes there can be two completely different things.
    95Viper says thanks.
  3. Phusius

Phusius New Member

Thanks Received:
    Had my 500r since September of last year, not one issue. Maybe you just don't know what your doing? xD
  4. james888

james888

Thanks Received:
    I have a corsair 550d which has the exact same internal setup as the 500r, just a different shell. I am very very fond of it. If I did not get it I would have gotten a 500r. One thing I like about corsair cases is you can buy just about every part for replacement. Not only do they sell replacment parts, but they have reasonable prices on them too. Cheaper than your average pc parts store. You could even use corsair parts in other case mods or scratch builds and they would work well, and be easy on the wallet.

I wouldn't mind a corsair computer case clubhouse... if someone were to decide to set one up...;)
    Crunching for Team TPU
  5. Cold Storm

Cold Storm Battosai

Thanks Received:
    I all ways thought with there being a fan controller you just power it up thru molex. Motherboards have their own controller depending on the board.. Rant... I feel sorry for the search functions of the member
  6. theonedub

theonedub habe fidem

Thanks Received:
    What exactly happened? I can't think of what you could have possibly done to kill a motherboard as long as you had the slightest clue about what you were doing. Throw some pictures up, too.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  7. Cold Storm

Cold Storm Battosai

Thanks Received:
    I think it was this... Plug fan into mobo, which is controlled by case.. case controller is set to high, which then now overloads the fan header. Even at low it could do so.

Even if there wasn't documentation for the case. If you can come on a tech site to rant, you can use google to search for what "wasn't" there...
  8. 95Viper

95Viper

Thanks Received:
    Sorry 'bout your misfortune, however, you knew it had not come with documentation.
    You should have contacted, either, Corsair, the seller, or scoured the web for the required info, before blindly connecting and powering up.

A whole world of info at your finger tips... no one to blame, but yourself.

Even Corsair's web site has build videos, articles, links, etc.

Oh, and the 500r is a nice case, my son has one... it came with documentation and warranty papers.

Don't register just to post a rant... TPU is a tech forum, ask questions, give good (or great) answers, and even learn from others.

Now, you have a great day there, rturnock.:)
    MxPhenom 216 says thanks.
  9. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    1. It comes with documentation.

2. The fan speed control needs no information. Two settings: High/low

3. You need to familiarize yourself with your connectors before rushing through a build.
    MxPhenom 216 says thanks.
  10. MxPhenom 216

MxPhenom 216 Corsair Fanboy

Thanks Received:
    LOL!

Jesus before you go into a build make sure you know what your doing. And for a first build do not buy a $500 motherboard! :laugh:

The Corsair 500r has been the best case I have ever owned. Ive owned quite a few as well.
  11. Widjaja

Widjaja

Thanks Received:
    Only if buying expensive hardware made also made you a more proficient system builder.
  12. theonedub

theonedub habe fidem

Thanks Received:
    @erocker- technically there is a medium setting, too ;)
    Crunching for Team TPU
  13. iKhan

iKhan

Thanks Received:
    Err is it even possible for a case to ruin a motherboard?

EDIT: As they say...pics, or it didn't happen :D