1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Corsair AX 860 W

Discussion in 'Reviews' started by crmaris, Dec 12, 2012.

1. m6tzg6r New Member

Thanks Received:
    I got an AX860 today and as soon as i put the AC cord into the psu i heard whine. AHH cant stand whine, it is torture, and i wired and cable tied all my psu cables all neat and tidy, i wanna just get a new ax860 unit and swap it out, and hope it dosnt whine, so i havnt gotta rip out all my cables.

Also the 8+8pin pci-e cables are kinda stupid, it has the first plug and then it branches the 2nd plug off the first, it sticks out and can easily restrict the side panel from going on. Why arent they just both splitting off from the psu cable like on the AX750/850 models? How did corsair think the new method is better??

2. itsakjt

itsakjt

Thanks Received:
    Excellent information. :)
    Also is this why transformer coils are shielded with electrical tape?

3. McSteel

McSteel

Thanks Received:
    Not exactly, it's mostly there for (additional) electrical insulation. But if it's tightly wrapped, it does help with vibration dampening - a nice bonus. :)

itsakjt says thanks.
  4. Kaynar

Thanks Received:
    I had coil whine on my AX860 when the PC was actually NOT in operation (had to be in quiet room to hear it). Now (1+ month after purchase) I have LOUD coil whine whenever my PC is idle in windows. If i steam a video, use BOINC with GPU computing, play a game or even open and close firefox all the time I dont have any coil whine. And yes its 100% the PSU, I put my old 850W unit and there was no sound from anywhere in the system.

And that a FREAKING loud annoying coil whine this time, never heard so much, thinking to RMA.

5. m6tzg6r New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well i returned my 1st coil whine effected ax860, and got a 2nd one, it whines as well. I guess these new ax760/860 models whine??:banghead:

6. Kaynar

Thanks Received:
    £20 to £40 to return the coil whining AX860 to Corsair cause they are based in NL. This is a joke... I'm not buying anything that doesn't have warranty serviced from the online seller (website) again.

7. FreedomEclipse

FreedomEclipse ~Technological Technocrat~

Thanks Received:
    I know this is a little late but usually store warranty is 1 year, the store will deal with the RMA within that period - Its Corsair that offer the 7 year warranty and its them you need to deal with after that 1 year is up.

Anyhoo - I have one of these PSUs coming in as my 1050w powering my system is going bad.

8. Kaynar

Thanks Received:
    It was from Amazon.co.uk
    Also, when you buy corsair products you will notice that there is a paper inside that says something like "warning dear buyer: if you have a problem its Corsair that deals with it, not the online seller."

There is also something I didn't know about Corsair that I learned later on with my problematic M60 mouse. If you wait for 1 month after issuing an RMA request, THEY send you a package collection service at your door with DHL (in the UK) at THEIR cost, which is nice if you are not in a hurry.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2014
  9. FreedomEclipse

Thanks Received:
    You can deal directly with corsair for returns. Amazon should have sent you a replacement however if it was still under store warranty. Amazon failed to keep up their part of the sale of goods act

10. Kaynar

Thanks Received:
    My problem with amazon is that it would still cost me 20GBP to send it back to them and it would take them a month to approve a faulty item and give me a new one, IF they actually accept coil whine as an issue. On the other hand, it took 3 days for Corsair to receive my PSU and another 2 for me to receive the new one. Also, in this particular case, the PSU that Corsair sent me was somehow different, like it was coming for another factory or if was another batch. See, I didn't want to receive another coil whining PSU from amazon, as apparently its the first batches that had issues and when I requested an RMA Corsair already knew about it as a frequent issue about these series.

11. FreedomEclipse

Thanks Received:
    Did you ask amazon if they could refund shipping? Sometimes they even give you a prepaid shipping label to print off and stick on.

Ive emailed them my receipt for shipping items and they have always refunded me.

12. Kaynar

Thanks Received:
    Good to know for next time! thx

13. FreedomEclipse

Thanks Received:
    Honestly man - Theyre more likely to give you a pre-paid postage label. Though make sure you bought it from AMAZON themselves and not a merchant who is selling on Amazon. If you tried to contact the merchant but they arent playing ball and refuse to RMA then contact Amazon and they will refund you if you send it in to them.

14. Prima.Vera

Prima.Vera

Thanks Received:
    If you think your PSU's coil whine sound is annoying, you should really come to Czech and hear the coil whines from our trams. :)))))

15. FreedomEclipse

Thanks Received:
    But you have Czech vodka and sexy eastern european women to take your mind off it most of the time