1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Corsair AX1200i PSU & unknown TAICON capacitors?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by parzillum, Oct 31, 2012.

1. parzillum New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hey guys, i just bought today the Corsair AX1200i and i have one big question:
    I saw a TAICON brand capacitors at the modular PCB instead of the well-known Chemi-Con. What is known about their quality? Very concerned about this issue!
  2. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Could you post a picture please. I'm pretty sure from the review here that the unit uses Rubicon and Panasonic caps. Do you think you have a fake one or something?

I'm just not sure which caps you're referring to without a pic.
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2012
  3. parzillum New Member

Thanks Received:
  4. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    It's supposed to look like this:

[​IMG]

From what I've browsed on Taicon, they are not good.
  5. parzillum New Member

Thanks Received:

This is what worries me. Several times seen TAICON caps in the black list's.
  6. OnePostWonder

Thanks Received:
    I just did a search for AX1200i and Taicon and you're the number one post; that is to say, they aren't many places where the two are referenced together.

Did you buy the PSU from a reputable retailer? If so, it almost seems like a breaking news item that Corsair are using cheap caps in their high-end PSUs.

I'll be interested to see where this thread goes.
  7. adulaamin

adulaamin

Thanks Received:
    maybe it would be better if you posted an actual pic of the caps on your PSU although I think you're gonna void your warranty if you open it up... :eek:
  8. parzillum New Member

Thanks Received:
    Other parts of PSU look exactly like in the reviews. But these capacitors are very disappointed me, did not expect to see such trash.
  9. Delta6326

Delta6326

Thanks Received:
    If it was me I would call up Corsair and ask them or send it back for refund.
  10. Jetster

Jetster

Thanks Received:
    I don't think it would be a valid reason for refund. And if you opened it up it probably voids the warranty. You never know though call them they may just want keep there name and rep good
  11. qubit

qubit Overclocked quantum bit

Thanks Received:
    I think you're right to question it. Why do the reviews get given a PSU with the quality caps, but the customer one with cheap caps? That PSU costs a small fortune from a top brand, so you don't expect dodgy games like this.

Yes, contact Corsair about this and see what they say about it. I was thinking of getting one of the lower powered versions of that PSU when they come out, but I'll hang on until I'm sure of the build quality.

And as OnePostWonder asked, did you buy it from a reputable retailer?
  12. LAN_deRf_HA

LAN_deRf_HA

Thanks Received:
    I've been suspicious of this with a large range of pc products that get great reviews here and shit reviews from real customers. It's a problem when review sites get stuff sent for free instead of bought like everyone else.
  13. Vlada011

Vlada011

Thanks Received:
    This is unbelievably. People must open hardware and destroy warranty and than they see that.
    What to think other who don't think to open their AX1200i because that avoid warranty and kill people in some cases but it's basis for alert.
    This is highest PSU on market today if you believe in reviews. When you decide to spend 350$ for 2% difference and see that inside for me that is chaos.
    Immediately on CORSAIR Forum if everything is like you say. But than is question how to ask for new when you open that and maybe they count on that.
    I can't believe CORSAIR do that... If they do that...I mean that is chaos than...
    They first say if problem show up and everything change...
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2012
  14. okidna

okidna

Thanks Received:
    There's a high possibility that you can peek the caps from modular connector holes.
  15. Vlada011

Vlada011

Thanks Received:
    I didn't mean on that way, people shouldn't do that, never.
    It's not graphic card. But if official picture show some parts and one guy open and show something difference that's for big worry and for this and hardware before and in future.
    In the case that I have AX1200i I would though on that non-stop.

Do you understand if review show results with some parts and you buy open and see inside other parts, that change things radically and manufacturer can't say that is better that is good or that is same good manufacturer like first.
    I am big fan of CORSAIR.
  16. cdawall where the hell are my stars

Thanks Received:
    Wow that pcb is completely different....I would run it and see how they fair. Cheaper caps or not there is a chance corsair purchased a high bin of taicon caps. At least that is what I would hope.
  17. adulaamin

adulaamin

Thanks Received:
    I thought an OEM made the supplies and Corsair just sticks their badge onto it? Or is it only for some of their PSUs? :eek:
  18. Jetster

Jetster

Thanks Received:
    Seasonic makes most of them but its too Corsair's specs so its not like they just stick there badge on a Seasonic PSU

Ok I checked its made by Flextronics
    adulaamin says thanks.
  19. parzillum New Member

Thanks Received:
    3 hours later I will try to take pictures and write a detailed post
    adulaamin says thanks.
  20. parzillum New Member

Thanks Received:
    Sorry, still not enough time. Here are my photos and information about capacitors:

http://iceimg.com/i/da/df/e396d02735.jpg
    http://iceimg.com/i/6e/cf/a66dff3567.jpg
    http://iceimg.com/i/4f/b5/6e409d570f.jpg
    http://iceimg.com/i/84/b5/2e21f9d898.jpg
    http://iceimg.com/i/5e/f8/19db86b92a.jpg

if the Chemi-Con brand capacitors we have
    http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Corsair/AX1200i/images/in_modular_front_close3.jpg

6.3x2200mF KMQ
    6.3x220mF KZM
    16x100mF KZM

their parameters can be found on the link below
    http://www.chemi-con.co.jp/e/catalog/pdf/al-e/al-all-e1001m-120801.pdf

if the TAICON brand capacitors we have all (HH)P series
    http://www.itocp.com/html/20120912/articles/ax1200i/images/25.jpg

their parameters can be found on the link below
    http://www.taicon.com/product/pdf/hh.pdf
    okidna and Jetster say thanks.
  21. Jetster

Jetster

Thanks Received:
    Call them and politely say your doing a review on it. Use the Columbo technique

[​IMG]
    w00tie and Aquinus say thanks.
  22. Vlada011

Vlada011

Thanks Received:
    Before two years, pardon one year and few months... I was so mad because didn't find AX750 and I need good Gold PSU.
    At the end I bought Seasonic X-750. I love more AX series and from beginning I didn't like that Platinum standard. I like AX1200 more than AX1200i, what is that Platinum???
    Only 2% better than Gold and 3-4% better than Silver. Gold is somehow cooler, but when Titanium Standard show up, that will worth because Titanium If I look good have efficiency 90% at 10% load. That is more important than both Gold and Platinum Standard. I expect soon some improvements and in connectors and everything, redesign PCB, different cables, (EVGA first launch on market different approach like enthusiasts love)and good efficiency and in idle. Because this after Silver, Gold everything is I don't know...It's good because people can see with flashlight behind connectors...
    And I don't care more blindly for review, if read that my NEX1500 is not excellent like Seasonic and CORSAIR... but my PSU is better than any if work on 1200W, best cables and look on market and proven PSU for records. They make 2% difference like 10fps in games...

All of the capacitors used in the AX1200i are Japanese...???
  23. parzillum New Member

Thanks Received:
    very interesting
    I was banned from hardforum.com for the same topic

@You have been banned for the following reason:
    Guerilla Marketer

Date the ban will be lifted: Never@

So I was banned because I saw the discrepancy and ask questions about it.
  24. Vlada011

Vlada011

Thanks Received:
    What some people is ban because of this, that is not normal behavior, that is criminal. Ban because trueee???
    What is name of forum where banned people because true and sensitive questions.
    Serbian forum behave on that way when support ASUS, they show everything except EVGA, people can't know about records o EVGA HW, you know every little stupid thing about ASUS but you can't be inform about 2GHz record, that is more important than CPU records, but because Classified make that, admins think people are not deserve to know that. That is not good for selling. And because of that I'm more happy because I'm difference and stop to buy ROG and cross on EVGA.

Find reviews and cross out every wrong parts and question mark behind score...
    Everything is because hardware enthusiasts behave on that away and everybody AMD, NVIDIA, Intel all of manufacturer can behave like they want.
    They can make crap, delay, stop, ban, dose performance how they think... and play with people because we are special sort of people.
    If white capacitors is not Nipon Chemi-Con or if caps are not made in Japan for me review no more weight like before. But they don't made power supply.
    Maybe some ask why I react, my half PC is CORSAIR, my idea is ALL PC ONLY CORSAIR/EVGA for life. I pay RAM for few days I will have their RAM, more expensive than others because names and quality and I strictly wait CORSAIR monthly on 4GB only because I love CORSAIR. What to think if cooler grinding change caps after review in half production without warning...
  25. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    I went and looked and they deleted your post too. Clearly Hard Forums doesn't have moderators nearly as awesome as the ones we have here at TPU. A good reason to not go back there and stay here. :lovetpu:
    I would consider calling them out on that though, that's incredibly disrespectful for a legitimate question.
    radrok and qubit say thanks.