1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Corsair AX850 psu making pop noises but what could be causing it?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by dr emulator (madmax), Dec 17, 2010.

1. dr emulator (madmax)

dr emulator (madmax)

Thanks Received:
    as the title says my new ax850 watt is making pop noises, when i switch it on at the wall
    but should i be concerned about it?

now a few of you may know that my corsair hx 650 watt started making the same pop noises before it blew the rcd under the stairs, luckily leaving my i7 920 processor and my 5870 graphics card untouched

but the hx 650 psu, only started going wrong after i put it in my new i7 build, which leads me to think it could be one of a few things, starting with my coolermaster cm690II

why?

well i've heard that they suffer from poor grounding, so to remedie this i made sure things like my motherboard and graphics card were grounded properly by inserting and removing the motherboard standoffs, untill they took the paint off the thread i was putting them into,
    then i tested them all for continuity, before inserting my motherboard,

i then used some plated motherboard screws as the ones that come with the case are for a better word "black and non conductive" :wtf::shadedshu

then i used plated screws on the digital tv card and on the graphics card and also on the silent pipe so their should be a very good ground on everything

ofcause their is the problem of the powerpack itself being powder coated, so i also used metal screws on that

(i have tried to record the sound so that i could play it back to the guy at the shop and put it on youtube, but every time i use my mp3 player to record it, it doesn't do it :banghead::wtf:

now when i bought the powerpack i took it out of the bag and heard a rattle, so i shook it gently and a tiny bit of solder fell out :eek:
    sufice to say i took it back to the shop and he tested it and found nothing wrong:wtf:

so what would you guys do?
    as the powerpack works well enough and the pops aren't every day, and if i send it of it could take months to get back, leaving me without a pc :twitch::cry:

oh and i was planning on getting a i7 980x in the future, so i need to know it won't blow up taking everything with it

2. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    all my PSU's make a quick pop when i plug and unplug the cable, not sure about just flicking the switch.

your problem is not a grounding one. i've got that case, done none of your tricks, and have none of these problems.

my educated guesses are:

1. the noise is caused by power issues with your wiring/house (not the PC itself)

2. the noise is probably harmless. it may be a symptom of bad power, and not a cause of problems. you assumed the PSU blew the RCD thingy, maybe the RCD thingy is what blew, taking the PSU with it.

3. {JNT}Raptor

{JNT}Raptor New Member

Thanks Received:
    Running the same PSU here with no issues.....no special screws either. :D

4. Swamp Monster

Swamp Monster

Thanks Received:
    Please clarify what makes pop noise - Plug or PSU itself?
    If the plug makes pop noise when you plug it in the wall outlet while power switch is at ON state, then it is ok.
    And what is RCD?

*edit*^Two predators in one thread:laugh:
    *edit2* To dr emulator (madmax): With powerpack you mean PSU?

Last edited: Dec 18, 2010
  5. dr emulator (madmax)

dr emulator (madmax)

Thanks Received:
    it seems to be coming from the powersupply
    and is intermitent, as i said some where else (can't remember where :laugh:) my other powerpack only started making the same noises after i had plugged it into this new i7 build, which obviously concerns me as i payed over £1200 for it all :twitch:

oh and i do use a surge protector if that means anything

6. Swamp Monster

Swamp Monster

Thanks Received:
    That about tiny bit of solder falling out of your PSU usually means bad quality control. And that could lead to various flaws, including bad overall soldering job on PSU. And you can only imagine if other similar solder blob is inside, causing problems. Maybe something is poorly soldered, causing loud sparks? That could be the sound.
    I know this all is only assumption, but that is from experience soldering similar products.

I havent heard that kind of sound from a PSU, and there aren't any component inside it, that should make that sound even when overloaded. PSU should not make that sounds if only there are something terribly wrong with it. pls correct me if I'm wrong.
    I would like to see insides of this PSU, but that voids your warrnaty:( I sudgest that you get rid of it the sooner the better.

7. ShiBDiB

ShiBDiB

Thanks Received:
    I'd RMA it to be safe. No reason to risk frying an i7 system

8. dr emulator (madmax)

dr emulator (madmax)

Thanks Received:
    well i'm going to do some serious looking into this, as everybody can imagine i don't want everything going pop especially if i treat myself to an i7 980 x chip

the most annoying thing about this was, when i said to the guy at the shop, what happens if it blows up taking all my stuff with it, he just replied saying "claim of your home insurance",
    i was like :wtf: i've just paid over £165 or 255.96 US$ for the f censored.gif n thing :banghead:

well i was thinking of getting another with the 980 x just to be on the safe side, only thing is, is it going to be powerfull enough?

Last edited: Dec 19, 2010
  9. dr emulator (madmax)

dr emulator (madmax)

Thanks Received:
    as i said though i have a surge protection socket, and am wondering if it has got something to do with it,

only problem is it's got those damned one way pins holding it together, so i can't really open it up to have a root around and see if anything's burnt :banghead: :shadedshu

i can't see it being the wiring M, or the rcd as they are still all ok

my money is on the surge protector, only thing is i threw the damned box out, and i don't know where the receipt is :twitch::cry: :ohwell:

Last edited: Dec 19, 2010
  10. HXL492

HXL492

Thanks Received:
    You could always try this test with your psu

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FWXgQSokF4

however you must note that if you decide to do the test then thats your responsibility and not mine

EDIT: Whoops just did a re-read and found out that my post wouldn't help

dr emulator (madmax) says thanks.
  11. dr emulator (madmax)

dr emulator (madmax)

Thanks Received:
    lol that test would be quite hard to do on this psu as all the cables are black :laugh:

12. HXL492

HXL492

Thanks Received:
    Didn't realize that :(

13. dr emulator (madmax)

dr emulator (madmax)

Thanks Received:
    today it did the same sort of slap/pop noise (it hasn't made any noises since i tightened the screws in the main plug) suffice to say i'm begining to think it has got something to do with the mains lead that plugs in the psu

all of them don't seem to have good contacts(even the official corsair one :eek:) so it's either something like that or something inside the psu

14. jasper1605

Thanks Received:
    RMA possible? Like others have said, why risk your entire system if an RMA is available to do.

15. FreedomEclipse

FreedomEclipse ~Technological Technocrat~

Thanks Received:
    because RMAs take time,

dr emulator (madmax) says thanks.
  16. jasper1605

Thanks Received:
    I think this would be a good application of time=money though. If said PSU dies and takes something with it, then that time not spent will result in a loss of money; however, if time is taken to prevent the destruction then money is not lost.

Also, doesn't corsair have an advance RMA process where you put a downpayment where they send you a new one and then you funds get released once they receive the broken one?

17. dr emulator (madmax)

dr emulator (madmax)

Thanks Received:
    true so true, it can take upto a few months according to the shop :wtf::eek::twitch::cry:

i agree, although i doubt an input problem in the mains end would take everything out, as their is fuses and protection circuits built in, but then again we are all at risk i suppose of a big bang taking things out

as for corsair replacing a psu afaik you personaly bear the cost of sending it back (after the first year is up) never heard of a funds being released rma will try to look into that;)