1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Corsair CS Series Modular 650 W

Discussion in 'Reviews' started by crmaris, Dec 12, 2013.

1. crmaris

crmaris Reviewer

Thanks Received:
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 25, 2014
  2. LTUGamer

LTUGamer

Thanks Received:
    For many people high efficiency means high quality however that is not true. Also many many people thinks that Corsair always suggests better quality than other brands.

So many people will see this crap and say: OMG it is Corsair and it is 80+ Gold rated. It must be very good and such low price. I will buy two ones! However it is much better to choose High end 80 Bronze PSUs such as Corsair TX, Seasonic S12II or ect

8.6 is way too much

3. crmaris

crmaris Reviewer

Thanks Received:
    This psu is based on a very good and modern platform (LLC resonant converter, SR rectification etc) and performs pretty good especially in the efficiency area.

So why someone should buy an older design PSU (you mention SS S12II which is based on an outdated group regulated design) instead of this one? I would do it only to save some bucks.

In some cases high efficiency means that a number of good components was used and at least a modern design was utilized. For example you can't have Platinum efficiency with an older design. But some companies may use good caps in a Platinum PSU while others may use crappy ones in order to reduce production cost.

In this case the CS unit uses mostly Teapos which are just fine for non-Japanese caps along with polymers. I couldn't ask for Chemi Cons at this price range so I am good with Teapos. Finally its price is on the high side and it isn't low as you write on your post and an 8.6 rating is fully justified if you take a look at the performance per dollar page.

However in case someone doesn't agree with my rating he doesn't have to take it into consideration. Just look at the relative performance of the unit and the rough numbers of my measurements and you will get the picture.

erixx says thanks.
  4. rougal

rougal

Thanks Received:
    The warranty on corsair PSU is 5 years... there are also some for 7 years.. thats a good enough indication weather it PSU's has good reliability..