• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Corsair H60 in Lian Li PC-A05NB

synaesthesia

Processor Intel Q6600 G0 @ 3.6ghz
Motherboard Asus P5k-e WiFi/AP
Cooling Air - Scythe Mugen, twin 120mm fans
Memory 8gb OCZ Platinum DDR2
Video Card(s) ATI 5770
Storage OCZ Vertex 2 60GB Samsung Spinpoint F1 & F3 1TB
Display(s) Samsung Syncmaster 2253BW
Case Zalman GS1000+
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs X-Fi XtremeMusic
Power Supply Silverstone ST75F 750w Modular
Software 7 Professional
Benchmark Scores Bronze Swimming Certificate
Evening all :)

Just got rid of my Zalman GS1000 and Scythe Mugen in favour of a Lian Li PC-A05NB and Corsair H60.

Obviously the reverse ATX setup of the case doesn't lend itself too well to the cooler - intake being at the rear (and where the H60 rad and fan would be situated) and exhaust at the front.

When I have the H60 fan pushing air through the radiator into the case the temperatures soar so quickly it often shuts off before it gets into windows.
I've tried a push/pull but I imagine this only works properly with 2 identical fans? I've tried with a couple of different ones (the H60 actually came with some bright blue 120mm fan free, so used that with the Corsair one) but that didn't improve.

I have stable temps of 40-50 degrees with the H60 fan exhausting out the back (pulling air through) however that also nackers airflow in the case itself.

Is there any ideal setup in this instance?

Processor Intel i5-6600
Motherboard ASRock H170M-ITX
Cooling Cooler Master Geminii S524
Memory G.Skill DDR4-2133 16GB (8GB x 2)
Video Card(s) Gigabyte R9-380X 4GB
Storage Samsung 950 EVO 250GB (mSATA)
Display(s) LG 29UM69G-B 2560x1080 IPS
Case Lian Li PC-Q25
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC892
Power Supply Seasonic SS-460FL2
Mouse Logitech G700s
Keyboard Logitech G110
Software Windows 10 Pro

synaesthesia

Video Card(s) ATI 5770
Case Zalman GS1000+
Software 7 Professional
Cooler stayed put. First thing I did was remove the supplied TIM and replace with AS5. The only "out of the ordinary" thing I had to do on installation was fit some slim washers to the backplate, because the bits that pass through the motherboard are too long by about 2mm! That meant there wasn't a tight fit at all.

LordJummy

System Name Workstation1 | Asus G55VW-DS71
Processor i7 970 3.8GHz | i7 3610QM
Motherboard RIII Formula
Cooling EK 360 Supreme HF | Asus G55VW
Memory 24GB Dominator | 12GB DDR3
Video Card(s) 2x Diamond HD 6970 | GTX 660M
Storage 2x Vertex4 256GB | 256GB Vertex4 & 750GB HDD
Display(s) 3x Crossover 27" LED S-IPS + 30" DELL IPS
Case Corsair Obsidian 800D
Audio Device(s) X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro + Gigaworks G550W
Power Supply HX1000 + NZXT Black Sleeved Extensions
Software Win7Ult64Bit
Benchmark Scores ballz
Here is what I've done with my H70:

I tried it completely stock on my i7 950 @ 4.0GHz and it worked pretty well out of the box. I mounted it push-pull intake pulling air in from the rear of the case and blowing into my 800D. I have a 140mm fan on the bottom of the case blowing upward and 3 120mm enermax fans on the top exhausting up, as well as two more fans on the hot swap bay and hdd cage. This method worked well, but I wanted better temps. I tried different fans, but the fans don't make a huge difference unless you get some seriously powerful high static pressure beasts. Even then the difference isn't enormous. My best results came when I decided to try some different TIM's. AS5 had VERY poor results with this cooler. The H70 block is very rough, and has a lot of grooves. I think the AS5 didn't fill them well as it was really thick.

I got 10c higher temps with AS5, although no I did NOT let it cure. I am not patient enough to let it run for 200 hours. I find that ridiculous. I then tried some other TIM's and they weren't that great either. Finally I tried some Shin Etsu X23-7783D. I made sure to use my AS5 cleaner/purifier stuff to get the cpu super clean and polished. Also use latex gloves while handling this stuff. You don't want finger oil on there. The shin etsu performed wonderfully. I used the tiny rice grain method, and I do not spread it at all. I let the h70 block do the spreading. My temps dropped quite a bit and now I hit 68c max on load with the 950.

I think you probably have your block mounted improperly. You should make sure that the back plate is on very snugly and also remove the two sided tape. It bends the back plate, and serves no real purpose. Make absolute sure that the block is lined up perfectly with the grooves on the retention plate. Screw it in super tight and make sure it's really locked in there good.

I don't think you should be getting super high temps if you're doing push-pull intake, because it should be pulling cool air from outside the case. The other fans in the case shouldn't affect this too much. You do want to make sure all that hot air is exhausting though.

Don't intake more air towards the rad. Just focus on getting rid of the hot air from the radiator.

If you want to stick with AS5, remember that it will take quite a while to see the real temps with the h60. It takes a couple weeks to cure properly. I highly recommend using the shin etsu that I did. I have an extra syringe of it that I could ship if you can't find it locally.

Good luck!

I know the H60 is a bit different, but it's basically the same design, so these tips should apply to the h60 equally, except for the grooves on the block. yours is square so it should be easy to line it up perfectly as it goes right down into the back plate screw holes.

synaesthesia

Video Card(s) ATI 5770
Case Zalman GS1000+
Software 7 Professional
No worries cheers, i've plenty of varying compounds laying around. The AS5 was just closest to hand ;)

Will play around a little more with it this weekend, the temps are decent now but I would like a decent push/pull config.I figure by using the two lian-li supplied fans on the rad, I could use the corsair on the front of the case as exhaust which should solve any equalisation issues with flow.

Absolutely certain the block is mounted right and the first thing I did was checked it was flat and true. I did note it wasn't great - at least enough for me to consider lapping it :D

Many thanks :)