1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Corsair H70 - double sided tape on the back-frame

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Depth, Mar 23, 2011.

1. Depth

Thanks Received:
    So, I bought my lovely bit of computer an H70, half way through mounting I noticed the back-frame needs two thick pieces of double-sided tape on the back of the motherboard, presumably to soften the torque from the screws and reduce pressure on the frame.

Now, what concerns me is that only one side on the motherboard backside is free of soldering spots. I chose to assemble it with one tape hitting the free side but that meant the paralell tape hit a cluster of solds for capacitors on the front.

It's all together and ready to go but I'm really not safe with hitting the powerswitch untill I know if the tape bands are conductive or not...
  2. Nailezs

Thanks Received:
    actually the black tape serves the simple purpose of keeping the backplate from moving or falling off as you put the mb back into your case. the tape is non-conductive.
    Depth says thanks.
  3. scaminatrix

scaminatrix

Thanks Received:
    As long as it isn't on wonky, with the backplate being pushed by a piece of solder, it's all good.
    The tape bands are definitely not conductive.
    Depth says thanks.
  4. Depth

Thanks Received:
    Thanks :) Fired it up, cores run at 29c idle and 100% load runs at 50-52

Love the swirling sounds the pump makes as the bubbles settle, next step is a purely custom set cooling the gfx card as well.

(My concerns for the bands were not of the tapes itself, but rather the glue. Which sets, now that I think about it :shadedshu)

:toast:
  5. overclocking101

overclocking101

Thanks Received:
    I would put it on so that you dont short any caps or chokes.
  6. Depth

Thanks Received:
    Not possible. But as mentioned, it works fine. Doubt Corsair would launch a high-end device that shorts out components when used.
  7. sneekypeet

sneekypeet Unpaid Babysitter Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    The H70 backplate is plastic, there is no issues with shorting.

As said it (tape) is for holding the place of the plate, making a padding over the caps. While it isn't going to hurt the cooler to not be there, I tend to follow the instructions anyways;)
  8. Depth

Thanks Received:
    The tape itself wasn't my concern, rather the glue. And yes I know plastic does not conduct electricity.
  9. CDdude55

CDdude55 Crazy 4 TPU!!!

Thanks Received:
    If the glue was conductive they wouldn't have included that with the H70. The backplate, tape, glue etc all won't short out the system.

Personally i didn't use the sticky pads/tape that came with my H50, mainly because the glue they use is so strong that it's practically impossible to tear them off the board and backplate, so if you plan to use the H70 on other boards in the future i would leave the tape/sticky pads alone.