1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Corsair H70 fan advice

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by Rado D, Dec 1, 2010.

1. Rado D

Rado D

Thanks Received:
    Hey guys,couple of days ago,I've upgraded my MOBO,cpu and the cooler,which is Corsair big boy H70..I have to tell you that I was looking long and deciding even longer,you know yourself that there are mixed feelings about it out there..I however by no means regret buying it (well my girl did for Xmas...I know,I should have kept it till,but I had a buyer for my good old Asus P6T Deluxe MOBO and i7 920 CPU,so I had to use it then) its performance is outstanding! It idles 36 - 40 across the 4 cores of my new i7 950 and in Prime95 @ 3.6GHz stops around 65 - 69 degrees again across all cores and @ 4GHz its between 79 - 84 max.all at @1600rpm fan speed...so no complaints about thermal performance...BUT BUT BUT...the fans (as I expected from research results) are soooo godamn LOUD jeesuuus...@2000rpm its almost as my GTX 480 at full load LOL :D and @ 1600rpm is still too annoying for non heavy operations like watching movies or just browsing TPU forums :)
    PLEASE folks could you please advice a very very good replacement for those DUMB Corsair fans?? please I dont mind to pay premium if its worth it..Thanks in advance :)

2. Kantastic

Kantastic

Thanks Received:
    Grap a couple of Scythe GentleTyphoon AP15's. They don't push much CFM, but they do push a good amount through the fins due to their relatively high static pressure. For your purposes, they're perfect.

3. Rado D

Rado D

Thanks Received:
    and those are...?? :D

EDIT:I really dont want to spend without knowing that the new fans will outperform the Stock fans...

4. Kantastic

Kantastic

Thanks Received:
    You never mentioned you wanted better thermal performance in your OP, you said you wanted less noise without having to sacrifice thermal performance, and the AP15's will do just that. They may or may not drop your temps, but they'll do the same as your stock fans at a much quieter noise level.

5. Rado D

Rado D

Thanks Received:
    In that case I missed that sorry..well I probably have no moral right to ask for better thermal performance than the stock Corsair fans,cos they perform very well thermally..so should I specify that I wish the new fans would perform just the same..but with that little bit of less noise..shame that the stocks fans are 3 -pin and not 4 -pin,therefore the bios cpu fan speed managment options doesnt work with them...

EDIT: quote:"fans are 3 -pin and not 4 -pin" it makes me laugh that how they explain in the H70s instructions manual that you have to connect the fans 3 -pin conector to the cpus 3 - pin conector on the MOBO...while (I believe) most of the time the cpu fan conector is 4 - pin...haha LOL :D

Last edited: Dec 1, 2010
  6. LAN_deRf_HA

LAN_deRf_HA

Thanks Received:
    I run a CM R4 and an aerocool shark on mine. I have them connected with the included y splitter and I use one of the reducers on the shark as it's loud at full speed. It's quieter than the stock corsair fans were with the reducer, plus it looks better, so win win. If you get the shark though don't use it's included reducer, it drops performance by more than half which is a bit excessive.

Rado D says thanks.
  7. Rado D

Rado D

Thanks Received:
    Cheers :)

EDIT:Man that fan looks cool..are you using the black one..or are they all with LEDs? 82.6 CFM @ 1500rpm is not bad at all..so at that speed how are they compared to our stock Corsairs @ 1600rpm in the terms of loudness?

Last edited: Dec 1, 2010
  8. LAN_deRf_HA

LAN_deRf_HA

Thanks Received:
    I got the led one. It's clear so when I put it in the back it casts light in all directions from behind the rad. Noise wise it's all an improvement.

[​IMG]

9. Rado D

Rado D

Thanks Received:
    nice clean case you got there mate :) the green fan looks very nice...temps in prime95?

EDIT:is that a single fan on your rad?

10. LAN_deRf_HA

LAN_deRf_HA

Thanks Received:
    No it's push pull, the R4 is up front. And you don't want to ask me about temps. My chip is abby normal. 90-95c, even with the fans arranged to intake from outside.

11. Rado D

Rado D

Thanks Received:
    WOW man thats not good..might want to reinstall the cooler?maybe something is wrong,its defo not standard temps for H70 on i7 920..well @ 4.2GHz you are pushing it probably around the edge.

12. LAN_deRf_HA

LAN_deRf_HA

Thanks Received:
    I'm not kidding when I say it's the chip. I've been through 3 tops coolers and countless reseats. That's just how hot it runs.

13. Rado D

Rado D

Thanks Received:
    I've just tried to swap the stock fans for Noctua NF-S12B fans and they perform similar.I've put the stock fans back for now.

14. NdMk2o1o

NdMk2o1o

Thanks Received:
    You tried manually reading the temp with something? could be the sensors are off? just a thought, though when I had my 920 it would top out mid 90's too with 4ghz+ OC no matter what I tried

15. micropage7

micropage7

Thanks Received:
    most of hsf fans use 3pin power that connected to board, so it spin based on how hot your processor. So if you want a silence rig you need to make sure how hot your processor first, cooler processor = lower spin = lower noise, is the noise from the blade or the motor? If it from motor could be less lubricant
    if you want little bit silence what about enermax fans? It isnt hsf fan, its case fan with little db and there many size could match to ur hsf, just place it with zip ties and done

16. Rado D

Rado D

Thanks Received:
    exactly the same in my case too.

17. Rado D

Rado D

Thanks Received:
    if that meant to be for me,my H70 is brand spanking new..its simply well known that its stock fans are noisy.thats it.

18. brandonwh64

brandonwh64 Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!

Thanks Received:
    That H70 seems like its not doing a good job? Im using a Corsair A70 (YES AIR!) and not getting over 73 deg full load!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Crunching for Team TPU
  19. sttubs

sttubs

Thanks Received:
    When you say they perform similar, do you mean as far as cooling, or too loud still?

20. Rado D

Rado D

Thanks Received:
  21. brandonwh64

Thanks Received:
    OK sure will!

also CADAVECA would differ with you on that whole prime/IBT issue LOL

Crunching for Team TPU
  22. Rado D

Rado D

Thanks Received:
    I can say that in both therms..but mind that It was Corsssair stock fans @ 1600rpm and the Noctuas @ aprox.1400rpm...to be honest its total 4 120mm fans spinning next to each other at the same time,2 about 1400rpm and 2 about 1600rpm and that cant be silent anymore..I even realised a while ago with my Noctuas (have 4 atm,same type) that altough they are the same type they will never spin at the exactly same speed.there is usually about 50rpm - 60rpm or so difference and this difference elevates the noise at some point.in the terms of 2 fans spinning next to each other at similar,but not exactly same speed and therefore not exactly same noise frequencies.and this constant noise frequencies shift causes this sepcefic hum,like imagine a sound and frequency curve moving up and down.. so with 4 fans this is quite noticable..so my theory is that if you manage to find two same type fans,that spin as close as possible to same speed,they will be significantly less noisy.

23. Rado D

Rado D

Thanks Received:
    I do not understand :) this.... also I will do the Intel Burn test for change and we can compare the results..

24. brandonwh64

Thanks Received:
    Ive been running prime95 (newest version) on max settings while surfing the web and listening to music and it hasn't broke 68 deg cel yet :) im almost 15 min in. ill let you know once the 30 min is up

Crunching for Team TPU
  25. Rado D

Rado D

Thanks Received:
    thats very nice so far..how is your room temperature?cos Im running IBT and so far I;ve hit highest 84 degrees,but I've realised that my room temperature is really high,cos its bloody freezing out there and my heating is on full power