1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Corsair PSU Price Gouging?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Hood, Nov 21, 2012.

1. Hood

Hood

Thanks Received:
    I love the new Corsair 80 Plus Platinum power supplies, the Flextronic-built AX760i & AX860i, and now the Seasonic-built AX760 & AX860 (Seasonic units are lacking the Corsair Link Dashboard connector and cable). All are state of the art, and priced accordingly. Corsair's prices on their website are $200 & $220 for the regular flavor, $230 & $250 for the "i" versions. If that's not high enough for you, go to compusa.com, where you'll find each variety priced a solid $20 over the Corsair list price, which is already $20 higher than the same units with Seasonic branding. I could maybe understand a little "creative pricing" on the Flextronic units, since they are unique to Corsair for now (no Flextronic brand is sold retail), but the Seasonic units are being priced $40 higher just for the Corsair sticker! Not cool. CompUSA claims to have the lowest prices anywhere, online or local stores, same price. Seems like they've been caught trying to boost their holiday bottom line at the expense of the unwary, pressed-for-time shopper. Shame on you, TigerDirect/CompUSA/BestBuy/Systemax! I'm definitely displeased with this news, since CompUSA is my only local place to buy computer parts. I'm curious to see how this plays out...

2. BarbaricSoul

BarbaricSoul

Thanks Received:
    If they claim to have the lowest prices, I'm sure they'll price match.

Crunching for Team TPU
  3. crazyeyesreaper

crazyeyesreaper Chief Broken Rig

Thanks Received:
    Compusa = Tiger Direct worse case, check Tiger Directs price, then if its different tell the store get bent? its like this anywhere if ppl are willing to pay for it at that price they will price it that way. Look elsewhere if you dont like the price. To be honest this practice is common place its called Capitalism lol.

Corsairs warranty and support tends to be top notch and is longer than most other companies, on top of that you get english support not someone who barely speaks english. Add to that Corsairs name in the industry of course Compusa is going to mark up the price, just like everyone else does,

Corsair's list price is a SUGGESTED RETAIL PRICE, not MANDATORY RETAIL PRICE, as such you get situations like this, want a 760i or 860i get it elsewhere lol.

TheLaughingMan, LordJummy and Hood say thanks.
  4. LordJummy

LordJummy New Member

Thanks Received:
    Bingo. You don't have to buy anything you don't want to. crazyeyesreaper is correct.

btw CER, I hope your avatar is for trolling, because it should be "You're". I can't be the first person to notice that, but I am rarely on these forums anymore.

5. Vlada011

Vlada011

Thanks Received:
    I suggest Seasonic Platinum 1000W or CORSAIR AX1200, I mean if you no need for so powerful PSU than CORSAIR AX Gold or Seasonic Platinum.
    Best option is maybe AX750 Gold and custom sleeved cables without srinks from moddiy site complete for CORSAIR AX Gold series, they are very expensive but only good sleeve cables if someone don't know to make MDPC-X.

6. Frag Maniac

Frag Maniac

Thanks Received:
  7. Vlada011

Vlada011

Thanks Received:
    sttubs says thanks.
  8. Frag Maniac

Frag Maniac

Thanks Received:
    HCPs are no slouch either, kinda splitting hairs really.

9. Omnisome

Omnisome New Member

Thanks Received:
    There is no such thing as "price gouging".

10. Garage1217

Garage1217

Thanks Received:
    Agreed, not price gouging at all. Seasonic supplies cost more for a reason as they are better measurement wise, stability wise and longevity wise. Corsair supplies built by seasonic which are equally good cost more for a reason as you are paying for the link (if equipped), black cables out of the box and also corsairs OUTSTANDING customer service. Corsair has built a heck of a reputation over the years not just for good product, but because they take care of their customers.

The 750W X series seasonic that Vlada011 mentioned is the BEST you will find for the cash right now. And I can vouch for the quality as I have owned several X series and currently own the same 750W model he linked :) That is the deal of the century right now on power supplies.

11. cdawall where the hell are my stars

Thanks Received:
    I will take the delta built HCP series any day. Line regulation on them is outstanding. Only beaten by the corsair axi units. Seasonic makes nice units but they are far from the only good one out there. It is still a dc-dc design if I'm not mistaken. After that it comes down to whomever has the best caps stuffed in the unit. That's one spot corsair is cheating out on and one delta/superflower is not. Both of those OEM's I would chose over seasonic any day.

Frag Maniac says thanks.
  12. Vlada011

Vlada011

Thanks Received:
    I have same PSU(X-750)keep in box, I use over one year and now keep like reserve PSU.
    But I pay about 165e in that time. Price of Seasonic X-750 drop so much but CORSAIR AX750 price stay almost same, their quality and score is same...
    only CORSAIR AX750 have 2 years more warranty and black cables and because of that people usually choose CORSAIR.

13. Frag Maniac

Frag Maniac

Thanks Received:
    Yes and that's why OEM Seasonics are trash compared to their high end models, they skimp on caps. Antec has pretty consistent pricing and quality of current output on any of their hgh end units, it's what they focus on. Caps are also the thing that degrades most in PSUs.